BavarianRescue
14 years ago
Sorry, but I need help. Can a self proclaimed (or otherwise) VW horn expert contact me? I don't want to waste the time of the forum but would like to get my horn working. Feel free to contact me off line at [email protected]
Thank you in advance:?
David
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
54 Gertie
14 years ago
Hello

I think you may get more help if you describe the issues you are having.
William
BavarianRescue
14 years ago
Well, ok....here goes,
I have a '61 Bug, 1600cc with a 12volt conversion. The steering wheel in the car has a brass ring molded into the hub. There are no holes for the contact pins, just the screw holes that retain the horn ring. Last week I pulled the wheel and double checked that I had all the correct plastic washers in place, all was good. I have power to the horn, so my issue must be with the wheel hub. There was no plastic piece on my wheel and the cancelling ring has no 'knubs' that would accept the plastic ring. I just can not figure out was is not making contact. It seems as though there is no interface between the steering wheel hub and the power wire to the horn. Is it possible to run a ground wire up the steering column ?? or.....
Official VW newbie appreciates, in advance, any help provided.
dws
VW Stan
14 years ago
Hi, welcome to the forum.

Unlike other years, the '61-'62 deluxe used the column to carry the current rather than a wire.
This article on the Wolfsburg West website explains how the horn wiring changed over the years and should help you solve the problem...

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wired/wired_12_00/wired_12_00.htm 

:d

It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
BavarianRescue
14 years ago
I read the article referenced above. Have found the elusive brown wire.
In the article it states "also, insure that the chrome horn ring is mounted to the steering wheel properly". I thought mine was ok, but it is the next obvious place to check. What exactly is the correct horn ring installation procedure then?:?:
TIA
dws