adi #2
  • adi #2
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago
Well, im afraid i have no 66 anymore. I took a deposit today and will be leaving at StupidAm this morning to deliver it, and the little 66 shall go to a new owner which im sure it will serve as well as it served me.

BUT...im afraid you guys aint getting rid of me so easily. Im afraid i got hooked on these pre 67 vw things pretty bad.

So, unless my ultimate dream car ever turns up (fiat 500) within my budget, i think its gonna have to be another vw, hopefully a little older then 66 this time.

A 500l in my budget almost appeared, but the owner dont want to sell direct without an auction, and i cant be assed to bid, and its far away, and if i bid and then its a total crapper then i would be stuck 200 miles from home with a wreck, and i cant really go and see it because its 200 miles away, and the guy isnt home till monday anyway when the auction ends, etc etc etc so after brushing THIIIIS close to FINALLY owning a fiat 500, i think fate intervened once more. Dammit.

But i guess its all for the best. They ARE horribly slow...but sooo cute.

Anyone happen to know of anything interasting going? I have a budget of just under 2000, which isnt much im afraid, but considering its the credit crunch and all, maybe something interasting will show up.

I have a couple in mind but always open to new suggestions.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
54 Gertie
15 years ago

i think its gonna have to be another crap vw,

adi #2 wrote:

Glad to hear you've decided to stay slumming in the lowes of VWs![-x :lol:

What have you got in mind, an oval, 50s or 60s?:?:

William
pre67vw
15 years ago

Anyone happen to know of anything interasting going?

adi #2 wrote:

What about this ?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
adi #2
  • adi #2
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago
Funnily enough i just phoned that guy (but he was at work so waiting for a ring back from him).

Anybody here got any opinions on it?

I guess my 2000 wont go that far usually, but in the depths of the economic crisis, stuff sometimes really goes for stupid money, perhaps even something with a non-rectangular rear glass may be possible to obtain?
54 Gertie
15 years ago
It looks good for the money and Fjord blue cars always sell!

What I think it will need is a bit of work soon, just so it doesn't rot away in front of your eyes! It will probably need some gutter treatment (see oranging in pic) and that front quarter panel will want sorting before it reaches the gutters, they are an arse to fix!

In my eyes it will probably need a few bits like this as I reckon that the paint is quite old (but no original) and it is starting to bubble in a few area! Nothing serious and all things that can be done easily now with some rust preventative rather than by wielding the welder a five years time!

When I got my 63 it was starting to bubble in the gutters and a few other places so im sorting it now that it needs only a few 2mm size holes welding rather than in a few years when I will be having to let in huge panels!

Apart from that it looks okay and swedish cars are usually pretty good!

UserPostedImage

William
adi #2
  • adi #2
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago
Hmm...its very tempting.

And being a 58, i finally can exercise my right to put my head through the windshield in the event of a crash, by removing the seat-belts if it has any, if i so desire.

The bodywork is ok, im not so scared of it, i can weld better then most people expect me to 😛. It looks tidy generally, i havnt seen it in person but from what i can see i can honestly say that i have considered taking on way worst cars then that.

Do all swedish beetles have LSD's? I herd somewhere that they have a wierd torsen type diff to help with traction in the snow, since sweden isnt exactly the hottest place in winter, but i dont remember who told me and under what context and wether its even true?

Is there any difference from a UK 58 appart from the side that the steering wheel is on?

I guess it sure WOULD be a step up from a 66, right?
54 Gertie
15 years ago

Hmm...its very tempting.

And being a 58, i finally can exercise my right to put my head through the windshield in the event of a crash, by removing the seat-belts if it has any, if i so desire.

The bodywork is ok, im not so scared of it, i can weld better then most people expect me to 😛. It looks tidy generally, i havnt seen it in person but from what i can see i can honestly say that i have considered taking on way worst cars then that.

Do all swedish beetles have LSD's? I herd somewhere that they have a wierd torsen type diff to help with traction in the snow, since sweden isnt exactly the hottest place in winter, but i dont remember who told me and under what context and wether its even true?

