GKL 7
15 years ago
OH!MY.
WHAT A TOTAL BUMMER.
I FEEL FOR YOU ROB.
69project
15 years ago
i really dont think that it just has to be split/oval age to be expensive,im a bit of a classified geek(you may realise this by all my links to cars for sale!)and there just doesnt seem too many cheap bargains to be had as a newcomer to the scene

prices for beetle seems to be going up and buses going the other way,but as we all have seen this just means lots of restored junk being put up for sale as people try too make easy money

personally i see big window 57-67 beetles being the next big thing as the others are not as readily available anymore...just ask stu in his search for an oval!

p.s,shame you didnt get car either rob 😞
Car less.....
69project
15 years ago
doesnt have to be old....

https://www.autoscout24.de/Details.aspx?id=lzq2givdnntl 

what are people on???
Car less.....
Rich Oakley
15 years ago

I have to be honest and say that these silly prices really make me lose interest in the old VW. I've always liked old beetles because they're quirky but cool looking, not because of their value. If prices continue to go the way they have, I really don't know if I can be bothered anymore - especially when you see what you can get for your money away from the VW.

That Karmann is lovely, but €53k? It just shows that the car is now in the realms of the collector and not normal folk anymore.

pre67vw wrote:

Rob,

I have to agree with you to a large extent, whether you're in a bad mood or not. My comments below are observations and not criticisms....

Hebs, early Karmanns and other rare coachbuilts have always been in high demand and as such, have commanded 'high' prices. But recently, the price of these rare early vehicles has sky-rocketted to dizzying heights which has placed them beyond the reach of most VW enthusiasts.

As already mentioned in this thread, it is now getting to the stage where people are asking, on a regular basis, crazy money (in my opinion) for 'regular' and very often incorrect split window Beetles. It's all down to supply and demand at the end of the day, but I can't help thinking that the 'hobby' is starting to be more investment-driven rather than enthusiast-driven.

I missed out on a really nice early '50 Heb some years ago for $12,000. I was gutted, but that's when Hebs weren't as pricey!

47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
harveypj
15 years ago
:shock: O M G:!: :!: :shock:
Stock......the new custom
54 Gertie
15 years ago
Wow! That heb looks in good shape! :shock: They are normally in two bits, and then come out looking brand new! :wink:

Sorry you missed out on it but im sure something will turn up! :d
William
pre67vw
15 years ago

but I can't help thinking that the 'hobby' is starting to be more investment-driven rather than enthusiast-driven.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Exactly!

However, I do think that the economic downturn will start to kick in for a good 90% of the cars soon. It seams like there's a lot more on the market at the moment, people trying to get good money before things really hit the fan (which I'm sure it will).

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
kdf38
15 years ago

Seems a bargain? Was it a legit ad? or a scammer ad?

Mike
Mike
Texas
Nov. 1947 +
Febr 1949 shell
pre67vw
15 years ago

Seems a bargain? Was it a legit ad? or a scammer ad?

Mike

kdf38 wrote:

It was legit, I've heard of a couple of others transferring hands for similar money in the past so I don't think it was a unique case. Just never there at the right time... :cry:

I also think that the internet has a lot to answer for with all these big prices, the big money cars get worldwide exposure like never before and everyone else thinks they can hang on the coat tails. Not many of the reasonably priced cars make the headlines.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Standard split
15 years ago
I check classic car sites almost daily.

The fact is that most classic cars are static, or indeed falling in value. or not selling at all. This seems more so with UK cars, Austin, Morris, Ford and the like.

VW certainly is a law unto itself in the vintage car world. The interest continues to grow with younger people who would not even remember Beetles as a daily sight on the road moving into the scene, which is good as it secures the marque a good long future 😎

With prices of Type II VWs going silly a few years ago, it was inevitable that the early Beetles would follow. I don't find the high values that annoying – the split window Beetle is a fantastic car, a huge milestone in the evolution of the motor car and the corner stone of one of the world's most successful car companies :beer:

So if you think about it, it's bound to be highly collectable and valued. I find it odd that some people are still messing around with them lowering them and the like. Hopefully high values will stop this activity :wink:

What is annoying are the people that buy these classic Beetles and then put them back up for sale at a much higher price 2 days later :twisted:

It's not just the early VW Beetle going beyond reach of the man in the street. Tatra streamliners have gone mad. I brought my 1937 T87 in Germany just over 2 years ago at what I thought was serious money. These cars are now selling in excess of £100,000, with even a wreck beyond most people's reach now.

High prices seem to be a rear engine air-cooled thing – Volkswagen, Tatra and Porsche.

It's interesting to note that the '46 shown at the start of this thread does not appear that original. Later bumpers, and what looks like a full De Luxe headlining:!:

'Practical Classics' magazine seem to think you can buy a very nice Volkswagen 'Split screen' 1946 - 53 Beetle for around £8,000, according to their price guide :?

