EXPRESS
16 years ago
Hello.
I am finely in the process of rebulding completly a 30 HP engine to use with an EXPRESS dual carb kit that has been siting too long for now on my garage shelf.
I was first planing to rebuilt that engine stock original (except for the dual carb of course) but the more i read this forum, the more i thought why not take adventage of the rebuilt process to use some more powerfull internal part for the engine block.
Specialy the "okrasa like" cw crankshaft in 69mm and the performance camshaft offered by BBT. and also a lighted flywheel.
I will use the 77mm stock cylinder and piston and also the stock head (Express manifold are single port and use modified 28 PCI carb)
BUT, question are :
with the 69mm crankshaft, since, i'm using the stock heads... and not Okrasa heads... will i need barrel shims to change the piston deck height ? Has any of U already experience that ?
The 36HP connecting rod are sayed not to be very strong... do you have any solution or do you use special rod ?
Is there also any extra choice regarding the Pushrod ?
and the last... any supplier for the OT style crank pulley ?
thanks for your advices and idea.
Alex Arash D.

Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
16 years ago
Hello-

Does BBT really make an 'Okrasa' crankshaft? I looked at their web site and all I cound find was a camshaft.

To fit a longer than stock crankshaft/rods in your case you'll either have to shim the cylinders, install 'stroker' pistons, or both. I've been investigating the possiblity of installing a Porsche crank/rods in a 36hp case. It's technically possible, but expensive. At this point I don't feel confident giving out any more advise - I'm still learning myself.

You might want to visit TheSamba. There are a number of people who have done this.

Paul
Paul Vickerman

Go Bruins!
reminou75
16 years ago
to do a reliable prep', you have to do like on the "French Okrasa" (see other subject": that means to install a Porsche Pre-A crankshaft in an early block, then to find some Porsche 356 C/912 connecting rods, with some Pre-A cylinders.
All these parts are hard to find, but it works pretty good... :lol:

then, to put an Express kit on it is an easy thing. except if you choose the "Okrasa heads" solution... :?
16 years ago
Hello-

Your homework for this evening is to read "Souping Your Volkswagen". There will be a test.

Souping Your Volkswagen 

Paul
Paul Vickerman

Go Bruins!
pre67vw
16 years ago

Hello-

Your homework for this evening is to read "Souping Your Volkswagen". There will be a test.

Souping Your Volkswagen 

Paul

"gimmesomeshelter" wrote:

Cool! 😎
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
reminou75
16 years ago
hehe...

the holy bible... :lol: