Kev
  • Kev
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
11 years ago
My cabrio was delivered via MAHAG in Munich, I don't even know if it had a badge originally but I'd been keeping an eye out for one for a few years, so when I saw this on thesamba recently I bought it...

UserPostedImage

This is the badge on Nicolas' standard.

UserPostedImage

Anyone know much about them ?

Cheers
Kev
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
GKL 7
11 years ago
Don't know anything about them Kev,but do you want the use of a drill :omg:
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
Saw these some were but carnt remember were :omg: The hunt gose on

Andy W  4089945.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  4089956.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
heb623
11 years ago

GKL 7 wrote:

George, here you need a drill for?:o

:twisted: ET
I ’ll never regret the things I did wrong!
I only regret the good things I did for the wrong people!
Kev
  • Kev
11 years ago

GKL 7 wrote:

:d Thanks for the offer George but I think its a bit late for that :roll:

Saw these some were but carnt remember were :omg: The hunt gose on

Andy W

AW wrote:

Thanks Andy, I like the one on the right 😎
Rich Oakley
11 years ago
I am not sure about the history of the bages Kev. I think MAHAG was founded in 1948 so they were a fairly early VW dealer/distributor, although a few places had been appointed as dealers before them from July 1946 onwards.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Blauchen L331
11 years ago

My cabrio was delivered via MAHAG in Munich, I don't even know if it had a badge originally but I'd been keeping an eye out for one for a few years, so when I saw this on thesamba recently I bought it...

UserPostedImage

This is the badge on Nicolas' standard.

UserPostedImage

Anyone know much about them ?

Cheers
Kev

Kev wrote:

Hello Kev,

MAHAG = Münchner Automobil-Handel Haberl GmbH & Co. KG
(or The Munich Automotive Dealer of Haberl and Company)

Katharina & Kasper Haberl founded MAHAG in Munich as early as 1934, but the Volkswagen part of the dealer didn't start till 1948, when they sold the first postwar production models available to civilian customers and also modified German spec cars for US Import, sold to American Service men and women stationed in Germany.

In the 1950's and 60's they were the largest VW distributor in Southern Germany, supplying many rural Bavarian dealers with Beetles and Buses, the dealer was a real "money maker" for Wolfsburg and they had their first pick of any of the new model years cars before anyone else.

My personal car came from their dealer, as a "grey market" European 1957 Oval Window in L 331 Horizon Blue car bought directly off the new "For Sale" lot by a US Navy Research Scientist and with modified parts at the dealer made to pass the DOT/US Import inspection, in 1958 the car was shipped to North Carolina USA, where the car was driven by the original owners Mother, it was very pampered, never altered or molested and has currently only 27,500 Original (documented) miles.

Getting to the badges you show here:

The first one is the *early style* badge, used from about 1948 to 1954 (about 6 years or so) and is mostly seen on Split Window cars and very Early Ovals.

Most German VW Dealers of the time mounted their Dealer Sale Tags JUST ONE (1) on the passenger side, above the end of the back of the front fender, centered about 8 to 10 inches (I'm just guessing the measurement, I never checked mine yet) above the front of the running board.

But, I guess MAHAG really wanted to use the advertising space and put TWO (2) Dealer Sales Tags on PER CAR, so any VW Beetle that comes from MAHAG should have the Dealer Sale Tags attached on EACH SIDE of the car.

The second badge you have was used from about 1955 to 1967 on all cars sold from MAHAG. (this is also the same badge that's on my 1957 car), they were all secured with 3 screws and were in this triangular shape.

I'm not sure what the Dealer did after 1967, I think the badges changed to just long lozenge shaped ones with just MAHAG written on them.

I hope that this was a little bit of help for you?

MAHAG is still in operation and is one of the largest Volkswagen/Audi and Porsche Dealerships in all of Southern Germany.

Enjoy!

Tom
OG Paint L331 1957 Type 1 Euro/Export Oval Window/via MAHAG Munich
27,500 Original Miles/Garage Find/Unrestored Survivior Car
Kev
  • Kev
11 years ago
Many thanks Tom thats great info, also good to know the badge I have is from the right era for my car although the bad news is I only have one of them !

Just seen another MAHAG item on the samba ...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=915591 

Kev
  • Kev
11 years ago

I am not sure about the history of the bages Kev. I think MAHAG was founded in 1948 so they were a fairly early VW dealer/distributor, although a few places had been appointed as dealers before them from July 1946 onwards.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Rich,

I missed your reply previously, my 47 came through Schultz in Essen, I believe they were the first official dealership ???

I think Schultz introduced the Hebmuller family to Volkswagen, I'm sure someone can confirm that :smile:

Cheers
Kev
Blauchen L331
11 years ago

Rich,

I missed your reply previously, my 47 came through Schultz in Essen, I believe they were the first official dealership ???

I think Schultz introduced the Hebmuller family to Volkswagen, I'm sure someone can confirm that :smile:

Cheers
Kev

Kev wrote:

Interesting here's some information, directly from the Gottfried Schultz VW website (history) Translated from original German.......

"A historical date - not only for Gottfried Schultz - was in July 1946, the delivery of the very first Volkswagen Beetle to a private -. Nonmilitary - customers by Gottfried Schultz in Essen.

In 1949, Gottfried Schultz opened his first branch office in Dusseldorf, which followed in 1952 with additional sales offices in Opladen Moers and then in 1958 a branch office in Mettmann."

Gottfried Schultz is still in business and I would figure the largest Volkswagen dealership in the North Rhine-Westphalia (Ruhr) area.

This is FUN all this researching German Dealers, sorry I can't give an insight to the Hebmuller story, but it sounds like it's just from the right time period, perhaps Bob Shaill could shed some light on the subject?

Tom
Blauchen L331
11 years ago

Many thanks Tom thats great info, also good to know the badge I have is from the right era for my car although the bad news is I only have one of them !

Just seen another MAHAG item on the samba ...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=915591 

Kev wrote:

Yes, too bad it's 1953, I'm looking for anything MAHAG but 1957 dated to match my real car :)

Thanks,

Tom
Rich Oakley
11 years ago

Rich,

Cheers
Kev

Kev wrote:

Yes, as stated above, Schultz received their first 4 cars on 17th July 1946 followed by another 4 on 23rd July. Raffay in Hamburg received 1 car on 22nd July 1946.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.