BavarianRescue
14 years ago
The PO of my '61 US spec Beetle apparently had an issue with the original wiper switch, so he(I assume) wired in some funky switch so he could control the wipers 'parking' I removed the switch and set the wiring back to stock and then discovered the problem. The wipers continue to run even after switching them off with the stock switch. I have an SWF unit, 6v(will be converted to 12v) and have removed the entire assembly from the car. Any guidance from someone that has been through this before will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all
dws
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
14 years ago

The PO of my '61 US spec Beetle apparently had an issue with the original wiper switch, so he(I assume) wired in some funky switch so he could control the wipers 'parking' I removed the switch and set the wiring back to stock and then discovered the problem. The wipers continue to run even after switching them off with the stock switch. I have an SWF unit, 6v(will be converted to 12v) and have removed the entire assembly from the car. Any guidance from someone that has been through this before will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all
dws

BavarianRescue wrote:

Yep, the '61 wiper switch is unique. It has a big, black bellows on the back of it and is easily identified by this.
UserPostedImage
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
BavarianRescue
14 years ago
Yep, that's the little jewell. There must be a reasonable fix that deals with the 'one year only' factor??
dws
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
If the wipers won't stop when the switch is turned off, check terminal 31 on the wiper motor. There should be a wire from this terminal to Earth. If there is already, clean the connections at either end. If this fails to solve the wiper 'parking' problem, have you got the arms and blades fitted? If not, fit them. With no resistance (ie the blades dragging across the screen), the auto-park mechanism can be over-ridden. If that doesn't solve it, make sure the wiper spindles are not worn, this can also stop the auto-park from working.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
BavarianRescue
14 years ago
Excellent info, thank you a whole bunch of alot. Took the opportunity to wire up some fog lights while the wiper mechanism is out as I need to drill a hole for a new VW switch just above it. You'all are wonderful.
dws
dubrockers
14 years ago

I need to drill a hole for a new VW switch just above it.

BavarianRescue wrote:

Drill the dash 😳 😳 😳
BavarianRescue
14 years ago
Well, I used a VW accessory switch with a matghing Ivory knob to my others.
It looks stock, except for the 'dimple' that the factory tooling puts in.
It is centered between the wiper and headlight switches. The PO installed an alarm in my Bug, so there is already a Red LED for that. At least he put it where a cigarette lighter would go. And....shame on me some more, tomorrow I'm going to drill another small hole for a Purple LED(wife's car, she picked) that will come on with the fogs as a reminder to turn them off. Sorry, no pics.
dws