Old Blue
10 years ago
Jon was stopped while driving the oval recently, exceeding the 20mph speed limit in a side street. The officer asked to see his documents, but as the car is MOT exempt he had no MOT cert. The policeman was of the opinion that as the car is not stock (lowered with replacement wheels) it should have an MOT test each year. I thought that if a car is built before 1960 it is MOT exempt whatever the changes made.

We've not heard anymore about it though.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
10 years ago
I've seen nothing to say that modified cars need an MOT.
exempt is exempt...
www.vwoval.co.uk
Rattletrap
10 years ago
I think that they should have the test.

I saw a heavily modified 1947 Austin 10 a week ago. All that was original was the chassis number and part of the body frame - yes really! All running gear was brand-new modern and powerful (V8 and so on). Most the body was built to owner's taste all interior was modern, but no seat belts!! Its exempt from that too because its a '1947'. I chatted to the owner and he was so pleased that his car was MOT and tax exempt. How can that car be classified as historic. Its fast and so dangerous if not maintained by an expert, so should be tested and pay road tax like any other modern vehicle.:thumbdn:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378