crazydaze
13 years ago
I did a quick search but could'nt find a mention of it.

https://www.arunltd.com/arunLtd/awp/viewdetails.asp?id=1104 

I'm sure Mr Oakley will have been all over this one, but I actually decided to stop today and have a good look around it.

Now I'm no Oval expert but I think they must be a bit prone to smoking the wacky backy or crack out in the sticks in these parts.

The car was on the cover of Volksworld in 1992 (can't remember the month but a copy of the mag was on the passenger seat) it has old HVWC stickers in the side window's.

The body work is ok, but has filler in the bonnet and front scuttle under the windscreen with bubbling paint and it looks like it go's further, it also has elephant ear indicators instead of semaphores, although the rear lights look correct. Repro front wings, evidence of filler and rust on front inner wings/heater channel, similar plating and rust on rear heater channel ends and the channel lengths look suspect/need propper prodding with a screw driver too. From the outside the interior looks ok if not a little worn, the radio is missing, the aerial is missing with the holes covered with rubber bungs and the starter button? is missing on the dash.

It would be interesting to know how they got hold of it, it looks like an enthusiasts car that has 'fallen' into their hands, and at that price I think they'll have it a while longer too!

Alex.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
55Kab
13 years ago
Interesting Alex. It was featured in the April 92 issue and being a 57 it wouldn't have had a starter button from new so perhaps it had an accessory windscreen washer fitted and that hole was used for the button?

I noticed the website now has it for £7995 but even at that I think it's overpriced for what it is.

Rich Oakley
13 years ago
I spotted it on their forecourt whilst driving past a few weeks ago. As Alex says, it's a nice 'ok' car, but well over-priced. I have no idea how they got their hands on it, but they did also have a low mileage white '66 RHD for sale a while ago.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Ivan
13 years ago
It hasn't had any work done to it since we featured it (I wrote the feature) but it did have some work done prior to being featured and whilst it is very original inside - it has had work underneath and is not 'restored', so to speak. The paint work has lasted very well, but there are a few bubbles and areas that'll need further work. I have number of pics of the areas of concern - if anyone wants to see them email me and I'll fire some high res pics over. The gutters down at the back end where it meets the decklid were starting to rust. As were the seams where the front scuttle meets the quarter panel. The paint is bubbling on the bonnet in a few places. The rear of the bonnet has a few rust bubbles under the paint.
It's missing the semaphores - it's got Elephant ears - but it had these when we featured it. The front wings aren't right.
The interior is very original, and has a lovely 'patina' - but there's a whopping hole for a big radio.
The car is still owned by the same person as when it was featured - the garage is selling it on his behalf as he does not want to get involved in the sale.
They called us for our advice on the market and then marked it up at the price they decided and the owner decided to. I have told them I thought it was too high and they've dropped it down - I think the fact the number plate has a good value has some bearing on the pricing.
It's got a few accessories, a sunvisor over the windscreen, Happich cheese grater on the tail pipes, eyebrows and proper white walls. It's had a dual mount aerial - but it's been taken off and two unsightly black plugs are now filling the holes in the quarter panel (I am not and never have been a fan of dual mount aerials!).
Like I say, I've got a few pics of the car - and if anyone is interested I'd say go and see it and put an offer in. You never know.
RockStock
13 years ago

I am not and never have been a fan of dual mount aerials

Ivan wrote:

look away, Martin!
UserPostedImage
StockRocks
55Kab
13 years ago

look away, Martin!

RockStock wrote:

:lol:

You know what, so am I :oops: :lol: but as I'm pretty sure she had a dual mount aerial from new, certainly for the last 40 years or so, I decided to keep the holes and refit one.

p81.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.