59 convert
12 years ago
Hi guys, I know I'm in the right place for this question. I'm after a bonnet for the '59 and having a bit of trouble finding one. My question is, did they change much, or at all up to say, a '63? I've found a few '63s up for sale but I don't know if they're going to be 3 tabs or not.

Thanks in advance J
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
12 years ago
The 58-60 bonnets have the 4-tab badge slots with no raised plinth, re-inforcement panels on the inside upper corners. Earlier bonnets look the same but do not have the re-inforcement panels on the inside corners. 1961-62 bonnets have 3 offset holes for the VW badge. 63 bonnets have a raised plinth for the badge.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
69project
12 years ago
if you stopped denting them then you wouldnt need to ask.....[-x

only know of one person that will have nice ones of what u desire and he isnt cheap!

txt me j(:roll: )

Si
Car less.....
59 convert
12 years ago
Thanks Rich, you are a mind of VW knowledge, that must mean I've got the wrong bonnet on my car as I've got a three tab... saying that, as long as the look the same on the outside, I'm not gonna start crying about it... and Si, thanks for your input as well matey, I can always rely on you! :oops:
Looks like it might be going through the insurance now anyway.
Old Blue
12 years ago

The 58-60 bonnets have the 4-tab badge slots with no raised plinth, re-inforcement panels on the inside upper corners. Earlier bonnets look the same but do not have the re-inforcement panels on the inside corners. 1961-62 bonnets have 3 offset holes for the VW badge. 63 bonnets have a raised plinth for the badge.

Rich Oakley wrote:

I've a feeling our '56 has the raised plinth under the badge.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
Rich Oakley
12 years ago

I've a feeling our '56 has the raised plinth under the badge.

Old Blue wrote:

That means you have a 63 or later bonnet.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Foxy
12 years ago
This is what you need...

UserPostedImage

Compare it to the 55 one below and you can see the extra reinforcements Rich is talking about...

UserPostedImage

Hope that helps if you do decide to get the correct one.
Old Blue
12 years ago

That means you have a 63 or later bonnet.

Rich Oakley wrote:

I'll recheck when Jon has the car back home.

If thats the case, I wonder if a panel beater can remove the plinth, so at least it will look correct outside.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Rich Oakley
12 years ago

I'll recheck when Jon has the car back home.

If thats the case, I wonder if a panel beater can remove the plinth, so at least it will look correct outside.

Old Blue wrote:

It would be quite a lot of work to smooth that area off. I wouldn't worry about it.
59 convert
12 years ago

This is what you need...

UserPostedImage

Compare it to the 55 one below and you can see the extra reinforcements Rich is talking about...

UserPostedImage

Hope that helps if you do decide to get the correct one.

Foxy wrote:

Thanks for that Foxy, helps a lot!
Old Blue
12 years ago

It would be quite a lot of work to smooth that area off. I wouldn't worry about it.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Panic over, its flat. Jon came over in the '56 last Sunday, and I checked the bonnet.