mrmagyar
13 years ago
I've just read a short article in the December issue of Practical Classics stating that the DVLA is refusing to issue V5C registration documents to owners of re-engined classic cars unless they can show the exchange engine's history i.e the full details of the supplier and the vehicle it came from. At first I thought this was an early April Fool or some kind of wind up but apparently it's being implempented to stop component theft. If this is correct then any engine you happen to be rebuilding in your garage or shed will be useless unless you know where it came from. I have a '56 30hp engine which I got from eBay which was taken out of a scrap Type 2. How am I supposed to prove all that when it comes to fitting in into my Oval? It's ridiculous! I sincerely hope that the British classic car clubs consolidate their might and get onto the government or whoever and stop this stupid act. Has anybody else heard anything about this or got something to add? I'm fuming!

Andy.

1949 Belgian Standard
1955 UK RHD De Luxe
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
13 years ago
Yep, my brother was telling me about this the other day - not good news at all. I've got a couple of engines from years ago, no paperwork with them as nothing was needed (one was given to me anyway), and now the DVLA is going to tell me I can't use them?

How is this going to stop component theft anyway? Just means the blocks are only worth scrap value, all the other parts could be sold on seperately.

I agree the classic clubs need to do something, like maybe fight for an exemption for cars over a certain age.

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
What a great idea. Force us to become criminals by restamping engine numbers on legitimately obtained parts. Bravo DVLA, you clueless t**ts.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
55Kab
13 years ago
The second to last poster on the buggy thread has it right, don't bother telling them.

I've never told them in the past and I wasn't intending on doing so in the future and I don't see it as a problem until the legislation changes. In that I mean having to provide a V5 at MOT time or having to provide it to your insurance company.

Interesting debate though as I agree with you Rob, the classic car movement should get on to parliment and lobby for cars that are say, tax exempt.

GKL 7
13 years ago
That's bloody rubbish.
What's the difference, in this case, between a classic car and someone blowing up the engine in a six month old Porsche.They wouldn't dare say that guy couldn't replace his engine incase it was a stolen unit,something that would be far more likely to be the case.
They just regard classic car owners as a pain in the a*s*,if all went as they would like,they'd then be marching on parliament because Mr.Cameron had cut their jobs because there was not enough work to go around.
As Martin said,don't tell them,i never have.
Unrelated Question...What is more harmful to the enviroment,running a classic car for daily use or building a whole new car??
48REME
13 years ago
Not just regarding this particular issue but am I dreaming or is this country turning into a complete dictatorship, crippled with red tape? What is going on nowadays? Everything is swamped with regulations, certificates, paperwork. I remember the days when we used to laugh at other EEC countries and their unnecessary regulations while we had it relatively easy here. I think we've now overtaken France and Germany! Sick of it!:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Oh and lest we forget...the ever prevailing 'health and safety' obsession!
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
Are they assuming it´s stolen unless you can produce a reciept?
What about sending them the details by recorded delivery - and telling them that they can consider themselves informed of the change, whether they choose to "accept" it or not. Then you´ve covered yourself somewhat.

And REME, you aren´t the only one peed off at the exponentially increasing amount of red tape regarding cars. I can´t believe how much it´s changed in the last five years or so.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
54 Gertie
13 years ago
It sounds awful, but you'll always be able to get round it. The only real downside is I'm sure the amount of matching numbers cars that are not, will go up.

We have engines lying about that we got years ago and didn't get receipts for, but I'm sure if we looked really hard we might find something. :wink: 😳
William
Ovaltine
13 years ago
Just how does this go:?:

My old '70 1200 has a replacement engine (1300) in it, but the original engine number is still shown on the V5 document. I want to have a 1200 fitted back for more originality, dare I inform the DVLA or just leave to V5 as it is:?
The way to end a good day out with your Split is with an Ovaltine!
TomF
13 years ago
Does anyone know when this comes into place? My oval hasn't got an engine in it at the moment! :evil:
pre67vw
13 years ago

Does anyone know when this comes into place? My oval hasn't got an engine in it at the moment! :evil:

TomF wrote:

I've read that it's been like this for some time, they're just getting hotter on it now.

If you're trying to decide whether or not to inform DVLA, I would bear in mind that it's not going to get any easier and it may become something that is enforced at MOT time (which is the next logical step) :cry:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
TomF
13 years ago

I've read that it's been like this for some time, they're just getting hotter on it now.

If you're trying to decide whether or not to inform DVLA, I would bear in mind that it's not going to get any easier and it may become something that is enforced at MOT time (which is the next logical step) :cry:

pre67vw wrote:

I was planning on telling them anyway, it makes sense because if your log book doesn't match your engine, questions might start getting asked if something were to happen.

I'm just worried it's going to be a nightmare declaring my new engine with the DVLA!
Ovaltine
13 years ago

pre67vw wrote:

Oh FFS, whats going to happen when my Beetle goes for its test next year, not only is the engine number different from that on the V5, so's the capacity:?

I've got no chance - I want to fit the correct 1200 engine, but its not the original, and by vintage Beetle (split/oval) standards the car has a low value, does it end-up being broken up.

Yep, DVLA, lets destroy as much motoring heritage as we can - they pay no damn tax anyway:evil:
The way to end a good day out with your Split is with an Ovaltine!