Bert53
  • Bert53
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
18 years ago
Hi folks,
Was wondering if anyone can check that I’m on the right lines with this problem. I’m having trouble starting my car, a 53 oval running on 6V with the 30HP engine. The starter motor seems to turn over very slowly at first then gradually picks up speed after about 20-30 turns, but by then the battery starts going flat. Fuel is getting through, the plugs are sparking and I’ve tried different batteries although both seem to go flat pretty quickly.
My thoughts are that the starter isn’t turning the engine over quick enough to vaporise the fuel correctly, but as this is my first car running 6V I’m not sure how quickly the starter should turn.
A friend suggested that it may be due to wear in the starter support bush in the gearbox but I’d have thought this would have led to the starter not engaging properly or jumping out of mesh with the fly wheel.
Any thought would be very welcome.

Cheers,
John
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
six-o-one
18 years ago
Hi John,
I would first check all the connections in the circuit are perfect, including the earth strap on the gearbox and ignition switch.

You could try removing the starter and see how easy it spins out of the car. As you said, it could be a worn bush causing some drag.

My 25hp engine take quite a while to fire up when it's cold, but the starter turns it over fairly fast. Once warmed up it's a lot better.

Malc
Jules
18 years ago

Hi folks,
Was wondering if anyone can check that I’m on the right lines with this problem. I’m having trouble starting my car, a 53 oval running on 6V with the 30HP engine. The starter motor seems to turn over very slowly at first then gradually picks up speed after about 20-30 turns, but by then the battery starts going flat. Fuel is getting through, the plugs are sparking and I’ve tried different batteries although both seem to go flat pretty quickly.
My thoughts are that the starter isn’t turning the engine over quick enough to vaporise the fuel correctly, but as this is my first car running 6V I’m not sure how quickly the starter should turn.
A friend suggested that it may be due to wear in the starter support bush in the gearbox but I’d have thought this would have led to the starter not engaging properly or jumping out of mesh with the fly wheel.
Any thought would be very welcome.

Cheers,
John

"Bert53" wrote:

It's worth changing the bush, it's about £4.00 and 1/2 hours work, a worn bush can cause all sorts of problems.
Also worth considering is a "Hard Start relay" which will make sure all available power goes to the starter motor, sensible advise for any 6 volt'er, in stock at KK, and you all get discount !
Bert53
  • Bert53
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
18 years ago
Thanks for the advice,
I managed to get hold of another 6V starter at the weekend and swapped them over. The motor I took off was very stiff to turn compared to the one which was going on and lo, the car started quite quickly 😃
The starter is a bit noisy but at least it starts the car now.

Malc, thanks for the tip on cleaning up the gearbox earth strap, I've cleaned most of the connections but never thought of that one.
Jules, never heard of a hard start relay, but it sounds like I'll be getting one!

Cheers,
John