vwhelmot
14 years ago
The trouble is that it rides and handles so well!
GKL 7
14 years ago

The trouble is that it rides and handles so well!

vwhelmot wrote:

Have you decided to keep the car now?
Bring it back to stock,i suspect you'd like to or why ask the question.
vwhelmot
14 years ago
you could say that?!
Hawker
14 years ago
Well if California state improvements include: Baja, Cal-look etc. then god help us!

The USA is still producing brand new vehicles with live rear axles like the old Moggie Minor.. That's why there Motor Industry is on its knees and the top selling vehicle in the US over the last 5 years has been from Japan.

Beetles are good cars to drive considering their age and better kept standard. However, the "Standard" didn't have a steering damper. Interesting after running over a pot-hole.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

The USA is still producing brand new vehicles with live rear axles like the old Moggie Minor.. That's why there Motor Industry is on its knees and the top selling vehicle in the US over the last 5 years has been from Japan.

Hawker wrote:

There´s nothing wrong with live rear axles. Lotus sevens seem to do alright with them.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
mpherbie
14 years ago
yes definitely raise this great car back to original height as vw intented great dub:d
Buggirl
14 years ago
I remember seeing the artical on this car in Volks World and I thought she had been in a bump after the shoot, so real glad to see her back on the road!!! I think that it looks cool as it is, but I have to say I agree that if they were better lowered, surely VW would have done it! Kind if makes sense to have them back as they left the factory!:wink: Ultimately, you have got to make the decision.:shock:
1966 Barbra Anne
bish
14 years ago
Have you reached that position with your car where its just as you want it but still feel the need to tinker?

Leave well alone i say as it looks just right to me!

Maybe buy a nice accessory to fit and you will banish those tinkering thoughts for a while! :d
Moto Linetti
14 years ago
If your not sure,always sell it too me!!!!!!
auntieaubrey
14 years ago
saw your car at tatton and it looks perfect as is

heres a picture i took too
UserPostedImage

i say raise it.
vwhelmot
14 years ago
Thanks for your replies, to be honest im still thinking about raising it and adding a new set of crossplies and a repro abarth exhaust. It was involved in a smash (not my fault, got hit from behind), this is how it looked
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
pre67vw
14 years ago
Ouch! 😞
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
54 Gertie
13 years ago
Just found this thread again in a (completely unrelated) search, any news on the damage? :thumbup:
William
vwhelmot
13 years ago
Rebuilt and been back on the road for years. MOT time , so need to check the rear brakes as there is a hub seal oil leak issue! Its been in hibernation for winter.
spillo491
13 years ago
How much is narrowed front axle ?
GKL 7
13 years ago
Only €5000.