Murphy
  • Murphy
  • Regular Topic Starter
11 years ago
went to collect my 55 oval from the lock up last night to let my missus have a drive of it we gets so far in it and the motor dies (its a stock 30hp 1200 original to the car i believe) so we coast to a stop.
I try to start it it turns a little then dies so i get out and try and turn it over by hand on the botom pulley it turns over so far freely then stops like its hitting something, you can then turn it back the opposite way so far then it stops like its hitting something???
then jog/walked/ran a mile to collect my golf from said lock up to tow the oval back....

does this sound as terminal as im thinking??? your views please

Sean
1955 LHD Oval / 1960 11 window microbus - they're both pretty low
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
RoRoVw
11 years ago
That doesn't sound too promising. Were there any horrible noises when it stopped or did it just cut out?
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
Sounds like it might not be terminal. If it turns a good way through, then it may have nipped up on one cylinder only and you´ll get away with replacing just one. Although it doesn´t sound very positive I must admit.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Murphy
  • Murphy
  • Regular Topic Starter
11 years ago
no real horrible noises it was driving along quite nicely it just cut out and died like i say i wasnt driving at the time of the incident.
:(
i have a 1600 twinport i could transfer in but thats a whole heap of work i guess considering the car is still running 6 volts and the original gearbox
pre67vw
11 years ago
I think it would be worth trying to figure out what's happened before you tear into your car to fit a 1600. Try taking off the fanbelt, just to confirm its something hitting in the engine, then pop off the valve covers and take a look to make sure it's all OK in there - may have dropped a valve.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Murphy
  • Murphy
  • Regular Topic Starter
11 years ago

I think it would be worth trying to figure out what's happened before you tear into your car to fit a 1600. Try taking off the fanbelt, just to confirm its something hitting in the engine, then pop off the valve covers and take a look to make sure it's all OK in there - may have dropped a valve.

pre67vw wrote:

cheers yeah i will try that i doubt its anything in the dynamo but ya never know.. Could well be a valve i was wondering that last night but couldnt figure out how it would lock up the engine

ill keep you posted on my findings

Sean
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
If the head of the valve has falen off or stuck or bent it will.

Andy W
Murphy
  • Murphy
  • Regular Topic Starter
11 years ago

If the head of the valve has falen off or stuck or bent it will.

Andy W

AW wrote:

thats a very valid point what was i thinking!!!:cry: :omg:

does the rear valance unbolt from an oval?? ive never removed a beetle engine before
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
NO you have to get the backend high in the air. flip the rocker covers off first and see if there is anything amiss on the rockers also take the plugs out and see if there is any damage to the electrode

Andy W
Murphy
  • Murphy
  • Regular Topic Starter
11 years ago
cheers
ianmac
11 years ago
as already pointed out flip the rocker covers off and take a look at the valves, then try turning motor by hand in my experience 30hp motors have a nasty habit of breaking cams / lifters unfortunately.
Murphy
  • Murphy
  • Regular Topic Starter
11 years ago
quickly whipped of the rockers this afternoon found this on cylinder 2
UserPostedImage
exhaust valve its an unbelievably clean/square cut where the rest of it should be attached all the rest of the valves seem in tact
i guess the next step is to pull the engine?

Sean
Kev
  • Kev
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
A dropped valve is a common issue but more common on cylinder number 3 where the exhaust valve runs hotter due to the oil cooler position.

When it happened to me (on cylinder number 3) the valve head smashed through the top of the piston and caused all sorts of damage to the crank journals etc. That locked the engine up solid after lots of noise, so you may be lucky and just have some localised damage in that cylinder.

defo an engine out job now :!:
nicolass
11 years ago
I had a broken valve in cylinder 1 , and very lucky only the piston and and valve must be replaced .After this the engine runs perfect as it was
Cheers Nicolass  008.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  002.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Murphy
  • Murphy
  • Regular Topic Starter
11 years ago
wow now im intruged to find out whats gone wrong, damn you lot as i dont really have the funds once ive found out to put it right unless its cheap!!!
Kjell Roar
11 years ago
Take out the engine and take off the head.
Inspect the damage.
If your lucky, you only need a new valve, a piston set and some gaskets, put it all toghether, and drive (I have a used piston and cylinder, 30 hp).
But check the valve guide for wear, valves breaks easier when they are great wear.
August 55 T1- one of the first 56' (# 30).