AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
Some one will tell you on here. People are using some high output ones and i am sure that some of the posters on here are using them :d . Have you got some fresh photos of the car in your ownership ?????? Welcome to the site.

Andy W
harveypj
11 years ago
Hi Rod, welcome and congrats on your car purchase, looks/sounds like a good one.
I think I have the type of battery Andy is on about. It is a high capacity 70+amp/hrs, its a German brand 'Banner', I got it from Barclay at 'Status VW' It is a 3 cell unit, in a black rubbery casing so is spot on period correct, the original metal batery cover even fits on.

Pete
Stock......the new custom
rod
11 years ago
Thanks guys, will give Status a call. I will try uploading some photos.
UserPostedImage[/img]
rod
11 years ago
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
rod
Fernando Pal
11 years ago
:omg: :omg: :omg: :thumbup: :thumbup: is beautiful
FP
11 sedan de luxe oval
6/1955
early bay camper 4/1971
Jollychuffy
11 years ago
Afternoon Rod : just noticed your battery info request. I've been out of the battery business for a long while so I too am unsure about 6-volt Bosch items. I worked for an agent stocking LINCON batteries for many years and indeed have one of theirs on my 1956 . It might be worth looking at their website (They're based in Leigh-On-Sea) and comparing specifications. When arriving in Ramsgate in 1956, beetles were fitted with mainly EXIDE batteries . My uncle who bought the car new always said the first thing to go wrong was the English battery which only lasted eight years !! Lincon's type 501 88 amp/hr capacity matches the dimensions of the original item exactly. Later 6 volt beetles were fitted with a type 404 (nominally 71 amp'hr capacity). The simplest guide to what was fitted originally is provided by the size of the metal lid and retaining strap. Try not to be tempted by the MBG six-volt type : though similar in capacity, they were known to foul the underside of the rear seat when ample-reared aunts were being taken out shopping ! There's nothing mysterious about higher capacity fitment. Liken it to venturing into the desert with a large tank of water as opposed to a small one. Basically The spec stating ampere hour capacity is an indication of the amps available over a stated period, eg my ovals sidelights draw about 4 amps ( bulbs totalling approximately 24 watts divided by six volts equals 4 amps ) so in theory my 88 amp battery would last 22 hours ( 4 amps for 22 hours equals 88 amp/hrs ). Unless you intend drag racing your car, I'd opt for the largest capacity six volt that space allows. It is worth remembering that staying six volt means cables carry higher amperage than an equal wattage load would impose on a twelve volt circuit so never be tempted to run thinner cables when replacing or adding to beetle looms. Hope this helps !
Rich Oakley
11 years ago

Afternoon Rod : just noticed your battery info request. I've been out of the battery business for a long while so I too am unsure about 6-volt Bosch items. I worked for an agent stocking LINCON batteries for many years and indeed have one of theirs on my 1956 . It might be worth looking at their website (They're based in Leigh-On-Sea) and comparing specifications. When arriving in Ramsgate in 1956, beetles were fitted with mainly EXIDE batteries . My uncle who bought the car new always said the first thing to go wrong was the English battery which only lasted eight years !! Lincon's type 501 88 amp/hr capacity matches the dimensions of the original item exactly. Later 6 volt beetles were fitted with a type 404 (nominally 71 amp'hr capacity). The simplest guide to what was fitted originally is provided by the size of the metal lid and retaining strap. Try not to be tempted by the MBG six-volt type : though similar in capacity, they were known to foul the underside of the rear seat when ample-reared aunts were being taken out shopping ! There's nothing mysterious about higher capacity fitment. Liken it to venturing into the desert with a large tank of water as opposed to a small one. Basically The spec stating ampere hour capacity is an indication of the amps available over a stated period, eg my ovals sidelights draw about 4 amps ( bulbs totalling approximately 24 watts divided by six volts equals 4 amps ) so in theory my 88 amp battery would last 22 hours ( 4 amps for 22 hours equals 88 amp/hrs ). Unless you intend drag racing your car, I'd opt for the largest capacity six volt that space allows. It is worth remembering that staying six volt means cables carry higher amperage than an equal wattage load would impose on a twelve volt circuit so never be tempted to run thinner cables when replacing or adding to beetle looms. Hope this helps !

