58BUG
  • 58BUG
  • Regular Topic Starter
18 years ago
On my 58 I currently have odd headlights:
One with a purely lined lense and adjusters in one position and the other with a kind a spot magnifier lense and adjusters in a difering position to the first.

I assume one is older, the question I have is what are the correct headlights for a 58?? :lol:
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
ralphtown
18 years ago
58 I would think ,should have the Hella lamp.
This is a very nice item with "HELLA" in the lens at the top.
Adjuster positions vary.
you might have adjustment points at the "20 past 4" position,like on my 57 or "10 past 4" is another,I think.

Best bet here is take a good look at "Original VW Beetle" by Lawrence Merideth.
It will be found for sale on this site.

Very good if you intend on restoring to stock condition.

Can,t comment on the other lamp without seeing it but I,m pretty sure you should have the Hella lamps.

If you are looking for a set,place an ad here or take a look on samba.com

RALPH.
ralphtown
18 years ago
further research reveals you should have a hella headlamp with VW manufactured into the lens.

If you can find a copy,look out the front cover of the Haynes "Restoring VW Beetle and Bus" book.

These are correct for your year.
There are some for sale on here,I believe.
You,ll find some on Samba.com no doubt and Karmann Konnection will have some for sure.

Enjoy.

RALPH.
Rich Oakley
18 years ago
If it's a European car, they would have most likely been Bosch not Hella (both companies were OEMs to VW from 1947 onwards), but most European models in the late 50s came with Bosch. The headlight adjusters should be at 9 and 12 o'clock and the lens should have a VW logo at the top and BOSCH in 'Gothic' Script near the bottom. I have several spare sets.

47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.