nataliem81
18 years ago
Do I have a 1959 or 1960 VW Beetle? The title says 1960 but the tag under the front hood says 1959. It has semaphores, but I can't find any history on the car, except for this web site. I would like to know about advanced searches if anyone can tell me. Want to sell the car but would like to know about it first. Thanks Natalie 😃 :?:
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
six-o-one
18 years ago
Hi Natalie,
A beetle built after August 1959 (1960 Model) would have door handles with square push buttons. A '59 would have the 'ice pick' style door handles, the same as on oval window beetles.

That's about the easiest way to tell. If you can post the chassis number I should be able to give you some more info.

six-o-one

😃
nataliem81
18 years ago
six-o-one, Thanks, where do I find the chassis number? Its all in german and I cant understand anything. I have a picture of the silver plate inside the trunk and it says things that I cant comprehend. would the chassis number be there or on the chassis? I would really appreciate anything you could tell me. Thanks again, Natalie 😃 😃 😃 P.S. it has the square push button on the door handle. 😎
six-o-one
18 years ago
Right, the chassis number is stamped on the top of the transmission tunnel, under the back seat.

Should be something like: 3 204 566

Chassis numbers 
nataliem81
18 years ago
six-o-one, The chassis number is 2 607 876. This is also the VIN. How could this one number be both VIN and chassis? And how could this model have working semaphores and in USA? My Dad told me that semaphores weren't allowed in this country. My Dad also gave me this book called "How to Keep You Volkswagen Alive, A Manual of Step by Step Procedures For The Compleat Idiot". I have some reading to do. Thanks again. Natalie
six-o-one
18 years ago
Hi Natalie, Vehicle Identity Number and chassis numbers are the same thing, just different terminology, sorry for the confusion.

14 Sept 59 = 2 600 823
24 Sept 59 = 2 616 071

Your car seems to have been built in September 1959 which would make it a 1960 model as the model years changed in August each year.

Could be a European import if it has semaphores fitted.

six-o-one

heb623
18 years ago
Hello nataliem81,

May I ask you were you are located?

:twisted: ET
I ’ll never regret the things I did wrong!
I only regret the good things I did for the wrong people!
nataliem81
18 years ago
ET,
Parsons, Kansas. Why do you ask :?: 😃
nataliem81
18 years ago
six-o-one, Thankyou for all the helpful info. Natalie 😃
nataliem81
18 years ago
Thanks six-o-one, my sweet little baby is posted on eBay for sale starting tomarrow morning. 😞 😞
heb623
18 years ago
Hello nataliem81,

So I know where I have to sent my Hebmuller :shock: to
in case I like to surprise you! (Just kidding! :lol: )

nataliem81
18 years ago
Wouldn't mind checking out a hebmuller. Weren't just a few of those made :?:
heb623
18 years ago
Hello N,

Yes only a few where made but ofcourse more then two! Some people say 696 Hebmullers were build and other sources say 750! Thank God for that!!! :oops:

I don't care how many were made, the most important of all is that I have one! :roll:

Mine isn't completely ready yet but the end of the works are coming in sight!!!

You can take a look :shock: at:
https://www.aircooledbeetleparadise.be/resto.htm 

(if possible and if you like to answer put it on the coachbuild forum!!!) 😎
nataliem81
18 years ago
I'll be sure to check it out. I hope it turns out the way you want it to. Good Luck, Natlalie