BEETLE MAN
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
11 years ago
No, don't recognise it. Looks like it's lost its original plate very very recently if it's a UK car.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
BEETLE MAN
11 years ago
Do the wings look like proper oval wings to you?
vintagebug
11 years ago
It's difficult to tell from those photos. The rears should have pressings between the wing-to-body mounting holes. The fronts should have a pronounced lip at the bottom of the rear edge, where they meet the front of the running board. You might need to contact the seller & ask for more detailed pics.

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
chrisbug91
11 years ago
This was for sale earlier on in the year (link below). I thought it was an Australian import but could be wrong.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vw-beetle-oval-1955-/271130920181?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3f20a984f5&nma=true&si=Fx6xwASzkdxMaxzwa5Y0YctiQGY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 
1975 1300 (1 family owned)
lifeintheslowlane
11 years ago

This was for sale earlier on in the year (link below). I thought it was an Australian import but could be wrong.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vw-beetle-oval-1955-/271130920181?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3f20a984f5&nma=true&si=Fx6xwASzkdxMaxzwa5Y0YctiQGY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 

chrisbug91 wrote:

My thoughts too...Aussie import. It has one of those Aussie hood logos.

John.
Rattletrap
11 years ago
The number plates are early 1960s configuration. For 1955 it should be three letters then number(s).

Age related plates at a guess, so an import probable, and being RHD means S.Africa or Aussie most likely.

But hey, its a lovely looking car and right-hand-drive:beer:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
BEETLE MAN
11 years ago
Are the rear lights correct for a 55 and should the doors have the rib inside?
karlito
11 years ago
Must.Resist.
vintagebug
11 years ago

Are the rear lights correct for a 55 and should the doors have the rib inside?

BEETLE MAN wrote:

If it's a Sept '55 (ie '56 model year)then yes, the rear lights are correct and the doors are also correct. They lost the ribs in August '55. Twin tailpipes are also correct, as is the steering wheel and the seat pattern. However, the semaphores should be painted body colour (a minor point).

It's definitely an import, as the seller says so in his original advert. Probably Australia. Number plate is a DVLA one for imports, I've seen pics of a couple of Ovals with "xxx YUF" plates.
Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
Fernando Pal
11 years ago
It´s a good price
FP
11 sedan de luxe oval
6/1955
early bay camper 4/1971
BEETLE MAN
11 years ago
it is an Australian import. I have asked to seller for more photos but he hasn't sent any over.
55Dave