pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
17 years ago
Is this easy to do? What are the steps? Mine's broken off right where it pokes out of the frame head - is it better to replace the whole thing or just put a bit of flexible line on the end?

Thanks. :?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
zelensis61
17 years ago
Tip:
replace the whole metal line with a semi flexible plastic tube that resist the fuel....
I did this to a buggy and it still holds on for at least 15 years.
The line runs in the tunnel from a new drilled hole with gommet , put a wire in the tunnel and feel at the end to pick it up. with that wire you pull the new line in the tunnel...

To replace the metal line you have to cut a whole in the tunne; the new tube is hold tight to the tunnel with metal tabs.... if you cannot attach the tube it will rattle in the tunnel every street bump you take....
and it is not an easy job..
greets

ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
17 years ago
Thanks for the reply. I've heard that you can run a new metal line down the tunnel without making a hole, and then use cable ties to hold it down and stop it rattling. Anyone had any experience?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Kabman
17 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I've heard that you can run a new metal line down the tunnel without making a hole, and then use cable ties to hold it down and stop it rattling. Anyone had any experience?

"pre67vw" wrote:

That's exactly what I did. It was surprisingly easy after all the scare stories I had been told. In fact I would say it was a lot easier than any of the bodges that are suggested like running it under the floorpan or alongside the tunnel. I removed the handbrake and gearlever as well as the front and rear inspection plates to get access. Plenty of wiggling seemed to break the old tabs off. Feed the new pipe in from the rear and out of the front inspection panel, then bend the end up and push it through the hole in the top of the tunnel. I put cable ties anywhere I could reach and have had no problems with it rattling.
simonhanloncole
17 years ago
Just don't run it inside the car its very dangerous, should be in the tunnel or outside only
Simon
Chris
17 years ago
If carrying out this job, what material pipe should be used ? Something that won't rot or get corroded with the constant flow of petrol.

A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
simonhanloncole
17 years ago
copper plumping pipe 10mm will do
Simon
Chris
17 years ago
Cheers Simon, But 10mm sounds a tad large, especially as there's a thread on another topic talking about 6mm. I'd go out into the garage and measure the diameter of the pipe already on it but it's p*ssing down out there !!
Chris
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
oval '55
17 years ago
i used on my 1302 copper line of 6 mm from an air conditioner technician .or you can get it from AC parts shop
i used about 10 meters for gas, and brake lines as well .
engine rear and water to the river