zelensis61
18 years ago
Hi there,
noticed this at the samba this evening.

hebmuller 14-00006 for sale :
asking price : drop the 4, drop the - and replace the 6 with 0, push the numbers together and ad $.....
( hope I can count this time :wink: )

A lot of money as you ask me.

https://thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=185075 

For those who have the money, buy it, if nr 5 get lost on the moon for exemple , you own the oldest Hebmuller 2 seater VW :lol:
ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
18 years ago
Don Garies' old car. 2nd oldest in the world, but not restored very well and certainly not worth that amount of $$.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
heb623
18 years ago
All my respect for late Don Garies but what do the people think who are trying toe sell his Hebmuller?
That this Heb or certain parts of this Heb are made out of gold?
Like Rob says it is not an example of a decent restored car!!!
But if people are despirate most strange things can happen! Even buying a 100.000$car :shock: (around Euro 82.000,-!!!) :shock: :shock: :shock:
But yeah, original or not,decent restored or not, it is Heb006! :?
And you have to pay a price for that too!!! :roll:

:twisted: ET

I ’ll never regret the things I did wrong!
I only regret the good things I did for the wrong people!
plasticblack
18 years ago
However... When you look at what people are asking for reproduction Hebmuller Parts.. you can see why even a poorly restored original is being sold for so much money?

If you broke this car down into its component parts, and sold them off, it would be easliy get $100,000.

And thats looking at the cost of repro window frames , overriders , screen frames and engine lids.

Lets face it just those few items will cost you about $4000!! So if you consider that you'll still need all the other Heb parts to even begin a replica, It doesn't seem that much to me.

Thanks

Paul
pre67vw
18 years ago
I doubt that you would raise $100,000 by selling off the parts. Brazilian wings, ford rear view mirror and lots of other incorrect, later and replica parts. The engine lid was repaired with parts from a '57 or a '58. Fibreglass fender skirts. I hope it still has cable brakes as he was thinking about binning them in favour of later hydraulic ones. Thats not to mention the relocated Heb badge and the off centre rear window.

I used to be in contact with Don when he was restoring the car and he went through some very bad situations. He was getting ripped off everywhere he turned and didn't have the money to get it restored at a reputable big name company. People online used to really give him a hard time as he was so public with his mistakes - everything listed above was sent by Don to several mailing lists and unless they've since been fixed then that car is not worth the money they are asking. And if the person who buys it wants a correct Heb then they have another bunch of money on top to sort it out.

If I had a $100,000 to spare - would I buy it? Hell yes, its #6 :wink:

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Bruce Braun
18 years ago
I wish someone would buy my Hebmuller for $100,000US.

Bruce :idea:
pre67vw
18 years ago
Hi Bruce, yours is probably worth it though :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
heb623
18 years ago
Maybe Don's (rip) Hebmuller is worth that money too when equipped with that decklid of plasticblack!!!
BTW plasticblack is your backname Taylor??

jones60rag
18 years ago
well heb #6's decklid is the origanal lid for that car it was not a stamped deck lid like all the other hebs. It was welded and that car still falls under the class of prototype considering it was built way before the complaint about the bodys being to weak. I know that car from top to bottom so if you have any questions on anything on that car i can answer them. The fender skirts are foxcraft and not fiberglass and the back window is not off center that was fixed. So if you have any question then you can e-mail me at [email protected]

Scott
pre67vw
18 years ago
I guess you're the 'Scott' that Don was always complaining about? :wink: Welcome to the forum...

First off, #6 was certainly not a prototype, it was early production. Secondly, Don told me that the rear window was 'fixed' by using an oversize window - this is not correct for a Heb, there is one size rear window and oversize is not it.

A Heb is one of the most difficult VW's to restore as many of the parts just aren't available, I understand that you have to make compromises. But when you're asking $100k for a car, it should be correct down to every detail - including the front bumper mounts...
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
jones60rag
18 years ago
well i have no control on the price that is set by the son in law. i do admit that not everything is %100 right on it. like the semp were stollen and don had me put those on untill he could find the right ones. I am not saying that don did everything right considering i was young and not fully skilled at doing everything a shop did with 10 men. but i also did my best with what i had to do the car and spent many on many hours discusing ( yelling back and forth with don) on things that should and should not be. I do know the car was a prodution car but there still things that were being used on it to test the car out. so in a way it is and it isn't but thats not the point. I am just trying to say out of all the people that ripped don off and stole from him i am the only one that acually got the car done and to this day never got anything for it. i work more hours then i should have on that car and did so many things to try and get the car correct but don wanted somethings the way they were like the front bumper brackets i know they are wrong but thats what he wanted to use. he spent money on things not needed and wouldn't spend money on the things needed. But hell for what it is worth i thing i did a pretty good job considering what tools i had to use and the situation i had to work in. If i had the skills i have now i could have done alot better work. at least the car is still around and not sitting cut up somewhere.

Scott
pre67vw
18 years ago
Scott, That sounds like a pretty honest answer to me. From what I heard, you are the one guy that didn't rip Don off. I'd love to get hold of a hi-res photo of Don with the car for my collection if you have one, maybe some other photo's of the build up too. Regardless of how it was restored, its still an important car in the history of VW's
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
heb623
18 years ago
I really like to buy this car!!!
Can the seller e mail me his "lowest" selling price!!!

six-o-one
18 years ago
Hi Heb623,
Will you sell your 'cheap' hebmüller to Rob (not the one in the box) and buy this expensive Heb instead?

Or are you starting to collect a fleet of hebmüllers to use as Taxis? 😃

six-o-one
zelensis61
18 years ago
Hi
I think ET is going to collect hebmullers so he can choose 1 a day.

A black one on monday
on thuesday a black one
on wednesday a black one
on Thursday ... a black one
on friday .... yess a black one please,
On saturday.....hmmm ...... OK I'll take the black one .

and on sunday?

.......a yukon yellow 68 convertible......

Greetz ...
ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
jones60rag
18 years ago
i will check with him and give him your info
heb623
18 years ago
To jones60rag:
Thanks in advance! :wink:

To Zelensis61:
On saturdays I always drive my "black" 1951 split window! :roll:

zelensis61
18 years ago
ET,
OK , I understand...

That is of coarse because the Audi is not repaired yet? :wink:

Still no news from the rubberman, sorry. :cry:
Greetings.
heb623
18 years ago
Hello Z61,

I can't remember my Audi was broken!!! :?

Concerning the rubberman: you don't have to ask him anymore because I already found the rubber! But thanks anyway!! :wink:

At the end of the week (thursday or friday) the chassis of my Hebmuller will be finished so the body will be put on it! :shock:

If I can win the lottery :lol: than I can start to finish the Heb, so some patience more till Bad Camberg 2007!!

I promised Misses Willy Lotermann that BC 2007 would be the first meeting I would visit with my Heb!!! :oops:

Ofcourse photographs will be shown as soon as the Heb is ready, ok? :evil: