Last Triumph
13 years ago

I got the same problem. Wouldn't even work through my proxy server either! :thumbdn:

Send me the vid Andy or upload without music...or reupload it without a Sony music protected track!

55Kab wrote:

The video is in two halves - the first half is a montage of pictures to music showing highlights of the rebuild - this is where the issue lies.

The second half is the fire up video which whilst has music, is in the back ground so isn't picked up by the copyright spies...

I'll load up the second half on it's own tonight which will at least allow you to see it running.
I can supply...
25/36hp Crank-Flywheel shims - 3 sizes
NOS king pin thrust & fibre washers - all sizes
Cloth braided nitrile fuel hose safe for modern fuels
PM me for details...
55Kab
13 years ago

I'll load up the second half on it's own tonight which will at least allow you to see it running.

Last Triumph wrote:

please...

Last Triumph
13 years ago

please...

55Kab wrote:

I've got to work late tonight as we are launching the new 6 series, but I'll have something up before I go to bed. :thumbup:
I can supply...
PM me for details...
69project
13 years ago
nice video,glad it all came together

only sad thing now is what will we all do with our lives now the 57 is finished and no more extensive updates....:?
Car less.....
Last Triumph
13 years ago

nice video,glad it all came together

only sad thing now is what will we all do with our lives now the 57 is finished and no more extensive updates....:?

69project wrote:

Errr.... it's not finished - not by a long shot!

All I've done is get it running - we're about half way through I reckon...

Got to get it ready for MOT next, then register it, then all the sympathetic cosmetic work can start.

:thumbup:

I ain't going anywhere!
I can supply...
PM me for details...
RoRoVw
13 years ago
Thanks for the link, Will. But still can't see it because of the Sony issue. Pity.
Last Triumph
13 years ago

Thanks for the link, Will. But still can't see it because of the Sony issue. Pity.

RoRoVw wrote:

For those who cannot watch it due to copyright issues, I am reloading the video from the mid way point, just before it fires up, but without the initial montage, as this is what Sony are having an issue with as the soundtrack was a full song in its entirity.

Should be uploaded in about 1 hour....

:thumbup:
I can supply...
PM me for details...
Last Triumph
13 years ago
Here is the 2nd half of the video which should be Sony friendly...

I can supply...
PM me for details...
13 years ago
Bit of a 'Newbie' on here, but been reading/watching the 'usual crew' for a while now!
Great progress LT, you've got a beauty there! Can't wait to see it at Stanford, you are going to make it aren't you!! If so I'll have some St/box seals and V belts! :thumbup:
Last Triumph
13 years ago

Bit of a 'Newbie' on here, but been reading/watching the 'usual crew' for a while now!
Great progress LT, you've got a beauty there! Can't wait to see it at Stanford, you are going to make it aren't you!! If so I'll have some St/box seals and V belts! :thumbup:

Low Speed Dubbin wrote:

As long as there is no issue with the MOT and registration, I'll be at Stanford - I'll bring a stash of V belts, fuel hose and steering box seals too.

Should have production of early crank shims up and running in a few weeks fingers crossed... :thumbup:

Anyway...

Good news - I've just been out to the garage for the first time since yesterday and I checked underneath - there isn't a single spot of oil anywhere - most satisfying!

Also, amongst all of yesterday's activity, I did a compression test and they were all just over 100 psi which is perfectly 6.6:1 as per the manual with no variance between cylinders. I dipped the oil and it is crystal clear too!

In all the excitement yesterday, I didn't really take any still pictures other than these two - one just before Dad turned the key, and the other of me giving him his first drink for a very long time.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I'll be back in the garage with more progress this weekend folks...

I can supply...
PM me for details...
13 years ago
Great Stuff LT, I'll keep posted about Stanford etc..

one just before Dad turned the key, and the other of me giving him his first drink for a very long time.

Last Triumph wrote:

Your Dad partial to a drop of petroleum?.......
55Kab
13 years ago

Last Triumph wrote:

Tks Andy that one works. Good job and loved the ending, perfect. :thumbup:

TSAF
13 years ago

Last Triumph wrote:

I almost cried!!!!!!!!!
Last Triumph
13 years ago

I almost cried!!!!!!!!!

TSAF wrote:

Sadly, the 2nd part you;ve seen loses some of it's impact without the first half which really sets the mood, but there's nothing I can do about that, unless anyone knows where I might host it away from Sony's thought police?
I can supply...
PM me for details...
RoRoVw
13 years ago
Yes can see it now. Fantastic! A real achievement. Well done!
Mike Peckham
13 years ago
Fantastic Andy, well done! Great video - I keep coming back to it and still love it!

Looking forward to seeing the car in the flesh at Stanford Hall.

