jonfowkes
13 years ago
Hi all,

does anyone know how to remove a 1954 handbrake lever? or have an assembly drawing?

I have to remove it before saturday to get it sprayed!!

thanks!

Jon
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rattletrap
13 years ago
Hi Jon, welcome to pre67vw:!:

I had the handbrake lever out of my '58 last weekend as I had a brake cable snap:evil:

A while since I did one on a car as early as your '54, but I don't expect there's much (if any) difference. First take the lock nuts off the cable ends at the handbrake. Where the hand brake hinges/pivots there is a thick pin (about 6mm) running through holding the lever in place. Look carefully at the end of the pin and you'll see a circlip (thin metal ring). Carefully prise this off (don't let it fly off and get lost), with a small screwdriver or sturdy tweezers, then you can push the pin out. The you can then lift out the lever. BUT be very careful not to press the release knob right in as you do this as there is an unsecured metal ratchet which will fall out into the tunnel, giving you lots of fun trying to hook it out with a piece of wire, as I had happen once :oops:

You can go to this site also, full illustrations:
https://www.vwheritage.com/vw_parts_Gear-Selector-Handbrake-Parts-and-Heater-Cables_act_page.render_pageID_140_lang_EN_country_GB.htm 

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
54 Gertie
13 years ago
'54 would have had a different hand brake setup to a '58. It used a long rod that actuated the cables just behind the front beam, much like on an all cable brake car.

I'll try to dig out a diagram.
William
jonfowkes
13 years ago
guys, thanks for your help, Getrie as you say the '54 is different as the handbrake cables come out of the front end.

will i have to loosen the cables before i can get the handbrake lever out?

cheers
Jon
Rattletrap
13 years ago
Thanks, Jon

My earlier cars are all cable brake Standard models – except Rattletrap, a Deluxe. Your set-up is the same as his :roll:

I'd guess the lever removal is similar though.
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
Mike Peckham
13 years ago
The hand brake mechanism changed in August 55 for the 56 model year, prior to the change the handbrake lever operated a push rod that ran through the tunnel to the point where the handbrake cables terminated behind a cover on the frame head.

On later models the handbrake cables terminated on the handbrake lever itself.

It's a long time since I've done it, but to remove the lever from a pre Aug 55 car I think is a matter of removing the gudgeon pin and disengaging the lever from the operating rod.

Jon, Rattletrap currently has a post August 55 Chassis so will have the later type of mechanism.

Mike
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
jonfowkes
13 years ago
thanks Mike,

i think thats where i'm stuck, the gudgeon pin is out but the lever doesn''t seem to want to come out/ I've removed the handbrake knob aswell already,

I'm not sure how to remove it from the operating rod.

I can't see the shape of the bottom of the handbrake lever so i'm not sure how it fits together with the cables below!

:( :?
Rattletrap
13 years ago

On later models the handbrake cables terminated on the handbrake lever itself.

It's a long time since I've done it, but to remove the lever from a pre Aug 55 car I think is a matter of removing the gudgeon pin and disengaging the lever from the operating rod.

Jon, Rattletrap currently has a post August 55 Chassis so will have the later type of mechanism.

Mike

Mike Peckham wrote:

Sound familiar, if not a little obvious now. I did a handbrake fitting a very long time ago on MRT 308, a Deluxe split :roll:

Rattletrap's looks like this :?

Don't think I'd re-open that debate here though :!:

RT Handbrake.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rattletrap
13 years ago

thanks Mike,

i think thats where i'm stuck, the gudgeon pin is out but the lever doesn''t seem to want to come out/ I've removed the handbrake knob aswell already,

I'm not sure how to remove it from the operating rod.

I can't see the shape of the bottom of the handbrake lever so i'm not sure how it fits together with the cables below!

:( :?

jonfowkes wrote:

Just a suggestion, as I'd need to have 'hands-on' with this to be certain, but would you not need to draw the push-rod forward at the tunnel end (front of car).

Mike Peckham
13 years ago

Just a suggestion, as I'd need to have 'hands-on' with this to be certain, but would you not need to draw the push-rod forward at the tunnel end (front of car).

Rattletrap wrote:

I think you're probaby right, maybe need to release the handbrake cables from the front so that the push rod can move forwards?

Mike
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
Rattletrap
13 years ago
Let us know how you got on Jon, a pic of your '54 would be nice 😎

jonfowkes
13 years ago
Guys thats great you may have just saved me with those pictures!!

great book by the way, what is it?

I'll try to get some pics of the bug on here.... not sure how to do it yet!!

Got up this morning to do the bug and am snowed in!!:roll:

cheers
Jon
54 Gertie
13 years ago

great book by the way, what is it?

jonfowkes wrote:

UserPostedImage

https://www.bentleypublishers.com/volkswagen/repair-information/vw-type-1-52-57-factory-repair-manual.html 

ISBN-13: 978-0-8376-0389-6

Very pricey, but so helpful. It's just a copy of the 'oval era' official VW repair manual. 😎
William