vintagebug
12 years ago

A question for the UK guys:-

Can anyone tell me the rules on windscreen washers for the MOT? My '53 obviously doesn't have them factory-fitted & they've never been retro-fitted at any time since. So can the MOT inspector fail the car for this? Do I need to show that I can squirt water onto the 'screen? I found this on the web, & if you look at the very last statement on the page, under "Original Design" it says "Original vehicle design characteristics are to be accepted."

https://www.ukmot.com/6-1.asp 

There's no way I'm going to drill holes in the scuttle panel to fit a washer system! :thumbup:

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
64rotbox
12 years ago
An old chestnut. Lots of people try to play the 'original design characteristics' card, but in 1972 legislation was retrospectively applied to all vehicles with a fixed windscreen, saying tey have to have some sort of screenwash system. Some testers turn a blind eye, some testers can be fooled by the 'never had them, mate' approach, some testers will accept a squeezy bottle of water in the glovebox. However, they shouldn't. I'd at least rig up some sort of temporary system, even if it's pipes attached to the wiper arms.

The garage I use for tests nearly got into a whole load of deep shit over this issue, when I bluffed a Split camper (belonging to someone who occasionally posts on here) without washers through a test, which was then sold on. The new owners took it for a test elsewhere, where it (rightly) failed for having no washers, and they complained to VOSA about it having a 'bent' MOT in the first place. Suffice to say, nothing without washers passes at that garage anymore.
You can call me Al.
vintagebug
12 years ago

Cheers for the info. I kinda thought that'd be the case but wanted someone else to clarify/ confirm.
I'll probably rig up a squeezy bottle & a couple of pipes cable-tied to the wipers :roll: I'll also drop in to my local MOT garage tomorrow morning & see what they say about it.

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
The only other way but its a bit drastic is to take the windscreen out no windscreen no wipers or washers needed we used to do this on old Landrovers and present the car with the windscreen folded flat to the bonnet so making it a non testable item. :d

Andy w
Rattletrap
12 years ago

I'll probably rig up a squeezy bottle & a couple of pipes cable-tied to the wipers :roll:

vintagebug wrote:

Thats what I do, and when I get home with the MOT pass cert, off comes the whole thing.

However, should the police be doing road side checks, and you're stopped and you have no washers and a fixed windscreen... you could get 'done'. But the risk is small I'd say.:wink:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
kevsplitty
12 years ago
I asked at our station a few years ago & was told i needed some form of cleaning screen,funny thing now tho,ive since fitted safaris in my bus now washers dont come into m.o.t,no need if you have an opening window!:?
Old Blue
12 years ago

I asked at our station a few years ago & was told i needed some form of cleaning screen,funny thing now tho,ive since fitted safaris in my bus now washers dont come into m.o.t,no need if you have an opening window!:?

kevsplitty wrote:

There is an opening windscreen kit available now for Beetles, though Old Blue of course has factory fitted washers anyway.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!