Mike :thumbup:
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
Sunroof53
13 years ago
Well done LT !,Of course most restorers have experienced the joy of that first drive after the ups and down of such work.
Whats really unique in my opinion is the way you seem to have captured the experience for the reader in a way thats similar to watching a soap opera.I havnt seen many threads capture the interest over so many different sites :thumbup: .

Loved the video, but i did cringe at the end :unsure:

Thanks

Mike
DeanoVW
13 years ago
You have an excellent eye for detail.

All your hard work and dedication has paid off. Well done and thanks for sharing.
Last Triumph
13 years ago

Loved the video, but i did cringe at the end :unsure:

Sunroof53 wrote:

No worries - not everyone enjoyed E.T..... 😛
I can supply...
PM me for details...
Last Triumph
13 years ago
Right then - on with part two, which is getting it ready for MOT inspection and registration.

Before I started on the electrics, I'd been bothered about an issue with the air control ring which was getting sucked into the closed position as soon as the throttle was opened which is not good.

I toyed with several theories until I was sent a document via an old school VW mechanic which was scanned from an original workshop manual....

UserPostedImage

This may look like the same information that is in the Bentley and other manuals, but it has the addition of a real nugget of important information.... it states that the 20 mm measurement is a static measurement and that when hot and running, the gap is actually meant to be at least 25-30 mm..... which makes all the difference in the world.

To correct this, I ran my engine for 20 mins and noticed that due to the very cold ambient temperature, the thermostat simply wasn't opening all the way, which is why my control ring was hovering in a state of equilibrium and easily sucked into the housing... So with the engine running, and to simulate hot summer running, I added the hair drier to the thermostat until it opened fully...

UserPostedImage

Here you can see the thermostat now fully extended and firmly up against the upper part of the bracket, which is at an angle hence the stat tends to look bent when fully extended.

UserPostedImage

This yielded the 20 mm gap I'd originally set...

UserPostedImage

Which I now no is too small for dynamic hot running. so with it in this condition, I then reset the air ring gap to the 25-30 mm gap that VW recommend.

UserPostedImage

With is in this position, it is no longer drawn towards the housing when the engine is revved and feels much more solid in this position.

When the engine cooled down, the ring returned to it's preloaded condition pressing against the fan housing.

This solves the mystery and I hope is a help to others with the same problem.

What this did also highlight is that in cold ambient temperatures the stat simply does't get hot enough to force the ring out all the way - which in itself is not a problem as it will just restrict air flow and encourage the motor to run as warm as it can in the given conditions.

I then had another fiddle with the engine for about an hour adjusting and tweaking everything until it was running as well as I could get it...

Here's a little LT-TV - no music this time!

Runs nice!

What I am noticing is that I'm getting manifold icing on the vertical part of the manifold under the carb. The pre heat pipes are fairly clear and get hot enough to burn the paint. The horizontal part of the manifold is warm - just the vertical part that is icing. Is this normal and just a function of the cold weather?

Anyway, on to the electrics...

I have read that when the 6V system is new, it works very well, but ass contacts dull and corrode, the system starts to lose some of it's potential

In this vein, before I started, I pulled all the fuses and cleaned them up one by one. To do this I used tooth paste and an old tooth brush to great effect.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I then cleaned up all the contact points in the fuse box to make sure everything was as it should be.

UserPostedImage

And likewise on the main fuse panel. Note the original labelling card.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

With the fuses and contacts all cleaned and ready, I was just about to start testing stuff, when I was rudely interrupted by Mrs LT with a nice hot toasted bacon sandwich. Damn shame!

UserPostedImage

With my belly now satisfied, I started to test the electrical systems...

Tail and brake lights work, but this picture highlights the need to upgrade to the LED system. When I get round to installing them, I'll do one side at a time and take a with and without side by side comparison test to demonstrate the difference.

UserPostedImage

The headlights work on both low and high beam.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The number plate light works, as do all the speedo warning lights, but I neglected to take pics of these.

I did however take this picture of the semaphores which work a treat, albeit one of the bulbs has expired... I love this shot!

UserPostedImage

So - other than one semaphore bulb and one tail lamp bulb - all is well - or so it seemed....

Despite all my best efforts, despite massaging it in all the right places, showing it pictures of other Beetles, videos of the open road, even dosing it with a little aphrodisiac - I simply couldn't give it the horn.

Not turned on - simply not horny at all. It had a head ache and wanted an early night.

Typical...

I removed the horn, and tested resistance across the terminals and got nothing at all. I then put the multi meter across the horn wires when the horn was depressed and measured a healthy 6.6 volts which confirms the horn simply finds me unattractive in the extreme.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I've no idea if these can be fixed or not, but I'll take it apart anyway and see if I can find anything obvious that I can repair. If divorce is on the cards due to irreconcilable differences, I'll be on the hunt for a NOS or working original.

I'll see what's inside first and report back.

One is, in short, amused....
I can supply...
PM me for details...