mooney3019
13 years ago
when I imported my car last year I changed the headlight lenses for RHD Bosch Genuine ones, and had a right game with the mot inspector as there appears to be no pattern,(6V 1965 Beetle), mot time is looming and dont want the same hassle again, the bulbs only fit in one way as they have a locating tab, what am I doing wrong?
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
13 years ago
Sounds like you need to change your MOT inspector...

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
mooney3019
13 years ago
tell me about it !!:lol:
69project
13 years ago
this may be totally wrong to the situation you are having but ive had a similar issue recently with my headlights

there is a slight difference between hella and bosch bulb holders and they are not interchangeable so wont fit and attach in lense correctly

hella type uses a spring to bottom of lense and bosch has a backing spring clip(think it was this way round!)

using either incorrectly and the sidelight bulb doesnt fit in hole

i have a pair of bosch if thats what you need

Car less.....
Standard split
13 years ago
This is interesting. Last year my 1972 Beetle (yes okay it's modern) was failed by the MOT inspector on a poor rear nearside brake and for having 'no headlight pattern' :?

I went over all the brakes attending to each wheel cylinder and got the brakes spot-on. However, I checked my lights in the evening on a wall and couldn't find anything wrong AT ALL! :shock:

Straight to a different MOT station and passed with flying colours:wink:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
cupa65
13 years ago
I took my Swedish 65 for an MOT and guess what? It failed on beam pattern! I spoke with Barclay at Status where I had purchased the RHD Bosch lenses. He pointed out that there is an arrow on the lenses dictating which side of the road they are for. I took the old LHD lenses down to the test centre for them to compare. After much debate they passed the car.
I did also however explain about the front wheel bearings which have been known to cause failures and they were happy with the small amount of play. Seems the infrequency that some test stations see older cars is the real issue.
64rotbox
13 years ago
I'm sure the bulb notches in RHD/LHD reflectors are in slightly different places. If the bulb's in the wrong position as a result, it'll throw the pattern out no matter what sort of lens you have. Can you take a photo of the back of the light unit, with the bulb in?
You can call me Al.
mooney3019
13 years ago
must be something about ruby red 65's eh ! as it happens to your advise and changed mot stations and passed, to be honest he hardley looked at the car !

cupa65
13 years ago
I did ask the question if there is a different LHD and RHD headlamp unit. I understand there isn't but will take a picture. It wasn't the actual baem but the "Kickup" as the tester put it.
Robb
13 years ago
you mean he checks your headlights? :shock: :d

i always use The Garage at Pillerton Priors, Warks for my mot'ing 😉