sneal
  • sneal
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
Does anyone know where to get hold of a reservoir for a 56?

Alternatively if anyone has converted their brakes onto a dual circuit what did they use as a new reservoir?
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Jules
14 years ago
We have the original style reservoir's at Karmann Konnection, be cool to use two of them! We also have the slightly later dual circuit plastic resovoir that was used on US cars and is a perfect solution for converting 60's cars as it retains the correct factory look.
pre67vw
14 years ago
On our Oval I put on two original style metal reservoirs, there are a couple of different types but they're only very slightly different - on one the bracket has two bolts, the other has one bolt and the base slides under a tab. I've used one of each (out of luck rather than judgement), the original was a one bolt bracket, then the new one just has two bolts on.

However, the tricky part was that instead of the metal brake line running straight into the top of the single circuit master cylinder - the dual circuit master cylinders use a larger style rubber pipe - so you have to configure some way of attaching the thinner hose to the thicker hose. I tried a couple of different methods which didn't work out, in the end I got some 8mm bar and drilled it to fit the smaller metal pipe on the reservoir and carefully welded it to the reservoir, then I ran the larger rubber hose all the way.

On my cabrio I got a '67 only plastic reservoir that sits in the original position behind the spare wheel, but again it's the same problem of small pipe to large pipe on the master cylinder. I used the same technique of pipe/bar and made some adapters.

Hope this helps!
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
sneal
  • sneal
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
Thanks for your responses - its good to know I need to mod a little bit for the hoses. I would prefer to fit a second correct reservoir!

Jules - I thought I all ready checked your website but I can only find the '67 reservoir for the US cars can you point me to a link ???

cheers
54 Gertie
14 years ago
😎

UserPostedImage
William
sneal
  • sneal
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
Nice, did you fabricate those?
55Kab
14 years ago

UserPostedImage

54 Gertie wrote:

Now come on Will, you know the rules...no custom parts on the forum!!!:lol:

55Kab
14 years ago

Does anyone know where to get hold of a reservoir for a 56?

Alternatively if anyone has converted their brakes onto a dual circuit what did they use as a new reservoir?

sneal wrote:

Why don't you do what I'm doing. Convert your brakes to dual circuit and mount a plastic reservoir on top of the master cylinder. Machine 7 sell these.

Then you can have your 56 reservoir as a dummy and your braking system would be safer with the new reservoir out of sight. Visually it's a mod that keeps the car looking stock. :wink: