55Kab
13 years ago

I was rudely interrupted by Mrs LT with a nice hot toasted bacon sandwich. Damn shame!

UserPostedImage

Last Triumph wrote:

Nice update, I particularly like this bit ^^^ or rather I don't as you can't get bacon here... :evil:

Last Triumph
13 years ago
Stripped the horn last night to see what's what....

Nice and clean inside, but the contacts were heavily corroded.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

So in usual LT style...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

With everything else cleaned and checked, I re-assembled it all and tested the resistance accross the terminals at just over 1 ohm.

I adjusted the screw on the back which sets the pre-load on the contacts at various tensions, then hooked it up to a 6V power supply.

Nothing.

Net.

Nein.

Non.

Because the coil is not open circuit and all the contacts are clean, there is no reason why it shouldn't work - so.....

Does anyone remember the film Crocodile Dundee where one of the bad dudes stumbles across one of Mick's mates sipping a beer out in the bush and says to him "Should have bought a gun, mate" to which he he replied, "I don't need a gun, I've got a Donk!" ?

Well, in electronics terms, I've got a Donk of my own who has agreed to have a look at the horn today for me. He designs high grade miletary electronics for a living, so shouldf be able to fathom a horn!

I'll let you know later.

If it all turns to rat shit, would a set of Dixies be out of place?
I can supply...
25/36hp Crank-Flywheel shims - 3 sizes
NOS king pin thrust & fibre washers - all sizes
Cloth braided nitrile fuel hose safe for modern fuels
PM me for details...
Donk
13 years ago
Hi mate, I’m embarrassed for both of us.
Points adjust screw required rotating 45 degrees clockwise.
Time to fix 5 minutes including 4 minutes 50 seconds to find a flat blade screwdriver.

Excellent job on the restore by the way!
Last Triumph
13 years ago
Having paid an early morning visit to my secret weapon 'Donk' I now have a working original horn!

'Donk' took the opportunity to abuse me somewhat when all that was required to fix it was a quarter turn on the adjustment scew which was done before his kettle had boiled....

... I'd already tried that, which is what makes it even more annoying!

Anyway - to celerbrate, here'a a little movie!

:D

And for those living behind the copyright iron curtain...

I can supply...
PM me for details...
55Kab
13 years ago
Strangely I could watch both of those...and I was hoping that on the last note of Strauss' drum there would be a herbie like beep, beep and there it was... :smile:

Your comment at the end of the second vid made me laugh :beer:

TomF
13 years ago
Regarding your throttle control ring, you need the little rubber stop to make sure the thermostat & spring don't return it too far into the fanhousing opening. It looks like it's worn/broken off yours.

Keep up the good work!
Last Triumph
13 years ago

Regarding your throttle control ring, you need the little rubber stop to make sure the thermostat & spring don't return it too far into the fanhousing opening. It looks like it's worn/broken off yours.

Keep up the good work!

TomF wrote:

It is there, just worn...

Where can replacements be found?
I can supply...
PM me for details...
Jules
13 years ago

It is there, just worn...

Where can replacements be found?

Last Triumph wrote:

I know a nice supplier that has those 😎
Last Triumph
13 years ago

I know a nice supplier that has those 😎

Jules wrote:

99p for the rubber stop, £4.95 postage.... plus VAT! :rofl:

Only kidding... I guess I need to find a few more things to buy before I phone up for a rubber blob!

How much are they BTW? I think I need two from memory?
I can supply...
PM me for details...
Mike Peckham
13 years ago
OI! Andy!! Make a bit of room in your inbox will you? It's full again... :wink:

Mike
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
Last Triumph
13 years ago
Anyone fancy an update?

Good, then we'll begin.

Firstly, I'll start this update with a very sad and distressing picture of a beautifully original '58 discovered in Australia recently, which has undergone a bit of a rebuild to get back on the road to be enjoyed.

This is what happened first time out...

UserPostedImage

"Sorry, I didn't see your brakes....." was the other drivers response!

Oh, ok then, that's alright - forget about it, really, it's no problem at all, it was an old car anyway.......

The owner of that particular car is bravely rebuilding it as we speak and actually was man enough to reference the LED or not debate after the crash. My sympathies are with him and I know he'll get his pride and joy back on the road real soon.

It's a modification that can be reversed in 20 minutes so after seeing that, I am utterly convinced it's the way to go.

So - here is my 'how to' fit ChipC's LED rear light kit post.

First up, the rear light clusters need to be taken apart.

UserPostedImage

With the bulb and holder removed, the reflector assembly can be separated from the housing by removing the retaining spring clip wire.

UserPostedImage

Which will reveal the original seal which is likely to be in pretty poor shape - mine were and will be replaced in due course, but for the mean time, they will be used as if they'd never been apart.

UserPostedImage

With the lens assembly now 'free', the four metal tabs that hold the lens to the reflector need to be very gently and carefully bent upwards to release the lens.

UserPostedImage

Which will then allow a secondary red filter lens to be removed along with its seal which needs to be re-used.

UserPostedImage

Here are all the components laid out in assembly order.

UserPostedImage

After a good clean of the hardware and large rubber seal still attached to the rear wing, it is now time to start the rebuild process. Firstly, take the new LED unit and fit it in the reflector housing along with the seal on top - this is where the secondary red filter plate went which is now discarded.

UserPostedImage

Then place the main lens back on top and secure by carefully bending the four metal tabs back in place.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Then using the spring wire retaining clip, fit the new light back into the housing again.

My Oval had a yellow and a white wire coming through the wing - the white wire is the tail light and the yellow wire is for the brake light - remember this is a European model with semaphores so doesn't;have flashing indicators in the rear lights.

There are three wires coming out of the new LED unit, white, black and grey. They join up as follows - yellow/black, white/grey, then the white wire needs to be earthed. Chip suggests running a long wire to a fender mounting bolt, but I chose to use the mounting bracket screw that secures the rear lamp housing which is perfectly well earthed to the wing and hence the car.

And that's all there is to it - here are the results....

To show a comparison, I did the left unit first then took these pictures before doing the right hand unit.

Normal tail lights in bright conditions...

UserPostedImage

And dark conditions...

UserPostedImage

And with the brakes lights, both light and dark...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Close up of the brake light in bright conditions...

UserPostedImage

And in the dark...

UserPostedImage

Compared to the normal side in the dark...

UserPostedImage

The pictures don't do them justice, as the difference is awesome and I feel these are a fantastic safety modification to help guard against other motorists who might not be looking for dim 6V bulbs...

The other job I did tonight was to set the front end alignment. I didn't want to take the car to just a random tire shop, as I simply don't trust them. I couldn’t do them in work as all out equipment requires a program to be run which contains all the data for the car and special mounting lugs to fit location holes on our wheels etc..

I asked one of the old school technicians for some advice and he said "follow me.... you need some of these......" and produced a lovely vintage pair of alignment gauges which he very kindly lent to me for the evening!

Who's a lucky boy then?

After checking with the Bentley manual that the settings should be up to 3mm toe in, I set up and zeroed the gauges then made some initial measurements to see what I had.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Not too bad to be fair - this pic shows just under 2 degrees of toe-in which whilst is too much, isn't a million miles away.

UserPostedImage

After several adjustments, I got it to about 1 degree and 20 minutes which once you dial in the diameter of the wheel, tells you that it is 2.2mm toe-in which is pretty much bang on in the middle of the ideal range.

I actually managed to get a picture of it all lined up through the little spy glass!

UserPostedImage

That's all for now - other than a few final checks, we should be ready for the MOT inspection next Tuesday, weather permitting of course!
I can supply...
PM me for details...
55Kab
13 years ago

The pictures don't do them justice, as the difference is awesome and I feel these are a fantastic safety modification to help guard against other motorists who might not be looking for dim 6V bulbs...

Last Triumph wrote:

Absolutely...I just could not undetstand the slating I got for fitted LED's to my heart lights over on the other forum. They were people that obviously valued originality over their life at worst or repairing their pride and joy at best.

Nice mod :thumbup:

Last Triumph
13 years ago

Absolutely...I just could not undetstand the slating I got for fitted LED's to my heart lights over on the other forum. They were people that obviously valued originality over their life at worst or repairing their pride and joy at best.

Nice mod :thumbup:

55Kab wrote:

I'll say it again - no prizes for the most original Oval in the scrap yard.

Especially as it can be put back to stock in 20 mins... :thumbup:

And, it doesn't look any different!
I can supply...
PM me for details...
Last Triumph
13 years ago
Gulp - MOT booked for Tuesday morning..... :unsure:
I can supply...
PM me for details...
harveypj
13 years ago

Gulp - MOT booked for Tuesday morning..... :unsure:

Last Triumph wrote:

I'd wish you 'good luck' but I don't think you'll need any.:smile:

Mine passed today with flying colours:thumbup: It still makes me giggle, the confused look on the testers face while looking for the indicators before realising the semaphores:lol:

Nice mod by the way, can you remind us where you get the LED's from?

Stock......the new custom
Last Triumph
13 years ago

I'd wish you 'good luck' but I don't think you'll need any.:smile:

Mine passed today with flying colours:thumbup: It still makes me giggle, the confused look on the testers face while looking for the indicators before realising the semaphores:lol:

Nice mod by the way, can you remind us where you get the LED's from?

harveypj wrote:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=892796 

I can supply...
PM me for details...
harveypj
13 years ago
LT, whats going on (or should I say 'not')with your number plate light?
Mine looks like this.....  night bug.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Stock......the new custom
Last Triumph
13 years ago

LT, whats going on (or should I say 'not')with your number plate light?
Mine looks like this.....

harveypj wrote:

It was drowned out by the phenominal power of the LED's which the camera compensated for....

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! :rofl:

In all seriousness, I haven't looked at it yet - probably just needs a new bulb and the lens / contacts cleaning..
:thumbup:

I'll order a new bulb tomorrow - what type / fitting are they save me having to go out and look....
I can supply...
PM me for details...
GKL 7
13 years ago

I just could not undetstand the slating I got for fitted LED's to my heart lights over on the other forum.

55Kab wrote:

They gave you stick for modifying a car, on a modified car forum.
How does that work then???