Localceleb49
11 years ago
Hi all,

It's been over a year since entering the World of Splits and I've managed to collect most of the parts for the 49' Standard that I adopted to redo the chassis to it's original state, including a late 49 crash box, most cable brakes parts from the early to late 40's (still could do with a correct type long rod that goes from the hand brake to the cable rod) and other interesting parts from the 40's.

It's become an obession to the point of bankcruptcy :smile:

There is one part that has eluded me which I really need in order to get things going and that is a complete front beam for a late 49/early 50's chassis. Unfortunately the one on mine has been butchered (along with other parts!) to lower the car and it just distubs me :unsure:

If there is anyone who may know where I can get one of these I would appreciate it lots, I really would like to start putting the car together and get it going on ot's travels sometime this year - saying that, I would still need a full interior, I only have one 1946 front seat base with crusty OG material and a 49' door panel which means the interior is sparse, even for a standard!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help,
Leon.
1949 Standard Beetle
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
vintagebug
11 years ago
There are a few Split front beams for sale on The Samba. One of them is in France, and he says he can bring it to Dubfreeze. I've no idea if it's correct for a '49 though...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1362901 

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
Localceleb49
11 years ago
Thanks for the link Dave,

I've bought a few parts from that chap, he did mention the beam a while back when I was after one. From what I found out it is not an early split one as there is no serial number on the bumper stop arm - at least he couldn't find one.

I'm being fussy I know but want to do it right(ish), it's gotta be an oldie, preferable complete, so not too sure about that particular one.

The search continues... 🙂
1949 Standard Beetle
Localceleb49
11 years ago
Nicolass - tried to PM you but your mailbox is showing as full.
Cheers, Leon.
1949 Standard Beetle
11 years ago

Thanks for the link Dave,

I've bought a few parts from that chap, he did mention the beam a while back when I was after one. From what I found out it is not an early split one as there is no serial number on the bumper stop arm - at least he couldn't find one.

I'm being fussy I know but want to do it right(ish), it's gotta be an oldie, preferable complete, so not too sure about that particular one.

The search continues... 🙂

Localceleb49 wrote:

That beam has got a steering damper mount - so it is definitely NOT early...
www.vwoval.co.uk
69project
11 years ago
I have one in classifieds at 100 quid...but it's provisionally sold pending collection but you never know!
Car less.....
vintagebug
11 years ago

That beam has got a steering damper mount - so it is definitely NOT early...

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

You're right, I missed that! When did they gain the steering damper?

Dave
Rich Oakley
11 years ago

You're right, I missed that! When did they gain the steering damper?

vintagebug wrote:

47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
vintagebug
11 years ago
Cheers Rich. I didn't realise it was that late.

Dave
Localceleb49
11 years ago
Thank you for all information. I have been offered a bare beam from June 1950 from a Pre67 forum chap, it has the correct shock mounts for June 1949 to August 1950 period.

The hard work will be removing & transferring all the parts from my current beam, which sounds like it is from the early 60's as it has the steering damper bracket on it.

*Cheers for the great site*
1949 Standard Beetle
vintagevw
11 years ago
You need five hands to get everything together, the rod, the pedals, the handbrake and the cables included the gearboxcable at one time
I've done it for the second time a few moths ago and is not that easy. :beer:  057 (Small).JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Wat is het fijn om lesbisch te zijn!
Localceleb49
11 years ago
Fancy doing a third cable brake set up :smile:
Really nice job on the Chassis Vintagevw :beer:

I've cleaned up the late 49/early 50 axle and now just need to transfer all the parts from my current one. Managed to locate some NOS 49' leaves recently too. This is probably going to get messy..

Before cleaning up the beam;
UserPostedImage 
and after a good ol' bit of elbow grease and paint.
UserPostedImage 
1949 Standard Beetle
nicolass
11 years ago
Nice job Leon :thumbup:
mrmagyar
11 years ago
Hi Leon,
That looks really good! What month is your Standard? I have a December '49 so if you need any pics or help with anything just drop me a line.
Cheers,
Andy.
1949 Belgian Standard
1955 UK RHD De Luxe
Localceleb49
11 years ago
Thanks Nico and Andy,

My Standard is a November '49 so would be a similar set-up to yours - I saw a very nice December 49' at Lavenham (yours?) last year next to a sweet 47' 🙂

I probably will be needing help once I get going with things - main mission for me is getting the car to fire up - since selling off the supercharger and installing a standard set-up, a Bosch 383 and trying a number of early 40's KDF carbs it's not coming to life 😞

Pouring petrol directly down the carb shaft fires the car up for a sec then nothing, so guessing there is spark just no/not enough fuel getting to the engine. The car did work with the Judson so the fuel pump should be okay, although it does have a lighter spring for the previous set-up installed which may make a difference?!?

Anyway, hopefully get it going one day and back on the roads.

Cheers,
Leon.

1949 Standard Beetle
Rich Oakley
11 years ago

Thanks Nico and Andy,

My Standard is a November '49 so would be a similar set-up to yours - I saw a very nice December 49' at Lavenham (yours?) last year next to a sweet 47' 🙂

I probably will be needing help once I get going with things - main mission for me is getting the car to fire up - since selling off the supercharger and installing a standard set-up, a Bosch 383 and trying a number of early 40's KDF carbs it's not coming to life 😞

Pouring petrol directly down the carb shaft fires the car up for a sec then nothing, so guessing there is spark just no/not enough fuel getting to the engine. The car did work with the Judson so the fuel pump should be okay, although it does have a lighter spring for the previous set-up installed which may make a difference?!?

Anyway, hopefully get it going one day and back on the roads.

Cheers,
Leon.

Localceleb49 wrote:

Is fuel getting into the float chamber in the carb ok? Disconnect the fuel pipe from the carb and see if it delivers fuel when the engine is turned over. The fuel pressure is adjustable (and quite sensitive too) by adding/removing gaskets from the fuel pump pedestal.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Localceleb49
11 years ago
Thanks for the advice Rich.

I have turned the motor over by hand and spurts of petrol come out of the fuel pump line on every rotation.. To be honest I think the line connection to the carb is bad and I need a proper 8mm set-up for a secure fitting (fuel leaking when engine turned), the fuel is probably not all getting to the float, mainly just dribbling down the Carb from observations when testing!. Just need the lines and a proper split fuel pump at some point.
I'll let you know how I get on..

Oh, Anyone with a split gear stick rod hanging around that they want to sell let me know, the one in my car is from the 60's so is no good for the original set-up I'm carrying out. Wonder what other horrors I will discover..

*Cheers*
1949 Standard Beetle