zelensis
18 years ago
I did some testing this weekend, and there is a possibility to use a 6V gauge on 12V car.

When you put a 90 Ohm resistance in serie with the gauge the tension over the gauge will vary form 5V to 7V depending on the level of the sending unit.

I hope this helps you to use the gauge in your car.
joshhayes
18 years ago
thanks everyone, i'll give you an update when i get something sorted out 🙂
18 years ago
Good topic as I am looking for a fuel gauge for my '66 bug. Funny thing is, the needle on the gauge broke (somehow). The gauge still works, I just need to look VERY closely to find the break point and visually draw a line to the increments on the face. No big deal, but better to be able to glance and get a reading.

I am looking for a gauge that has "tank" as that is what came with the car. Any assist would be greatly appreciated.

Jim
mrsherbie
18 years ago
My '63 Australian CKD, NZ assembled, now in UK 😃 has one of these fuel gauges, its definitely original to the car, as nothing has ever been changed, removed or messed with, car just badly repainted once late '70's without removing any parts first :?!
Works perfectly, needle flicks to correct fuel level in tank instantly on the turn of the key.
I am told they were only an accessory here, but I think they were standard OZ at that time.
Try posting the question on an Australian or NZ forum, where they are more common. One of these guys will definitely know, they are a nice bunch :wink:
https://www.nzveedubnuts.com 
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
18 years ago
Thanks for the information, will do.! 😃