13 years ago
Not at all sure of the value...auction house has suggested a reserve but not sure if they are in the right area....would appreciate some feedback from members as to what a car of this sort might go for
55Kab
13 years ago

Not at all sure of the value...auction house has suggested a reserve but not sure if they are in the right area....would appreciate some feedback from members as to what a car of this sort might go for

DOUGLASCROWE5616 wrote:

PM sent. :wink:

mrsherbie
13 years ago
I agree with Rob completely.
I dont care lhd or rhd, but I prefer to own a car that I know has not been driven through salt ideally.
We have both left and right handed old cars and at the end of the day I do simply prefer the ones with the least rust.
If you want to buy a rusty early rhd car over a comparable better condition leftie for less money, then thats your choice. ( albeit it a foolish one in my view :lol:)
Rustfree rhd cars are of course a different game, but come on lets be totally honest HOW MANY UNWELDED PRE-55's are there actually out there???!! 😳 :lol: )
So yes I would value this 'possible handful of cars' as worth more in the uk market.
But you try selling a rhd to any european! (they wont be interested :wink: )

I am not interested in all that survivor claptrap (Aside from RT of course who would be just plain interesting and fun to own from an argumentative perspective! :lol: )
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Sunroof53
13 years ago
Personally if i was looking for a car (havnt done in years)i would have no problem converting a rust free lhd to rhd unless it was a true collectors car of course.
mrsherbie
13 years ago

Personally if i was looking for a car (havnt done in years)i would have no problem converting a rust free lhd to rhd

Sunroof53 wrote:

This is something that I have never understood though. I have seen so many late kabs recently converted and it has just damaged their core value permanently, and ironically something that their owners seem oblivious too :? I think it is a shame to do it to any car.

Sunroof53
13 years ago

This is something that I have never understood though. I have seen so many late kabs recently converted and it has just damaged their core value permanently.

mrsherbie wrote:

Yes, i can understand that if its done badly it can compromise the value as can any kind of work .Its a very idividual thing as some people may think that a converted car is a bonus especially as solid LHD cars appear more plentyful in the UK.
For me it would really depend on the car,I have always fancied a small window 60s sunroof car and would happily convert a rust free import because i know i could do it well.However ,i would not buy one that had been converted badly .
tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

PM sent. :wink:

55Kab wrote:

I think I'm being coerced into popping over Saturday to have a look at this car! :lol:

I'm trying (struggling) to establish in my mind a starting figure of what it's worth with a view to adjusting +/- when/if I've had a good look in person. I'm not planning on buying to sell or any of that malarky but I'd like to somehow establish the FMV. :?:
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
mrsherbie
13 years ago

but I'd like to somehow establish the FMV. :?:

tman wrote:

Ooh I can feel the tension of a few people also thinking "I wonder who is going to start the 'bet on the winning price' game"
:lol:

55Kab
13 years ago

I am not interested in all that survivor claptrap

mrsherbie wrote:

Why? It plays a part. Forget the rust issue, if you came across an unrestored RHD 53 Oval Cabriolet (rusty or not) it most definately is a survivor. Based on the numbers of known car's that have "survived" from that period.

55Kab
13 years ago

I have seen so many late kabs recently converted and it has just damaged their core value permanently

mrsherbie wrote:

Yep but who cares...late Kabs are ten a penny and have no character... :wink: :beer:

55Kab
13 years ago

Ooh I can feel the tension of a few people also thinking "I wonder who is going to start the 'bet on the winning price' game"
:lol:

mrsherbie wrote:

So come on then, is there anyone on here that's going to have a crack at it? Put your hands up and be counted :!:

tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
I'm a definite 'maybe' Martin, I think you've already said you will be taking a punt?
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
Rich Oakley
13 years ago

So come on then, is there anyone on here that's going to have a crack at it? Put your hands up and be counted :!:

55Kab wrote:

I couldn't possibly say :wink: (I wish I could bid on it, but not going to due to too many cars).

47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Caledfryn
13 years ago

I agree with Rob completely.
HOW MANY UNWELDED PRE-55's are there actually out there???!! 😳 :lol: )
So yes I would value this 'possible handful of cars' as worth more in the uk market.
But you try selling a rhd to any european! (they wont be interested :wink: )

mrsherbie wrote:

Oh there are one or two about ...:lol: :wink:

I agree with you Anna that I would rather have an unwelded original LHD over a 'restored' RHD any day - especially if that resto involved pattern parts etc.

That said, original condition early-RHD drive cars are rare beasts and maybe should command a bit of a premium?

Discuss .... lol
13 years ago
Just incase there was any query from my previous postings...the car is difinitely 100% going through the auction tomorrow 14/08/10 at NIGEL WARD in Pontrilas in Herefordshire
cupa65
13 years ago
Hi

The thing is, the market for RHD cars is smaller than for LHD cars. Particularly when the £ vs Euro is weak. This means if you've got a LHD car for sale there's the potential of all Europe etc. Plus if you are a stickler for original Cal Look cars they were alll LHD.

However when it comes to 356's there's so few RHD cars available that LHD cars enables more people to have the experience of ownership.

Where would everyone be if it was a rare LHD Heb? :?
54 Gertie
13 years ago
Right, have having a little look into this car and have found a few oddities where numbers are concerned.

From the original sales invoice:

Chassis number: 1-0885989

Engine number: 1-1068559

Date of sale, and first registration: 19/07/1955

I have put all the chassis and engine numbers from Progressive Refinements into Excel to enable me to estimate the age of engines and chassis' to within a few days, it predicted my parents oval to within four days of the build date on the birth certificate. From this I got...

Chassis built: 12th April 1955

Engine built: 22nd May 1955

These are over a month apart? Would this have happened? Again, on my parents March '55 oval the engine was made only about four days before the chassis, this seems way off.

Going by how long from when the chassis was made until it was first registered, I guess it must have been a demonstrator or sat on the forecourt for a few weeks.

Any ideas as to why the engine, shown on the original sales invoice would be seemingly too late for the car? It is the same engine as now, the number matches as on the photos.

Clearly the same engine now...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
William
Rich Oakley
13 years ago

Right, have having a little look into this car and have found a few oddities where numbers are concerned.

From the original sales invoice:

Chassis number: 1-0885989

Engine number: 1-1068559

Date of sale, and first registration: 19/07/1955

I have put all the chassis and engine numbers from Progressive Refinements into Excel to enable me to estimate the age of engines and chassis' to within a few days, it predicted my parents oval to within four days of the build date on the birth certificate. From this I got...

Chassis built: 12th April 1955

Engine built: 22nd May 1955

These are over a month apart? Would this have happened? Again, on my parents March '55 oval the engine was made only about four days before the chassis, this seems way off.

Going by how long from when the chassis was made until it was first registered, I guess it must have been a demonstrator or sat on the forecourt for a few weeks.

Any ideas as to why the engine, shown on the original sales invoice would be seemingly too late for the car? It is the same engine as now, the number matches as on the photos.

Clearly the same engine now...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

54 Gertie wrote:

That is a little odd with those dates being so far apart. However, I wouldn't worry. If the car's numbers match on the sales invoice, then it's a matching numbers car.

Look forward to hearing from you later on. You can always give me a call later on after you've inspected it if you need a second opinion on anything! Good luck!
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
w7cal
13 years ago
Sold for £9,500.
55Kab
13 years ago

Sold for £9,500.

w7cal wrote:

To.....anyone we know?