topolino
15 years ago
does anyone know anything about the history of beetles in japan, as i bought a 65 about six months ago, right hand drive from someone who imports busses from japan , the beetle was brought over just to fill up a container, its quite rust free two very small patches on front inner wings about two inches square and a small captive nut repair where the running board fits , managed to find out some info , the car was german built imported into japan new in 65 deluxe in white with around twenty others of the same spec, when they arrived in japan they were repainted in a metalic black that in strong sunlight has a rainbow effect, some were fitted with golde ragtops, 5 bow ragtops as mine has, popout windows,red rear lens ,peanut front indicators and towel rail bumpers and reupholstered inside, i can only guess this was done to get round some sort of japanese import restrictions at the time and with all the work done the cars were sold at a premium price, has anyoneelse got any info on beetles sold in japan in the 60s.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
mrsherbie
15 years ago
I owned a 1303S as my daily driver in NZ and that had been imported in from Japan about 8yrs before. But I never got round to finding out any more about it. Sorry really not very helpful :oops:
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann