54 Gertie
13 years ago
Shame the decklid spring bracket has rather 'come away'. :cry:

I do love the additional pre heat ideas though.

UserPostedImage
William
59 Ragtop
13 years ago

Looks like the owner was a Subscriber to Practical Motorist Magazine:wink:
55Kab
13 years ago

Loads more photos now on auctioneers website:

https://www.nigel-ward.co.uk/auctions/beetle.html 

w7cal wrote:

I got the same set in an email, so that's good we can see a lot more now. I'm liking this a lot.

vwhelmot
13 years ago
Nice car, but what would you do to it? Restore and lose all the character or be sympathetic? Its one of them cars isn`t it. Mine was similar in condition, so i removed all the surface rust etc and kept what was original to the car.
Looks like its been front ended at one point. The tell tale signs of the spare wheel have made their mark on the back panel under the bonnet.
RockStock
13 years ago

Its one of them cars isn`t it

vwhelmot wrote:

no

looks like its been front ended at one point

vwhelmot wrote:

er no

bidding?
StockRocks
55Kab
13 years ago

what would you do to it?

vwhelmot wrote:

I'm planning on bidding on this, and if I win it, depending on how original it really is, I'd recommision it, carry out a bit of tidying and drive it. A 53-55 RHD UK Oval is up there as one of my favorite Vintage VW's.

I wouldn't even remove the Lucas indicators.

mrsherbie
13 years ago
It is very nice, but rhd/uk cars dont do it for me any more than the same condition leftie, so I would'nt pay the extra to compete with you guys with a rhd fetish UserPostedImage [url=https://www.smileyshut.com/facebook-smileys.html][/url]
I prefer cloth to vinyl interiors and black is the one colour I would not buy on an oval given the other beautiful colours available, apart from kabs obviously.

So anyway, I am out.
Well actually I was never in. :lol:
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
vwhelmot
13 years ago

no

er no

bidding?

RockStock wrote:

No ,not bidding. It has been front ended, i dont care what you say mate, it didnt come from the factory with those creases and the only way to get them is for the rim of the spare wheel to be forced into the back panel. Mine was the same after i was rear ended and pushed into the back of a volvo . Its still a top car and would love it in my garage.
pre67vw
13 years ago

No ,not bidding. It has been front ended, i dont care what you say mate, it didnt come from the factory with those creases and the only way to get them is for the rim of the spare wheel to be forced into the back panel. Mine was the same after i was rear ended and pushed into the back of a volvo . Its still a top car and would love it in my garage.

vwhelmot wrote:

I don't see what creases you're talking about, but if it has been front ended then it's been repaired with a correct 4 finger front valence - so must have been done well...
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Rich Oakley
13 years ago

I don't see what creases you're talking about, but if it has been front ended then it's been repaired with a correct 4 finger front valence - so must have been done well...

pre67vw wrote:

It does indeed look like it has been front-ended, but not very heavily. Have a look at the pic that shows the brake fluid reservoir area. The spare wheel tends to crease the lower panel in a bump, as it has done here.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
RockStock
13 years ago

No ,not bidding. It has been front ended, i dont care what you say mate, it didnt come from the factory with those creases and the only way to get them is for the rim of the spare wheel to be forced into the back panel. Mine was the same after i was rear ended and pushed into the back of a volvo . Its still a top car and would love it in my garage

vwhelmot wrote:

pre67vw wrote:

It does indeed look like it has been front-ended, but not very heavily. Have a look at the pic that shows the brake fluid reservoir area. The spare wheel tends to crease the lower panel in a bump, as it has done here

Rich Oakley wrote:

sorry, my mistake. saw the 4-finger apron, looked good, must have been light.

StockRocks
cupa65
13 years ago
I would gladly pay at least 20000 of your English pounds, just to piss everyone off!!!
Personally I'm with Anna, a leftie has thatlittle bit of intrigue of coming from somewhere alittle different.
And in some cases without the Salt!!!!

Ps would look nice with some Fuch's on it!!!!:evil:
55Kab
13 years ago

a leftie has thatlittle bit of intrigue of coming from somewhere alittle different.
And in some cases without the Salt!!!!

Ps would look nice with some Fuch's on it!!!!:evil:

cupa65 wrote:

Nope not with you on that. There's probably more LHD Oval's in the UK than RHD and as we live in England (well some of us do :lol: ) we have for many years, and will continue, to drive RHD car's on the LH side of the road. Therefore, I put it to you a UK dealer supplied RHD early VW is a thing to behold and we should not be turning our backs on these cars just because "they rust more" that an imported US or elsewhere car.

Any LHD VW in the UK is an outcast (except car's that were not supplied in RHD form) and for this reason RHD early car's should, as they do now, command a premium over a LHD equivilant. Of course salt is one of the reasons for this!

That said, I am with you on the Fuch.... :roll: 😳 :wink: :lol:

Oh I do love a good 'ole Mike Pye style LHD v RHD debate. :lol:

pre67vw
13 years ago
I must admit that I'm not to fussed about RHD either, it's interesting but doesn't go further than that (unless its a RHD split). I've had a couple of LHD cars and although they can be a bit of a pain in car parks and toll booths, other than that they're easy to get along with.

I don't consider a RHD worth more, I would take a solid original LHD over a rusty/restored RHD any day. The other thing to bare in mind is that RHD is a much more limited market in terms of resale, ie if you're asking big money then it may go to the US or Europe where they drive on t'other side.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
13 years ago
We are the sellers at the auction...the car was owned by a relation of ours who had the car bought for her by her parents in 1955....she used this car till 1987 on a regular basis till her husband died in 1987....she had the car mot'd till 1991 as indicated on auction website...the car is truly original....look forward to Saturday when this exceptional car is going to go
55Kab
13 years ago

I must admit that I'm not to fussed about RHD either, it's interesting but doesn't go further than that (unless its a RHD split). I've had a couple of LHD cars and although they can be a bit of a pain in car parks and toll booths, other than that they're easy to get along with.

pre67vw wrote:

Funny how thing's change...

...back in the day (mid-late 80's) a LHD early VW was viewed in the same way a LHD version of a modern car is today, an oddity, which because of this and the types of things you mention above meant they were generally cheaper than the equivilant UK car.

I'm convinced all the 'LHD doesn't matter to me' talk is purely down to the lack of supply of UK cars. As we all know, during the last 20 years the supply of UK RHD early cars has really dried up and therefore people HAD to accept LHD due to them wanting to enter the "scene" with their preferred type of vehicle.

Like I said above, we live in England and drive RHD cars on the LH side of the road and if you don't think RHD should command a premium because of this fact, take a look at the RHD v LHD prices of 356 and 911 Poker's together with Jaguar XK120/150's. Those guys get it. There is a big difference between a car with UK provenance sold in "our" market as opposed to a LHD one that's been imported just so someone can say they own that model and couldn't find (or afford?!) a UK supplied version.

Ivan - if you're reading this, it would be a good subject for Mike. I'd like to read his views on it! :wink:

55Kab
13 years ago

We are the sellers at the auction...the car was owned by a relation of ours who had the car bought for her by her parents in 1955....she used this car till 1987 on a regular basis till her husband died in 1987....she had the car mot'd till 1991 as indicated on auction website...the car is truly original....look forward to Saturday when this exceptional car is going to go

DOUGLASCROWE5616 wrote:

Very interesting, thank you for posting.

Out of interest, do you have a guide price?

In fact, to everyone else, what do we think this beauty is worth?

JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

Funny how thing's change...

...back in the day (mid-late 80's) a LHD early VW was viewed in the same way a LHD version of a modern car is today, an oddity, which because of this and the types of things you mention above meant they were generally cheaper than the equivilant UK car.

I'm convinced all the 'LHD doesn't matter to me' talk is purely down to the lack of supply of UK cars. As we all know, during the last 20 years the supply of UK RHD early cars has really dried up and therefore people HAD to accept LHD due to them wanting to enter the "scene" with their preferred type of vehicle.

Like I said above, we live in England and drive RHD cars on the LH side of the road and if you don't think RHD should command a premium because of this fact, take a look at the RHD v LHD prices of 356 and 911 Poker's together with Jaguar XK120/150's. Those guys get it. There a big difference between a car with UK provenance sold in "our" market as opposed to a LHD one that's been imported just so someone can say they own that model and couldn't find (or afford?!) a UK supplied version.

55Kab wrote:

Thats all true, but - what I think Rob meant and what I also think is that it´s better to have a solid original LHD car than a welded to death RHD car (except possibly in your case, where you can be certain that it´s been done right).

The other thing is that it makes very little odds which side of the car you are on when it´s as narrow as a Beetle. A 59 Cadillac is a different story...
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
pre67vw
13 years ago

I'm convinced all the 'LHD doesn't matter to me' talk is purely down to the lack of supply of UK cars.

55Kab wrote:

My first LHD car I got because it was dirt cheap and I was a student, my next was a huge American car where RHD wasn't an option. I quite like LHD cars because they do feel like I'm driving something different, it adds to the experience. But I'd go for solid and original over which side the steering wheel is.. :beer:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW