nick_schembri
14 years ago
So I just had a very good look at my car and found a few inconsistencies. The car did not have semaphores after all. The panel beater sanded off the paint in the area and the metal is smooth, there are no marks that indicate that there used to be semaphores. The car is RHD and yet has american 'towel rail' bumpers. Under the bonnet on top of the front apron there is a little metal plaque with german writing on it, dont know if thats normal or not.

So I'm guessing I won't have to be adding semaphores coz it didnt have them in the first place, but ill have to change the front indicators anyway.

It still leaves me not knowing why my car is RHD with features of cars from the american market...

The car was definitely originally a light blue, there is lots of evidence, now that its being stripped.  Image0156c.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
48REME
14 years ago
Then it might be that this is not a 1957 car.
Between August 1960 and March 1961, the Beetle still had oval-type rear lights that flashed but the long 'peanut' indicators on the front wings. Then, the red and orange flashing taillights appeared and continued through the 60s. Maybe your car is from either era, although the side windows are still small - something which changed in 1964.
Your car cannot be from after that.
Remember, in the US, cars were like the European 1960-61 models right from when the first square-windows arrived in September 1957 since the semaphores were disposed of since 1955. However, your car is RHD... a bit of a mystery then.
Maybe there are countries where RHD cars were produced that sported the US-style of indicating rather than the semaphores.
I can only think of Ireland, South Africa, maybe Australia or Japan but I think these countries had the European spec with semaphores. Can anyone else confirm?
nick_schembri
14 years ago
The car is definitely 1957, produced in sepetmber 1957 according to the log book. the chassis number also matches the date.