Is there any difference from a UK 58 appart from the side that the steering wheel is on?

adi #2 wrote:

Do you want to come and weld up my spare wheel well? :wink: Im sure you'd be better than me, hard not to be! I connected up the gas bottle wrong and it lasted for about 2 minutes! :oops:

As far as a slip diff goes I've never heard of it on an aircooled!:roll: :?:

Sorry, I sounded really negative in my last post and it does look like a really good overall car! My favoutite bits are the original carpets! :d
William
pre67vw
15 years ago

I guess my 2000 wont go that far usually, but in the depths of the economic crisis, stuff sometimes really goes for stupid money, perhaps even something with a non-rectangular rear glass may be possible to obtain?

adi #2 wrote:

You could get an oval for £2k , but it would be a project that requires a lot of work, so it depends on what you're after.

I personally haven't seen the economic crisis have an affect on Beetle prices just yet, but sit on your cash for a few months and I'm sure things will start to come available!
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
mrsherbie
15 years ago
I agree with pre67's comments exactly ^ . In fact oddly, there are so few pre57 cars for sale at the moment demand/prices seem to have gone up a little even! :? I think thats in part due to the fact very few ovals have been imported into the uk in the last 5-10yrs while buses have been so popular. And there are less and less good original unmolested ones out there now than there were before the 'bus phenomenon'
Its buses that are diving at the moment especially, average splitscreens, and even worse all those crazy fools who seem to think their average heavily welded up Bay is worth £10k :lol:

I have seen that fjord car once a few years back as I know busnut, and I remember thinking it was a very good complete car then, I certainly think its worth the £, although I have never looked at it closely or under or since it has been daily driven for the last few years so it may have deteriorated a little, but you can fix and patch/paint in any small repairs it has while you have it on the road, as that old paint job is very acceptable from memory too. As Gertie says, being a Swede it is very unlikely to have any hidden or bad rot. Certainly worth going to look at this one :d
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
mrsherbie
15 years ago

adi #2 wrote:

Swedish cars usually have cloth interiors (not vinyl like uk) nothing else major jumps to mind? I dont know about LSDs because I am a woman! but will find out for you.

adi #2 wrote:

I dont know, its all personal preference and about the condition of the car is'nt it? I would always jump on a mint original low mile 65/6/7 and later if the car was exceptional enough, over a tatty rusty pre63. I can think of a few stunning big window cars post63. But then its probably easier to say this if you have already owned a pre57 car before maybe?

For me, if I had to daily drive one, it would only be a post68 car because they are fast, warm and comfortable :lol:
54 Gertie
15 years ago

For me, if I had to daily drive one, it would only be a post68 car because they are fast, warm and comfortable :lol:

mrsherbie wrote:

Traitor!:lol:
William
SixtyFive
15 years ago
glad you sold it, as it sounded like if you didn't like the car anyway....

dubrockers
15 years ago
if you have'nt sorted out another car yet i know where there is a nice LHD diamond green oval for sale for about 2k
plus need's very little work
GKL 7
15 years ago

if you have'nt sorted out another car yet i know where there is a nice LHD diamond green oval for sale for about 2k
plus need's very little work

dubrockers wrote:

Not wishing to dive in but....
CAN YOU PM ME with details.
Thankyou.
GKL 7
15 years ago
Sorry,
work needed ,location,You know the usual questions.
dubrockers
15 years ago
well in fact at moment can lay my hands on a few ovals the diamond green is the cheapest for 2k
just moved to the uk from holland
car's are in holland jump on plane and you can drive it home all are runner's so dont need to tow if this helps
GKL 7
15 years ago
:roll: Hollands a big place.
Give us a clue:idea:
mrsherbie
15 years ago

Give us a clue:idea:

'50 Karmann wrote:

Hmm,

Its Black ( you like) and its in Holland :wink:

Destiny? and a bargain at just 5500euros!

dream car