pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
11 years ago
Just found this advert on the web for a '63 cabrio with red sides, looks very nice - maybe I should two tone my '65? Although, I don't think it's correct for a 60's cabrio is it? When did Karmann stop two-toning?

https://classiccargallery.com 

UserPostedImage
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Robb
11 years ago
late 50's i think Rob.

but hey we can all break the mould :lol:
GKL 7
11 years ago
I have only ever seen Pre '53 cabrios with factory painted contrasting side panels,possibly a Zwitter cabrio was the last to have them.
I think any cabrio suits them but for some reason i don't think it looks right on a saloon,
'tho many must like it because i've seen a lot painted that way.
In the image posted,it certainly seems to make the car look older.
Rich Oakley
11 years ago
Most two-tone colours finished in March '53 with the start of Oval production, but you could still order Atlantic Green/Pastel Green and Texas Brown/Sahara Beige until December 1953. After that, no more two-tone colours from the factory.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
chrisbug91
11 years ago

Is it just my eyes or is the passenger door a really bad fit?
1975 1300 (1 family owned)
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
11 years ago
Does look a bit low at the latch end, is the swage line a bit wobbly too?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
chrisbug91
11 years ago

pre67vw wrote:

Looks it to me, considering the article uses the words 'Period perfect' and 'thorough restorer' its quite poor in my view. I know they are a pig to get cabrio doors to fit correctly though.
1975 1300 (1 family owned)
Rich Oakley
11 years ago

Most two-tone colours finished in March '53 with the start of Oval production, but you could still order Atlantic Green/Pastel Green and Texas Brown/Sahara Beige until December 1953. After that, no more two-tone colours from the factory.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Come to think of it, I have seen several '54s and '55s in two-tone. Maybe factory special order?
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
GKL 7
11 years ago

pre67vw wrote:

I've seen pictures of my X-cabrio look like that when taken and the door was not closed correcrly.I can assure you the door was a perfect fit when closed all the way home.Maybe a similar story.
GKL 7
11 years ago

Come to think of it, I have seen several '54s and '55s in two-tone. Maybe factory special order?

Rich Oakley wrote:

I think they would have painted them two tone pink if you had ordered it that way and was prepared to foot the bill.
Rich Oakley
11 years ago

I think they would have painted them two tone pink if you had ordered it that way and was prepared to foot the bill.

GKL 7 wrote:

mmmm... tasteful.