55Kab
14 years ago
So found my pics of XXL 34. Taken at Action in 1988, she looked pretty good. In the original scan I could see number of patches attached to the headliner just below the rear window.

You can just make them out in the photo below. As a member of the caravan club this car must have got about. Surely it must still be with us in some guise?

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

55Kab
14 years ago
And here's one UK RHD Panel that 20 years ago was in the process of going to meet its maker...:(

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

55Kab
14 years ago
Anyone remember this one from Action 1990 or 91? I don't recall its registration or how much he wanted for it but clearly it needed a lot of work!

UserPostedImage

JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

And here's one UK RHD Panel that 20 years ago was in the process of going to meet its maker...:(

55Kab wrote:

Was that that scrapyard out towards Alton? That place was awesome!
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
55Kab
14 years ago

Was that that scrapyard out towards Alton? That place was awesome!

JD wrote:

Blimey James were you stalking me? :lol:

Indeed it was, just south of Four Marks. It was one of those "old" style yards that kept vehicles forever. I took some nice parts off of early VW's in there. During my visits I remember a 56, 58, 63, 65 Bug's and a handful of split screen vans. I recall an early Fastback too...D reg?

I had a quick look on Google Earth for the place and found it although by the looks of it most of the yard has been cleared. When did you visit, and how did you find it?

JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

Blimey James were you stalking me? :lol:

Indeed it was, just south of Four Marks. It was one of those "old" style yards that kept vehicles forever. I took some nice parts off of early VW's in there. During my visits I remember a 56, 58, 63, 65 Bug's and a handful of split screen vans. I recall an early Fastback too...D reg?

I had a quick look on Google Earth for the place and found it although by the looks of it most of the yard has been cleared. When did you visit, and how did you find it?

55Kab wrote:

Four Marks - that was it.
I don´t remember who told me about it. I went there when I was in college. My pal found a radio blanking plate on a split bus that he needed and I bagged a 30hp fanshroud (they were all the go in them days!). I remember climbing inside an FB Victor through the missing windscreen (it was buried) and getting as far as the back seat before realising that there was a wasps nest in the car as it quickly filled with peed off wasps! You never saw me move so fast!! Remember the sixties Thunderbird? I was back there years later and it had almost all been cleared. Tragic!
UserPostedImage
55Kab
14 years ago

Four Marks - that was it. I don´t remember who told me about it. I went there when I was in college. My pal found a radio blanking plate on a split bus that he needed and I bagged a 30hp fanshroud (they were all the go in them days!). I remember climbing inside an FB Victor through the missing windscreen (it was buried) and getting as far as the back seat before realising that there was a wasps nest in the car as it quickly filled with peed off wasps! You never saw me move so fast!! Remember the sixties Thunderbird? I was back there years later and it had almost all been cleared. Tragic!

JD wrote:

Oh yeah, the Thunderbird, I do remember.

I don't know what it was but on my visits there was always something not quite right about the place. I never met anyone else and there was always an eerie silence to it. In fact thinking about it, it was as if the cars were alive and talking to one another, whispering stop him, stop him! :lol:

It almost felt wrong talking parts off the cars and I always had the feeling someone was watching you or that some kind of weirdo was about to step out in front of you Texas chainsaw massacre style!!! :lol: :lol:

I took some more photos of the VW's there, I'll dig them out.
55Kab
14 years ago
So they don't get lost on the other thread, I'm reposting these pics here. One very dead pre Aug-55 taken Southampton November 1985:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Rich Oakley
14 years ago
Late 1990's- Turkis Blue RHD '61 in High Wycombe. Reg number UKE99B
UserPostedImage

Mid 1990's- Nutria Brown '64 1500S, involved in an accident in the late 60s and not on the road since then. Don't have the reg no.
UserPostedImage

1997- Horizon Blue RHD '56 Oval found in a barn near Newton Abbot. Reg number TOX555
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

I found this one in Buxton in 1996 and restored it. Haven't seen it since!
UserPostedImage

