pipvan
  • pipvan
  • Regular Topic Starter
11 years ago
Hi, all i have just pulled the oval off the road for a much needed service and tidy up, i have replaced the oil quite frequently but never done much else, So my question is what engine items would you service and where can you buy the bits. Ive been looking for points and condensors but all seem to say from 58 onwards or later in the item description. I have changed the oil in the oil bath and got new leads and plugs.

Would you do a new gasket set for the carb??
would you fit a new oil pressure sensor??

Also is there a gasket under the dynamo as i seem to have a little weep from that area.

I Am also going to push the boat out and buy some proper white wall tyres. I want some wide band ones, so what size should i be looking for and any particular brands or suppliers to use?

Any other top tips and info welcome? :thumbup:

57 Oval
62 Bug
65 Split
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
11 years ago
For a service, points, plugs, condensor, oil, check and adjust valve clearances (so you'll need 2 x 30bhp rocker cover gaskets). Lubricate front beam, pedals and handbrake cables (if still fitted with grease nipples). All parts available from VW Heritage and Karmann Konnection.

No need to touch the carb if it's working ok and not leaking.
No need to change the oil pressure switch unless you have problems with it.
No need to change the gasket under the dynamo either, they usually weep there a little.

Whitewall tyres from Vintage Tyres in Beaulieu...
https://www.vintagetyres.com/item/240/560-15-firestone-car-tyre--road--70mm-white-wall 

47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
pipvan
  • pipvan
  • Regular Topic Starter
11 years ago
Thanks Very much Rich not tried Karmann yet but i have been looking through the vw heritage site and cant find points or condensor for the year 57 all later ???????
57 Oval
62 Bug
65 Split
Rich Oakley
11 years ago

Thanks Very much Rich not tried Karmann yet but i have been looking through the vw heritage site and cant find points or condensor for the year 57 all later ???????

pipvan wrote:

Look under 25/30bhp engine parts

47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
vintagebug
11 years ago
Don't forget that pre67VW members get 10% discount at Karmann Konnection, & 5% discount (plus free carriage, mainland UK) at Vintage Tyres. It's listed in the "Members Only" section on this very website... :wink:

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
pipvan
  • pipvan
  • Regular Topic Starter
11 years ago
Thanks Guys top info, if you are doing quite a few miles would you avoid the cross plys and stick some normal radials on and then maybe just fit the cross plys for a nice ride out or a show.

57 Oval
62 Bug
65 Split
Rich Oakley
11 years ago

Thanks Guys top info, if you are doing quite a few miles would you avoid the cross plys and stick some normal radials on and then maybe just fit the cross plys for a nice ride out or a show.

pipvan wrote:

I personally think crossplies are fine. They do feel different to driving with radials, but they look super-cool in my opinion.
vintagebug
11 years ago
I run Esso crossplies on my '53. As Rich says, they feel different to radials, and tbh you may feel less safe, especially if you'll be driving the car frequently. They won't be as effective in the wet, and I've also noticed that I can feel a slight "wander" when I go over the dotted white lines! Maybe that's just my driving though...

If you'll be driving it on a regular basis it might be a good idea to do what you suggested- use radials & fit crossplies when going to a show.

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
pipvan
  • pipvan
  • Regular Topic Starter
11 years ago
Thanks Guys

57 Oval
62 Bug
65 Split