gybemaster
13 years ago
On my 56 Oval I have discovered that when making my pedal adjustments that the rigid brake line running to the rear of the car looks rather wrong in terms of its position. Can someone show me where it should be routed up by the driver footwell in a RHD Bug for this era? Heres a couple of pics of the dodgy line locating:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
55Kab
13 years ago
The pipe routing should follow a smoother curve out from the tunnel and run under the spring, in between the 2 bolt positions.

Mike Peckham
13 years ago
Rob, can you delete this post please? I was trying to upload photos and couldn't get them small enough. Managed it for the post below though.

Mike
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
Mike Peckham
13 years ago
Here are a couple of pictures of mine, hopefully they'll help:  IMG_1984.gif You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_1985.gif You have insufficient rights to see the content.
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
mrsherbie
13 years ago
I took one today too! this is a scrappy lhd 55 pan (body off) (and NO its not the pan in my car in my avatar! :omg: )

You can see pipe takes same route as Mikes but just lhd v rhd.

UserPostedImage
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
gybemaster
13 years ago
Cheers chaps, I can go about rectifying my mess now as I can't snug the clutch pedal stop plate down properly until I re-route that brake line.
vwJim
12 years ago
Cool, this has answered one of the queries on my build. Cheers.
vwJim
12 years ago
Can I ask what the left hand pair of bolts are holding down?

The right hand pair match up with the right most mounting bracket on the pedal cluster but I don't have anything that is obviously secured using the left hand pair?

And what's the piece of lighter coloured steel what looks like its coming from under the right hand bracket for?

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

thanks
Mike Peckham
12 years ago
Those are the stops that regulate the position of the brake and clutch pedals. Looking at the position of your pedals, the clutch stop plate at least is waaaay out of adjustment…

You need to loosen the bolts enough to allow the plate to move, then get the clutch pedal into a near upright position, it should be more or less on a level with the brake pedal (assuming that is properly positioned), then you push the stop plate back up against the toe on the clutch pedal and retighten the bolts.

You may well need to adjust the clutch cable as well once you have got your pedal properly positioned. If you have to adjust the stop plate for the brake pedal, it is essential you check the adjustment of the brake master cylinder push rod too.

Hope that helps.

Mike

vwJim
12 years ago
Thanks. Guess there's some parts missing then as the owner has just given me the pedal cluster and nothing else relating to that area.