62 deluxe
16 years ago
Hi

My auzzie 63 shell arrived in the uk with what i think is a 61 only wiper switch (you pull it to squeeze the rubber bellows behind the switch to operate the water washer). I have decided to replace it with my old 63 switch (regular pressurized push version) as I think it will be safer to operate when driving. Question is is the switch rare and what is the switch worth? I also have the washer bottle and a couple of spare switches.

Any help much apreciated.

Thanks

jon
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
mrsherbie
16 years ago
They are a funny thing and crop up on various odd cars, the flaw with them is that the rubber bellows perish.
My 63 New Zealand assembled Australian pressed beetle has one, on its first uk MOT after I brought it back this was its only MOT failure item!
I sourced a NOS one ( just the switch to bellows, not down to the washer bottle) from Wolfsburg West, cost me about £30 inc shipping in 2001) Then I bought another very good used one for £30 from KK as a spare also about 2001/2002.
Before you replace your whole washer set up, bear in mind that your water bottle probably has VDO Australia moulded into the front, and is a nice original feature of your car being Australian.

Its all too easy to lose these great unique features.

Another note, dont replace the headlining! If it is the crepe type, it is identical to the Antarctica bug and a really nice rare now original feature, replacing it with pinpoint vinyl is always a big error!

This book you can buy from vwbooks is a good reference and tells you more about OZ cars than any other :

https://www.vwbook.co.nz/ 

www.vwbooks.co.uk 

Also 'Volkswagens of the world' by Simon Glen has some good info on OZ cars, also from vw books

😃
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
62 deluxe
16 years ago
Hi

thanks for the advice. I have both the australian and german bottle to switch assemblies - I just had the vision of me pumping this thing, while streering, in the rain, and thought it may be a bit dodgy!!! If it is workable (as opposed to the pressurized german system) I will keep it, but practicality always wins with me (no point in having the correct switch if you have just driven off the road and trashed your bug coz you were busy trying to clear the screen!!!!).

My shell was just that, all that remained after the previous owner took the car apart and then sold everything else. It had sat outside for quite some time without one door and both engine and decklid and when it arrived over here, both front quarters were full down to the bottom of the A pillar with dried vegitation/soil/?. The nice unique headliner had rotted and had been eaten in places. The rear carpeted area had also rotted/ been eaten/covered in poo pellets. It also had some front nearside and rear off side quarter damage, however it was very solid, unlike the german shell it was replacing. Some purists may think putting an Oz shell on a german floorpan is wrong, but I am keeping a vw on the road and saving a shell from the rodents!!! (my old shell has gone on to replace a roof damaged bug) So what do you think - German washer or Australian?

Cheers

jon
mrsherbie
16 years ago
I would just go with the German one then, the plunger/bellows type doesnt really work, even when it 'does work' if you know what I mean!

Personally I have rain-ex'd my screen a few years ago, and though always kept MOT'd the car's not actually been out in the rain since then :oops: :lol:
I dont know anyone who uses their washers on a beetle, but then I dont know anyone who drives one daily anymore :oops: :shock: 😃 How times have changed?!
My '50 does'nt have washers fitted. But thats down to the individual MOT tester.

My biggest problem is stopping the rubber bellows perishing as it only get used each year on MOT day, I have lovingly rubbed KY into it :wink: :lol:
62 deluxe
16 years ago
hi

German it is then! the rest will be taken to Slough and offered for sale! My bug hasn't seen the road for 4 years , but the rebuild is nearly complete. I don't intend to drive it daily, but judging by the weather we have had this summer, rain x, wipers and washers will be a necessity!!!!!! 😞
Kabman
16 years ago
My Canadian '64 has this type of washer switch. It doesn't work either and hasn't for at least 20 years because it was replaced with a seperate push button by the previous owner. It's like squirting a water pistol at the screen.

but then I dont know anyone who drives one daily anymore :oops: :shock: 😃 How times have changed?!

"mrsherbie" wrote:

I do. And the washers work on this one :lol:  12819.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
mrsherbie
16 years ago

I do. And the washers work on this one :lol:

"Kabman" wrote:

I know you do and I am VERY jealous! I love that beetle of yours!
I would like to get a pic of it parked with my crazy green car sometime next year!

I am seriously wanting to daily drive a 68-70ish beetle again soon when I dont have to drive on motorways every day! Cant wait!
( Although I will still drive a normal car if I have to go more than a few miles away or it gets 'really chilly' or there is salt or snow! I dont like the cold! :oops: :lol: )

Doh! then I suppose it becomes another toy though! :?
mrsherbie
16 years ago
That is a great pic! You look a bit like Hammond in his Kadett in Africa on top gear tonight! :lol:
I still cant believe Clarkson actually said "buy a beetle" on TopGear! :lol:
Kabman
16 years ago

when I dont have to drive on motorways every day!

"mrsherbie" wrote:

Believe it or not I drive it on the motorway everyday too. Only for about 5 miles of the 18 mile drive to work. Here're a couple of other pics of it.  12867.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Kabman
16 years ago
Stuck!  12868.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.