ChillieWitch
19 years ago
Hi all!
Wonder if anyone can help... :?:
My 1960 bug is listing to one side (rear drivers side) and i believe this could be a broken torsion bar....now i've had a look by scooting under the rear end, but can't see anything amiss. I have to determine exactly what the proplem is so as to order the right parts, and have got axle stands and a trolley jack. Now for your help....which is the best and safest way to lift her rear ?
And has anyone else had this problem? Was it relatively easy to fix? Bearing in mind I do have the help of my 6'1 bloke, who's quite handy with a spanner! (he's not gonna like that!) :lol:
ChillieWitch

Life without a beetle is like a broken pencil.......
Pointless!
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
six-o-one
19 years ago
Hi ChillieWitch,
As there is one, solid torsion bar on each side at the rear, they wouldn't break but they do wear and sag after 43 years (especially if the driver was a bit big!)

You could replace them but, as they are adjustable with splines at each end, you could re-align the drivers side one to match the other.

I usualy jack a bug up under the gearbox cradle and suport the rear torsion bar tube on stands.

Also, the tilt could be caused by a weak or broken mount where the rear shock mount on the pan bolts to the inner wing. If this fails the body will drop down slightly on that side.

Hope this helps a bit?

six-o-one
😃
ChillieWitch
19 years ago
Thanks, that helped a lot! 😃
ChillieWitch

Life without a beetle is like a broken pencil.......
Pointless!