Jollychuffy wrote:

Fantastic post Jollychuffy :)

Great car too.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
pre67vw
11 years ago

I have done about 500 miles in it around the Cambridgeshire countryside

rod wrote:

Thats my neck of the woods, maybe I'll see it around! :thumbup:

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Lost64
11 years ago
Hi Rod,

That's a nice looking car you've bought, congratulations!

In answer to your query regarding batteries, I bought a 'Lincoln' 6-volt unit with the hard rubber casing from Lincoln Batteries in Leigh-on-Sea a few months ago. This is the same firm as 'Jollychuffy mentions in his post. Their service was excellent, the battery arriving the next day, securly packaged, and with concise instructions on how to set it up, as well as extra acid. They were also cheaper than anyone else I tried!

Hope this helps,

Gavin.

rod
11 years ago
Thank you Jollychuffy, I have just leaned more about batteries than I ever thought I needed to know! I will give them a call.
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
lovely car in one of the nicest colours, what did it go for in the end?
wolfsburgvw
11 years ago
Cool Splitty
11 years ago
wow luverly patina.
U cant paint that car:beer:
Cool Splitty. Reel Kool and called Peter.
Old Blue
11 years ago
The seller wanted £8k for the car I understand. So the new owner has a good deal with such an original RHD early oval.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
Cool Splitty
11 years ago

wow luverly patina.
U cant paint that car:beer:

Cool Splitty wrote:

Jus noticed dents in midle of roof:(
can these be got out wivout loosin org paint n headliner:?:
rod
11 years ago

Jus noticed dents in midle of roof:(
can these be got out wivout loosin org paint n headliner:?:

Cool Splitty wrote:

I have no intention of painting it at the moment. I agree it is a shame about the dents but they are not too bad. It is an unrestored car and has imperfections throughout, but I like that. Apparently it was parked up in a garage from the late 60s/early 70s and the guys kids used to play in and on it. The small dents on the roof are from where they sat on it! I don't know too much of the cars history. I have written to the 'original' owner but no reply. It turns out that he was not the original owner but bought the car in 1958. It had originally been bought in July 1954 by a lady and then sold by Ride & Clarke, Stockwell Road, London in 1958. I was told that it had the original engine but this turns out not to be the case. The original engine number is 1-0798765 but the engine currently is 1-0636490. Darren told me that he thought it was the original engine and the gentleman he bought it off said that he had not changed it. Perhaps this is why the original lady sold it?
Cool Splitty
11 years ago
how ofton it is that cars r advertist as a certan thing. 1 owner all org then u find out its not, ofton after uve got it:thumbdn:
was the guy a car deeler?
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
As for the roof dints Rod its a long shot but if you get it in hot sunlight so the car is very hot (you know when you get hold of the stearing wheel and shout Ouch)Press from the inside and she might just spring out. Thats if we ever get a summer again :omg: It may or maynot work but you havent lost anything.

Andy W
Cool Splitty
11 years ago

As for the roof dints Rod its a long shot but if you get it in hot sunlight so the car is very hot (you know when you get hold of the stearing wheel and shout Ouch)Press from the inside and she might just spring out. Thats if we ever get a summer again :omg: It may or maynot work but you havent lost anything.
Andy W

AW wrote:

think it needto be a lotter hot than that! Lots of small dents n creases I can see.Go to a steal works n see how hot metal is to shape.
rekon its hedliner out job wiv hamers n dollys.Even the youd have to smoov out to finsh wiv filler then a paint job onroof n bye to org paint. shame:thumbdn:

Dayley use damage ov dents in wings or doors on a org paint bug like this look the part.Dents in roof are delibrate damge or abuse
Spoils it