55Kab
  • 55Kab
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
14 years ago
That got your attention didn't it!

Was just flicking through some old Safer VW Motoring's trying to find something when I came across this story in the Aug/Sep 82 issue - very interesting...

UserPostedImage

Even a photo

UserPostedImage

Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
54 Gertie
14 years ago
Has he got his fingers between the supposedly spot welded together scuttle and windscreen aperture? :shock: :lol:

Wonder what happened to it as im sure that one of the club members would have been able to rescue it! 😎 :wink:
William
GKL 7
14 years ago
That looks like an awfully long gear lever.
1945....Nowadays people would be fighting to restore that,then it was probably just forgotton and left to rot.
64rotbox
14 years ago
I meant to ask about that, too. I remember the article well from the time... You can probably bet your arse that it ended up as a KdF-Cube, though.
You can call me Al.
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
Haven't seen that before. Looks like a '46/early '47 to me, imported into the UK in 1949. Shame they didn't give the chassis number.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Standard split
14 years ago

Haven't seen that before. Looks like a '46/early '47 to me, imported into the UK in 1949. Shame they didn't give the chassis number.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Its a 1946-47, for sure.

The logo on the blanking plate dates this car. Also, I think KdFs had a removable blanking plate anyway .:wink:

Sorry Rich, but a Mk 1 Polo :?: They're awful. Real 1970s lack of style and quality, not much to choose between that and a Mk 1 Fiesta – YUK :evil:

I hated VW Motoring back then because all you ever saw was Robin Wager's red Mk 1 Polo plastered through it 😢

No wonder that magazines gone.

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
GKL 7
14 years ago

I think KdFs had a removable blanking plate anyway .:wink:

Standard split wrote:

Did you never think of looking when you owned one?

Standard split
14 years ago

Did you never think of looking when you owned one?

'50 Karmann wrote:

My '44 did have a removable blanking panel George.:d

I think (99% certain) that all the KdFs had a removable blanking panel.

The car at the top of this thread is I'm certain, not a KdF.

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
Standard split
14 years ago

That looks like an awfully long gear lever.

'50 Karmann wrote:

I think that the rest of the car has sunk down around the gear lever. Must have been really rotten to do that :cry:

Makes me appreciate how good my old unrestored '47 is.

beetlekey
14 years ago
ItΒ΄s a 46, the VW Logo is NOT in the center of the plate. In late 46 it moves down in the middle of the plate. WOW watch the big switches, need the plate, still good to use.
Marcus
Rich Oakley
14 years ago

Its a 1946-47, for sure.

The logo on the blanking plate dates this car. Also, I think KdFs had a removable blanking plate anyway .:wink:

Sorry Rich, but a Mk 1 Polo :?: They're awful. Real 1970s lack of style and quality, not much to choose between that and a Mk 1 Fiesta – YUK :evil:

I hated VW Motoring back then because all you ever saw was Robin Wager's red Mk 1 Polo plastered through it 😢

No wonder that magazines gone.

Standard split wrote:

My first car was a 1981 Mk1 Fiesta (in 1993). Beetles were out of the question at the time (£££) so I hankered after an early Polo, but my £200 budget would not get me one. I agree, they're not the best of cars, but the early ones are now seriously collectable (so if you find another one, please let me know!) In fact, I'll pay you to find me another good pre-'78 example!
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Standard split
14 years ago

My first car was a 1981 Mk1 Fiesta (in 1993). Beetles were out of the question at the time (£££) so I hankered after an early Polo, but my £200 budget would not get me one. I agree, they're not the best of cars, but the early ones are now seriously collectable (so if you find another one, please let me know!) In fact, I'll pay you to find me another good pre-'78 example!

Rich Oakley wrote:

Now's the time to put away a couple of Polos, Golfs, Derbys, Passats and all the other dull stuff that VW have produced since the end of the Beetle:?

Such a shame that many of the later VWs will be destroyed by the scrappage scheme :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
:d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d :d :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

55Kab
  • 55Kab
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
14 years ago

Such a shame that many of the later VWs will be destroyed by the scrappage scheme

Standard split wrote:

Think you need to do a bit of Googling as a number of Beetles have already fallen victim to the scheme including a fairly old one! :shock: 😞

Standard split
14 years ago

Think you need to do a bit of Googling as a number of Beetles have already fallen victim to the scheme including a fairly old one! :shock: 😞

55Kab wrote:

Now that is NOT good :evil:

Tax exempt cars should be exempt from the scheme. Generally they are not regularly used vehicles and should not be upgraded with new ones.

This scheme is not an environmental issue as the government would have us believe. Scrapping cars and making new ones is a big polluting process.

Keeping an old car going is actually a better environmental move.:wink:

54 Gertie
14 years ago

Keeping an old car going is actually a better environmental move.:wink:

Standard split wrote:

Hence why you get tax exemption in the first place!

And have you got a link, Google did not throw up anything!
William
Standard split
14 years ago

Hence why you get tax exemption in the first place!

And have you got a link, Google did not throw up anything!

54 Gertie wrote:

I don't think that the green lobby would agree. They hate cars – especially old ones:shock:

The Conservative government introduced the free tax for vehicles once they reached 25 years of age as a concession to what was fast becoming a popular pastime, collecting and restoring old vehicles. It wasn't for the environment. Labour came to power in 1997 and froze the free road tax from rolling on because they wanted more of our money to waste. That's why it has stuck at pre-1973 vehicles, (1972 + 25 = 1997)

Haven't checked Google yet, don't want to spoil my day seeing a Beetle crushed 😞 😞 😞

48REME
14 years ago

The Conservative government introduced the free tax for vehicles once they reached 25 years of age as a concession to what was fast becoming a popular pastime, collecting and restoring old vehicles. It wasn't for the environment. Labour came to power in 1997 and froze the free road tax from rolling on because they wanted more of our money to waste. That's why it has stuck at pre-1973 vehicles.

Standard split wrote:

So bloody true! I'm sure they'll find a way of even scrapping that all in the name of 'global warming', the biggest con of an excuse to extract money out of us! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Standard split
14 years ago

So bloody true! I'm sure they'll find a way of even scrapping that all in the name of 'global warming', the biggest con of an excuse to extract money out of us! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

48REME wrote:

…and straight into our fiddling MPs' pockets :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Rich Oakley
14 years ago
Back on topic :wink: :roll: .....

I wonder how many KdF-Wagens have ever been on the British Mainland? There's obviously the ex-Cotton/Miller '44 and doesn't Fred Metson in N.Ireland have one now? Past those two, I am seriously struggling to find any evidence of KdF-wagen activity in the UK.