Kaizen
9 years ago
Hi all,

Can anybody help me out?, I have fitted a new 6 volt starter motor to my 30hp Bug and I now need to change the starter motor bush in the bell housing, has anybody got an extractor tool to help me remove the old one? I am willing to rent, buy or borrow your tool to use just once, I live in the midlands, the 6 volt set-up is smaller than a 12 volt unit, I am very happy to return your tool after I have finished the job

I am willing to collect within a resonable distance or pay for the postage if this would be better?

Cheers all....

David
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
9 years ago
They arenĀ“t horrifically tight in the gearbox IIRC. You ought to be able to tap it out with a suitably sized piece of metal and a hammer.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
pre67vw
9 years ago
I assume the engine is still in the car, otherwise it's so easy you wouldn't be asking...

I've heard a lot of people use an m14 tap and start to cut a thread into it, then put a bolt into it and pull on the bolt. Remember to soak the new one in oil over night before you install so it absorbs a bit, then wipe it dry before installing.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Rich Oakley
9 years ago

I assume the engine is still in the car, otherwise it's so easy you wouldn't be asking...

I've heard a lot of people use an m14 tap and start to cut a thread into it, then put a bolt into it and pull on the bolt. Remember to soak the new one in oil over night before you install so it absorbs a bit, then wipe it dry before installing.

Originally Posted by: pre67vw 

Spot on Rob. M14 tap does the trick. Haven't had to do that for ages.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.