Found in Bala, 1999. RHD steel sunroof 64...
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

'60 RHD reg number OSK722 seen on a used car forecort in Thirsk, 2000...
UserPostedImage

RHD '58 Devon spotted in Woolacombe, 1997...
UserPostedImage

RHD '56 in Stratford upon Avon, 1998.
UserPostedImage

47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
GKL 7
14 years ago
Do you ever stand still Rich,you certainly get youself about.
ianmac
14 years ago

1997- Horizon Blue RHD '56 Oval found in a barn near Newton Abbot. Reg number TOX555
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Rich Oakley wrote:

That car was pulled out of the barn by my brother and I probably in around 1997-98 ish for his then girlfriend, it was surprisingly solid, given a body off resto and exhibited at the volksworld show. He split up with her and I haven't seen it (or her!) since- I think she still has it- a very nice car ! The number plate TOX 555 was kept by the original owner and is still on his Audi!:wink:
Rich Oakley
14 years ago

That car was pulled out of the barn by my brother and I probably in around 1997-98 ish for his then girlfriend, it was surprisingly solid, given a body off resto and exhibited at the volksworld show. He split up with her and I haven't seen it (or her!) since- I think she still has it- a very nice car ! The number plate TOX 555 was kept by the original owner and is still on his Audi!:wink:

ianmac wrote:

That's great to know it was rescued and restored. A friend of mine used to live in Newton Abbott at the time and the car was advertised in the local paper. He phoned me to tell me about it, so I drove down from the West Midlands the very same day to view it. I seem to recall that it was in really good condition, but the owner just wanted too much money for it. Can't remember how much he wanted, but he just wouldn't budge on the price so I had to walk away.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
55Kab
14 years ago

Late 1990's- Turkis Blue RHD '61 in High Wycombe. Reg number UKE99B
UserPostedImage

Rich Oakley wrote:

Blimey what happened to that Rich? I papped it at Detling in 87 and it didn't look too bad...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

55Kab
14 years ago

UserPostedImage

Rich Oakley wrote:

What was the reg of this one? Anymore pics?

55Kab
14 years ago
One of my best finds was this 57 Oval. Originally Horizon Blue I sold it after a clean up to Peter Roberts of Funkenblitz.

UserPostedImage

Don't know what happened to the car but strangely whilst surfing regtransfers last year soon after buying the cabrio I found the number VGY 77 for sale. I bought it and have it on retention.

However besides a UK RHD 60 cabrio my best find was this place:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Notice the bus in the background (and my low milage unmodified! Campaign Mk.1 GTI :wink: ) Well I didn't appreciate it at the time as Beetle's were my thing but that bus was a seriously old UK RHD machine:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

However the real star was in the barn you can see behind the 63 sunroof:

UserPostedImage

TLY 47, a 51 standard.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

At the time the car was not for sale and I left the air-cooled VW scene and forgot about it. If however you'd like to know if it's still there, you'll have to ask Professor Oakley! :wink:

Robb
14 years ago

UserPostedImage

Rich Oakley wrote:

you know where abouts in Stratford Rich? thats my hometown 😎
54 Gertie
14 years ago
Sadly, I think the days of walking into a scrapyard and falling over ovals and split buses is a thing of the past! :cry:

William
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
Pete had VGY 77 stored for years, but sold it a long time ago, when he figured he wouldn´t really have time to do it.
He may know where it is still.
UserPostedImage
Rich Oakley
14 years ago

Blimey what happened to that Rich? I papped it at Detling in 87 and it didn't look too bad...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

55Kab wrote:

I actually spotted it last year on the back of a trailer on the M25 heading Eastbound at J9! It looked pretty much the same as when I took the pics, ten years previous.
Rich Oakley
14 years ago

What was the reg of this one? Anymore pics?

55Kab wrote:

I do have a couple more pictures but the car didn't have a reg number on it. The owner had the V5 though, but I never made a note of the reg :roll: