harveypj
  • harveypj
  • Stock "Wolfie" Smith Topic Starter
16 years ago
:?: Hello all, my 58 bug has additional indicators fitted to accompany the original semaphores. They have been fitted on the wings under ther head lights and tail lights. All work fine but I think smaller more descrete lights would be better. Can anyone reccomend a particular type/model or supplier.
I plan to mount them on smqll brackets from the bumper irons
Stock......the new custom
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Kabman
16 years ago
For rear indicators I've used Hella reversing lights with orange bulbs fitted. For front indicators people generally use small motorcycle lights fitted to brackets on the bumper irons as you suggest. Behind the horn grills is another option. There are plenty of very small LED motorcycle indicators available nowadays that look white until they are switched on. Much more discreet than the old big orange lamps.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
16 years ago
Mine are old SWR reversing lights on some homemade brackets. Clear lenses and orange bulbs, to make them less obvious. I'm not sure what to do at the front either. Maybe find another pair.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
harveypj
  • harveypj
16 years ago
Thanks guys, food for thought.
I've been surfing the net after seeing a photo of some ideal looking lights in the gallery on 'historic vw club's' site.
I'm pretty sure I have found the exact same lights at 'vintagecarparts.co.uk' £9.50 each.
What do you recon?
 12683.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
mrsherbie
16 years ago
I think they look fine and will do the job nicely 😃 Then if you come across some quirky old ones/ or old lenses later you could swap them anyway if you decide you like old rather than new.
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
1958 Harry
16 years ago
They are nice!

I want to do something similar to my '58 as at the mo I only have 'ears' so some additional indicators would increase safety somewhat!

MOT wise tho, if you have indicators front and rear does it need a Hazard switch?
Multi show winning magazine featured '58 Bug - Harry
2007 2.0 New Beetle - Mijj
harveypj
  • harveypj
16 years ago
For the MOT you do not need hazards, my 1966 I had a few years ago was never fitted with them, so a 58 surly will not need them. You do however need some sort of internal indication that the indicators are in operation, ie some sort of flashing light.
The indecators fitted to my car are a period accesory kit and are complete with an additional indicator stork, the end of which is a red beackon light. Similar to those found on early Morris minors and the like.
As you know the red light on the speedo is a constant when the semaphores are out.  12716.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Etzhold1
16 years ago
I Have 4 NOS hella back up lights as showing on the Conv Above for sale,
with orange lenses ! 65 euro each !

Regards,

Guido
1958 Harry
16 years ago

For the MOT you do not need hazards, my 1966 I had a few years ago was never fitted with them, so a 58 surly will not need them. You do however need some sort of internal indication that the indicators are in operation, ie some sort of flashing light.
The indecators fitted to my car are a period accesory kit and are complete with an additional indicator stork, the end of which is a red beackon light. Similar to those found on early Morris minors and the like.
As you know the red light on the speedo is a constant when the semaphores are out.

"harveypj" wrote:

Mine has had its semaphores removed and those ear indicators fitted in their place (a Swedish requirement I believe) but eventually I want to re-fit the semaphores and add additional indicators front and rear.

Just curious what the law was if you had indicators all round.
Multi show winning magazine featured '58 Bug - Harry
2007 2.0 New Beetle - Mijj