daveangel
15 years ago
Hi everyone. I have just got hold of a 1961 Beetle in the UK and am concerned about a few of the original features.

- Can someone show me a photo of the correct rear lights for a '61?

- Does the bonnet have a raised area where the badge goes?

- The speedo is DEFINATELY not correct (from a 1970's car I believe), but can someone show me a photo of the correct '61 speedo? To replace one are there other years that are the same?

- The front wings do not have any indicators on the top, but built into the lights instead. Is this correct?

- In terms of wing mirror, what is correct for this year?

This is just a taster... I am sure there will be many more to come!

Thanks in advance
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
48REME
15 years ago
If your car is an early 61 (ie before May, I think), it will have peanut indicators on the front wings and flashing all-red 55-61 oval taillights at the back. If your car is a late 61, it will already have the slightly larger red and orange flashing rear indicators, which throughout the sixties.
Let us know your car's date... 😃
daveangel
15 years ago

"48REME" wrote:

Thanks for this. The car was manufactured in Dec 1960 and registered in Feb 61. Looks as though I have:

- Wrong rear lights (I have the larger ones with the indicator at the top)
- Wrong decklid (I have the semi W but the one from 63-64 onwards designed for the larger light)
- Wrong speedo (I have one from a '68ish or above I think)!
- Wrong bonnet (still TBD as it has the raised area for the badge which I think may be incorrect).

Thanks
48REME
15 years ago
You seem to know what you need. Basically, your car should look like this one does from the back (even though this is a 59-60 model with semaphores). Having put front indicators on like many did over the years, actually makes it virtually identical to a 60-61 model like yours. 😃  15864.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
six-o-one
15 years ago

"daveangel" wrote:

Thanks for this. The car was manufactured in Dec 1960 and registered in Feb 61. Looks as though I have:

- Wrong bonnet (still TBD as it has the raised area for the badge which I think may be incorrect).

Thanks

"48REME" wrote:

From memory, I'm pretty sure the '60 model was the last without the raised bit for the badge.

Rich Oakley
15 years ago
The correct bonnet you need is 61-62 only (used between Aug 60 and Jul 62). It does not have the raised area, but does not use the 4-tab VW badge like earlier Beetles. The badge is unique as well as it looks like the thin 4-tab early badge, but has three prongs on the rear like the later badges. Hope this helps.

If you fit the correct 56-61 rear lights, you will also need a 61-only '6-wire' indicator stalk. This enables the brake light element to flash when signalling.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.