Not surprising though for a magazine that voted the Morris Minor the 'Car of the Century'. But then what else do Morris Minor owners read. We have plenty of Volkswagen titles to buy at WH Smith :d

Anyway, I thought that the 'Screen' was at the front – windSCREEN :?:

With the £2,000 scrapping scheme now introduced a rough 1974 Beetle has to be worth at least £2,000 :shock:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
vintagevw
15 years ago

UserPostedImage

Advertised for 10000CHF (which should give you a clue to its location)

pre67vw wrote:

Hm, I like it! :d
And I'm not teasing you Rob! :d
Wat is het fijn om lesbisch te zijn!
Bjoern
15 years ago

Hm, I like it! :d
And I'm not teasing you Rob! :d

vintagevw wrote:

The car was offered for 10.000 Suisse franc - thats 6.600 Euro. It was sold to Austria - and the fresh owner earned 5 times of his invested money by selling it after a few days.

I am sorry that I was too late when I found the advert on a suisse website - and I am very sorry because I have been in the small village where the car was hidden in a barn when I have piced up the Tuescher Rollback last autum.

Hebmüsser for salge 
pre67vw
15 years ago

The fresh owner earned 5 times of his invested money by selling it after a few days.

Bjoern wrote:

Now that REALLY sucks...:evil:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Standard split
15 years ago
The increasing the value of your Beetle and passing it on for big money to some unsuspecting poor sod seems to work this way, as most would expect I suppose.

Chop your big window late 60s on car around into something, anything in fact that makes it look older :!:

Make your oval into a split (Zwitter its easier) the most popular con:?

or butcher your split into a Heb or Karmann, if you can afford the split to start with :lol:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
Standard split
15 years ago
The increasing the value of you Beetle and passing it on for big money to some unsuspecting poor sod seems to work this way, as most would expect I suppose.

Chop your big window late 60s on car around into something, anything in fact that makes it look older :!:

Make your oval into a split (Zwitter its easier) the most popular con:?

or butcher your split into a Heb or Karmann, if you can afford the split to start with :lol:

Now that REALLY sucks...:evil:

pre67vw wrote:

I think you need to borrow my 'angry' avatar Rob. I have to agree though. These gold digging 'enthusiasts' are making life difficult for the real ones like you and me:evil:

mrsherbie
15 years ago
You cannot blame people who invest a lot of time and effort hunting and finding cars, to have the knowledge they are certainly also enthusiasts. So who is to say which enthusiast 'deserves' the car? At the end of the day, its down to whoever gets out of bed the earliest and gets to the sellers doorstep with all the cash asked in their hand and does'nt dither, mess about or haggle, who will get the car. I suppose I see it both sides.
I also think nowadays with the internet as the biggest sales tool, the chances of being the first to turn up to buy a bargain hebmuller will probably be the person who lives in the nearest town, not halfway across Europe unfortunately. But there is always the chance!

(Saying all this, if Rich Oakley turns up a Heb in my road, yes there will be hell to pay!! and dont you forget it Oakley! :lol: )

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
55Kab
15 years ago

I have to be honest and say that these silly prices really make me lose interest in the old VW. I've always liked old beetles because they're quirky but cool looking, not because of their value. If prices continue to go the way they have, I really don't know if I can be bothered anymore - especially when you see what you can get for your money away from the VW.

pre67vw wrote:

:shock:

Rob, I know you were in a bad mood but really surprised you posted that! After all, if the prices of old VW's continue to rise making you lose interest then it's time for you to sell up and buy that BMW 335d coupe or the like!

In line with Anna's comment, at the end of the day, the value of old cars is dictated by what the market will support and if it means 50,000 euros for a nice early VW then so be it. It's no good hoping that all old VW's should be sold for prices like they were in the mid to late 80's, espcially something uncommon like a Karmann Cab, or Hebmuller. I think a lot of eyebrows were raised when I bought the 55 given the sticker price but for me it was the perfect car and therefore if necessary, worth me paying a premium to get it.

pre67vw
15 years ago
Not really interested in a BMW 335d coupe, but this is cute...

https://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/classic-car-page.php/carno/49729 

1940, 3 spoke steering wheel, roll back sunroof. How much would a VW cost with those features? :shock:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Standard split
15 years ago

Not really interested in a BMW 335d coupe, but this is cute...

https://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/classic-car-page.php/carno/49729 

1940, 3 spoke steering wheel, roll back sunroof. How much would a VW cost with those features? :shock:

pre67vw wrote:

Well the wrong side of £35k for a reasonable 1940 Beetle that's for sure.

I think I'd rather sell my cat and whatever to scrape the money for the Beetle than have the Fiat or anything most else for that matter. I'm not the only one that think like that I'm sure, hence why early Beetles are worth more than an old Fiat. And I wouldn't be selling it on for profit.:wink:

stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
so why was that heb so cheap?? the owner must of known its true value? unless he lives with his head up his arse :lol: