adi #2
  • adi #2
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago
I was just wandering, alot of people put indicator bulb holders inside their sloping lights, and ditch the top wing mounted indicators. I even had that on my old beetle, done by a previous owner, which was a 100% bastardized 73 which had a series of owners who loved to weld but didnt like to buy panels, so by the time i got it, it was pretty much a big mess put together of many parts from many vehicles and sheetmetal (but i still loved it...awww etc). I got rid of it and bought this 66.

But anyway, does anyone know where this practice of putting indicators into lights comes from? Alot of people call it 'us spec', but i thought US spec had indicators on the wings, but they contained two lamps, forward-looking turn signals and side-looking white position indicators/sidelights?

So does having orange turn signal bulbs inside your 60's headlight have any factual basis? or is it just something that some bored person did once and it stuck?
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
Not sure, but I´m going to do it to my car, to get rid of my non original wingtop indicators.

Come to think of it, aren´t they US spec side lights, since they had sealed beams in the slopey lights?
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Jules
15 years ago

Come to think of it, aren´t they US spec side lights, since they had sealed beams in the slopey lights?

JD wrote:

Thats exactly it!
VW Stan
15 years ago
It's an old cal-look trick to use US spec lights on the front and replace the side light with an orange indicator bulb.
The US lights have clear lenses so you need to either fit a sealed beam light or a mini style unit which incorporates a side light.  us_light.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
Boris1966
15 years ago
As far as i am aware these style headlamps are PORSCHE....??