bigoval
  • bigoval
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
10 years ago
I have just taken ownership of this rather interesting car...

Drove it back "down south" from Kings Lynn and never missed a beat!

Although it seems the old girl doesn't like me :roll:

Blew the fuse for the semaphores (and a sidelight bulb)on the way home... so I was giving hand signals to turn right!

All the "modern" motorists did seem to spot the semaphores (or my arm) without any issue.... and it will do 70 without any problems - which for a stock 1200 can't be bad!

Lifted the deck lid earlier this week to be met with an almighty bang when the lid got to the top.... it appears that the spring in the middle of the deck lid has broken out the section of the lid its connected to!

All just teething problems I hope!

All in all a very nice stock car (although with static seatbelts) that drives like it should - original matching numbers, non-syncro first gear, and retains 6V system through out!

I just have to remember to PUSH the brake pedal!

Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
10 years ago
Welcome to the forum :beer:

Any pics? :thumbup:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
bigoval
  • bigoval
10 years ago
https://s539.photobucket.com/user/davesandell/library/VXY%20446 

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
pre67vw
10 years ago
Cool, I wondered if it was that car.

Peppercorn Photos 
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
bigoval
  • bigoval
10 years ago
Well it's good to see that it hasn't changed much since those photos were taken!

I don't have the rear luggage rack.... I do have the eye lids... but I'm not a fan so I won't be putting them back on...

The only difference being the bumpers could now use a re-chrome as they're peeling 😞

Is there any way I can find out more about this car?
It was registered in the UK in '59 - where did it spend 2 years??

Dave
Old Blue
10 years ago
Interesting car. The rear window goes so well with the small winscreen. Shame in 1957/8 the screen was enlarged and so spoilt the dome shape.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
Rich Oakley
10 years ago
Always liked this car.

It is likely it was bought by somebody in the Forces stationed overseas. Probably ordered 'export spec' with the towel rail bumpers, spare wheel well reinforcement panel and km/h speedo.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
bigoval
  • bigoval
10 years ago
So with export spec they would have produced a German built RHD car - with all the usual UK spec options, and any other requested options?

What would have been standard spec for windscreen washers on Beetles of this age?
Mike Peckham
10 years ago

What would have been standard spec for windscreen washers on Beetles of this age?

bigoval wrote:

It wouldn't have left the factory with any, but depending on the market that it was exported to, It might or might not have had some fitted by the Dealer. In the UK they were a legal requirement and most dealers fitted a washer set made by "Tudor".

Mike

July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
bigoval
  • bigoval
10 years ago
So all I need to do is track down a period correct kit?

It has a '60s washer bottle and ivory knob in it at present - but it isn't the best of adaptions....
Mike Peckham
10 years ago
I just did a quick search on Ebay and quite a few NOS sets came up, including one made by Tudor and one by Hella. They might have been 60s so perhaps a bit late for your '57 (which is very nice by the way :smile: ) but something should come up.

Mike
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
bigoval
  • bigoval
10 years ago
Well I must be searching ebay for the wrong thing as I couldn't find anything relevant on there... there seem to be some odd parts available from thesamba but not any complete kits of the right era?
pre67vw
10 years ago
Saw this today and thought I'd post it here.  5664970068_e0d2fc236f_b.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
10 years ago
That's my old car 🙂 I have a lot of fond memories of that car, I did come close to buying it back 6 months ago. I still have it's original US spec bumpers.
bigoval
  • bigoval
10 years ago
Could I tempt you to part from those bumpers? As the set fitted at the moment are a repro set 😞 and in rather a worse state than I originally thought.... I am also having trouble finding a decent set available anywhere to replace them!

Does anyone have any advice for an earthing issue with snowflake rear lights as I'm having a spot of bother with those too at the moment!

Although having changed the side and headlight bulbs and seals the front lights are sorted - and the semaphores blowing fuses was as a result of them sticking so a spot of lubrication later and they are behaving perfectly again.
billy739
10 years ago
do you have the birth cert from vw?

my uk reg 59 was built in 58 , built for the Cyprus market but then sent to uk as a new car apparently it was a common goings on . rhd ect . apparently it was easier to get cars this way . not sure why.
bigoval
  • bigoval
10 years ago
I have finally got around to ordering the birth certificate for it from VW. We will have to see what gems this shows up....

The mystery deepens!

UserPostedImage
bigoval
  • bigoval
10 years ago
Restoration photos showing the back window (amongst other things) are being scanned - they will arrive soon!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
bigoval
  • bigoval
10 years ago
The good news is the original engine is still in the car :)

The bad news is what on earth was it doing being destined for Zambia - 2 years before arriving in London!? (see birth cert. above)

It is sure to keep me busy over the winter!