sneal
  • sneal
  • Regular Topic Starter
13 years ago
HELP!!!

Everyone knows the story. Car in the shop for a bit of body work and low and behold more rust than anyone thought.

So yes this is the story. Rotten in the bottom corners of the windscreen and filler'd before.

So.....

This is a big ask for anyone who has / knows someone with a windscreen scuttle panel for a 56 oval, I can buy?

Pretty please as i would like my car back and on the road.

I am based in south london, but will travel to get a rust free panel.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
13 years ago
https://www.hookyspanelshop.com/  (panels->miscellaneous) although they're not too hard to make.

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
55Kab
13 years ago
As Rob indicates above is it just the corners?

A whole scuttle panel for an Oval is not easy to find but if you need it try Owen first (vw garden).

sneal
  • sneal
  • Regular Topic Starter
13 years ago
Hi thanks I I'll try Owen at be garden. Hookys panels have been mentioned elsewhere but haven't chatted to the garage yet regarding. It's just the corners I need really. However there is about 6 inches by 1 inch wide slot of metal missing due to rust along the bottom of the windscreen working in from the corner towards the centre of the windscreen from both sides. I will post some pics later.
pre67vw
13 years ago
The trouble is that it's a common place for them to rust, so any car that's bad enough to break is most likely going to have a rusty scuttle. You might be able to cut enough from a later (non-oval) scuttle to repair the oval panel though? Julian has some dashboards for sale, one looks to have a reasonable scuttle attached (the black one)

https://www.partsemporium.co.uk 

UserPostedImage
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
GKL 7
13 years ago

The trouble is that it's a common place for them to rust

pre67vw wrote:

Yes,very little paint seemed to get up under the underside.On my last car it was almost only primer.
sneal
  • sneal
  • Regular Topic Starter
13 years ago
yeah I appreciate this is one of the usual places for the car to rust. Thanks for the replies.

I will chat to the garage.

Here is what I am up against....

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
sneal
  • sneal
  • Regular Topic Starter
13 years ago
Still on the hunt for a panel...
mrmagyar
13 years ago
Hi,
There's on on eBay at the moment. This link should take you to it but if it doesn't search for VW oval and you'll find it listed there.

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/volkswagen-beetle-oval-lhd-dashboard-clip-vw-type-1-/190430295340?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c5687b52c#ht_3454wt_905 

Cheers,
Andy
1949 Belgian Standard
1955 UK RHD De Luxe
Rattletrap
13 years ago
That is bad I agree. I've known worse to be repaired. If it were a 1940s Beetle for example you'd have to save the original (well I hope you would).:wink:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
64rotbox
13 years ago

After seeing who's selling it, I wouldn't touch it with the longest of barge poles. You probably wouldn't even receive the one in the photo if you bought "it". As it says: 'we have many different items of this nature this price is for our best condition item' (in the finest Comic Sans).
You can call me Al.
Caledfryn
13 years ago

After seeing who's selling it, I wouldn't touch it with the longest of barge poles. You probably wouldn't even receive the one in the photo if you bought "it". As it says: 'we have many different items of this nature this price is for our best condition item' (in the finest Comic Sans).

64rotbox wrote:

Is that what's left of the black Oval that Gwyn had at Ty Capel (and cover star to a certain show flyer)?
64rotbox
13 years ago
No, that never made it 'up there', and I think it was a RHD. George ended up with the chassis, IIRC...? Anyway, avoid.
You can call me Al.
GKL 7
13 years ago
I visited RCC on one occassion,something just wasn't right.
What,me George,ended up with the chassis?If so,Chris and i moved it on to a guy from the midlands(i,think),never saw the rest of the car 'tho(but it was dark blue and a standard,i believe)
64rotbox
13 years ago
Yes, you George... I think you had it lying about when I popped over that time? Dark blue standard, yes. Gwyn said it had about two inches of filler in the roof, and the shell was so twisted that it kept grabbing the cutting disc when he was chopping it up.

*Note before anyone starts bleating on: this was a very, very, very long time ago.

Anyway, back to the search for a *decent* scuttle panel...
You can call me Al.
sneal
  • sneal
  • Regular Topic Starter
13 years ago
Thanks for all your replies, much appreciated.

That dashboard panel on ebay doesnt have the windscreen corners on the front of it - I all ready checked!

But good news its all sorted - the garage got donor panels from an oval from sweden so the car is due for pick up later on this week - fanbloodytastic!

Just in time for the sun.....