48REME
15 years ago
I am sorry you didn't manage to get the car of your dreams in time, I know the feeling... In 2000, I had my eyes and heart set on what was probably the only 1949 Standard
in Sweden. Beautiful August 1949 model, restored in 1980, one owner from new and even came with a spare crash gearbox and a pair of handed semaphores...all for £4500!
Someone else(maybe you are reading this, Mr. MW...) was hard on the case and beat me to it, only to immediately put it back on the market for about three times the original price. And off it went to the USA where it still is (New Jersey I think). I felt sick for a quite a while!
Prices keep going up and it is more and more difficult to get something decent yet affordable. It's the usual case of supply and demand. Where fashions and trends in cars develop, a nice big money trap awaits...!:cry:
mrsherbie
15 years ago

so why was that heb so cheap?? the owner must of known its true value? unless he lives with his head up his arse :lol:

stu wrote:

Oh go on, mince your words for a change :lol: :lol:
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
54 Gertie
15 years ago

so why was that heb so cheap?? the owner must of known its true value? unless he lives with his head up his arse :lol:

stu wrote:

Quick sale? :wink: Or VERY quick sale as Rob found out!
William
Standard split
15 years ago
I know you're not in old VWs for the money 50 Karmann – but I bet you wish you'd hung on to your '47 :?

I wish I'd brought it :shock:

Where's your Avatar image, or are pics of early Karmanns worth a load too:?:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Rich Oakley
15 years ago

I know you're not in old VWs for the money 50 Karmann – but I bet you wish you'd hung on to your '47 :?

Standard split wrote:

Me too. Ooops, I did :wink: However, it took me ten years of searching to find the 'right' one!
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Standard split
15 years ago

Me too. Ooops, I did :wink: However, it took me ten years of searching to find the 'right' one!

Rich Oakley wrote:

Really is better than money in the bank 😎

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
GKL 7
15 years ago

Where's your Avatar image, or are pics of early Karmanns worth a load too:?:

Standard split wrote:

If wishes were horses,beggars would ride.

Don't use a picture of the car in my avatar anymore as the new owner may not approve.

And YES i'm LOADED.
GKL 7
15 years ago
Rob,where are the Sems.  fullsize.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
55Kab
15 years ago

Rob,where are the Sems.

'50 Karmann wrote:

I was wondering that. BTW was this a known car?

Keep looking and your ear to the ground though Rob, another one I'm sure will come up when you least expect it.
48REME
15 years ago

I bet you wish you'd hung on to your '47 :?

Standard split wrote:

But John...knowing you, you would have wanted to pay peanuts for it like for my 48!
:lol: :lol: :lol: Only teasing, please don't cry and go into a coma this time!:wink:
mrsherbie
15 years ago
Oh you two stop it right now! :lol:

Its true, I did think at the time that 55kabs kab was steep, but now I find myself thinking, well how many other genuine uk rhd pre57 kabs have come up for sale since?!
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Rich Oakley
15 years ago

Oh you two stop it right now! :lol:

Its true, I did think at the time that 55kabs kab was steep, but now I find myself thinking, well how many other genuine uk rhd pre57 kabs have come up for sale since?!

mrsherbie wrote:

Or how many survive? I think 7 is the answer, but I'm sure Martin will put me straight on that one!
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Standard split
15 years ago

But John...knowing you, you would have wanted to pay peanuts for it like for my 48!
:lol: :lol: :lol: Only teasing, please don't cry and go into a coma this time!:wink:

48REME wrote:

Well with hindsight, the sort of money we were talking does seem like peanuts now (it was still a 5 figure sum though).

And if you still had your '48 now you'd be wise to hang on to it Nicolas, these things are going to get out of the reach of most of us it seems :wink:

I didn't cry – was in despair 😞

vintagevw
15 years ago

The car was offered for 10.000 Suisse franc - thats 6.600 Euro. It was sold to Austria - and the fresh owner earned 5 times of his invested money by selling it after a few days.

I am sorry that I was too late when I found the advert on a suisse website - and I am very sorry because I have been in the small village where the car was hidden in a barn when I have piced up the Tuescher Rollback last autum.

Hebmüsser for salge 

Bjoern wrote:

The body number is only 3 digits from mine, mine is #458! :d
Wat is het fijn om lesbisch te zijn!
54 Gertie
15 years ago

The body number is only 3 digits from mine, mine is #458! :d

vintagevw wrote:

Wow! So they would have probably been with Hebmuller at the same time? :wink: Pretty cool really that after almost 60 years cars can be found and matched as close as 3 numbers to another! :beer: :d
William
48REME
15 years ago
Rob, was this a car which you knew about or had pictures of before? Or did you simply come across it by chance? If so, it's amazing that these rare gems still manage to surface now and then even in this day and age. :shock:
pre67vw
15 years ago

Rob, was this a car which you knew about or had pictures of before? Or did you simply come across it by chance? If so, it's amazing that these rare gems still manage to surface now and then even in this day and age. :shock:

48REME wrote:

Just came across this one by chance, but obviously way too late 😶 It is amazing, but like the VW38 - there is stuff still out there just waiting to be found... The search is MUCH more interesting than how much a car is valued at :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
vintagevw
15 years ago

Wow! So they would have probably been with Hebmuller at the same time? :wink: Pretty cool really that after almost 60 years cars can be found and matched as close as 3 numbers to another! :beer: :d

54 Gertie wrote:

And # 461 is only 100KM from my house, also a Swiss one...
Wat is het fijn om lesbisch te zijn!
Standard split
15 years ago

The search is MUCH more interesting than how much a car is valued at :wink:

pre67vw wrote:

So very often is background and history more interesting than a car itself.

I'm thinking of – dare I say it – Rattletrap :lol:

48REME
15 years ago

Just came across this one by chance, but obviously way too late 😶 It is amazing, but like the VW38 - there is stuff still out there just waiting to be found... The search is MUCH more interesting than how much a car is valued at :wink:

pre67vw wrote:

Is it one that you or Yan had listed in the Registry or your own photo bible? How come this could have laid asleep and sheltered from enthusiasts' eyes...!?