Judson53
15 years ago
Were can i get the corect master cylinder for my 53 from?

cheers
andy
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
GKL 7
15 years ago
If you contact John Maxwell via The Historic Volkswagen Club,he has details of a supplier who stocks a perfect replacement part.I believe John used one on his '53.
Apparently identical to original.
Judson53
15 years ago
Thanks very much,will do that :lol:
Ovalbug
15 years ago
I was led to believe that the 50-66 bus master cylinder is the same as the pre-54 Beetle one ie the one with a fluid reservoir mounted on top? :?:
'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
'72 1302LS Karmann Cabrio RHD
15 years ago

Were can i get the corect master cylinder for my 53 from?

cheers
andy

Judson53 wrote:

i thought yours was a standard? Cable brakes?
www.vwoval.co.uk
Jules
15 years ago

I was led to believe that the 50-66 bus master cylinder is the same as the pre-54 Beetle one ie the one with a fluid reservoir mounted on top? :?:

Ovalbug wrote:

I think you are right in that the Bus Master will fit and work in the correct way.... but it's bigger, 22mm I think!!!

We have a very similar cylinder at KK but 19mm, might be closer to original?
Judson53
15 years ago

i thought yours was a standard? Cable brakes?

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

sadly they were replaced with hydrolics many years ago!:cry:
15 years ago

Ovalbug wrote:

Thats what I have done on my '53... the reservoir is a plastic one.. but only i will know..[-x
www.vwoval.co.uk
Ovalbug
15 years ago

Thats what I have done on my '53... the reservoir is a plastic one.. but only i will know..[-x

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

Me too, have got a bus master cylinder and plastic reservoir (in case the original metal one doesn't fit on the new cylinder) for my '53............
The OE cylinders are still available as its also a Porsche 356 fitment and you can get Ate ones , but they are a lot of money.....
Didn't know the master cylinder bore was different though! :lol:
'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
'72 1302LS Karmann Cabrio RHD
Jules
15 years ago

The OE cylinders are still available as its also a Porsche 356 fitment and you can get Ate ones , but they are a lot of money.....

Ovalbug wrote:

We now have repro '4 bolt' cylinders... great quality and cheaper than the ATE ones!
GKL 7
15 years ago

but only i will know..[-x

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

The STOCK POLICE will have their heads under that car at Stanford Hall..................
You will be sussed in seconds:wink: