AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
11 years ago
It getting closer to the date but dose any one know how its going to work? Other Exempt vehicals you have to fill in a form a v112 i think to show the post office when you tax the vehicle. Do owners need to fill this in or is there another form to be filled out or is VOSA going to send all pre 60s vehicles some sort of document???????

Andy W
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
lifeintheslowlane
11 years ago
As they say on QI..."Nobody Knows!!"

I don't know if Robin Allen is reading this...if you are Robin, any news?
John.
AW
  • AW
11 years ago
Talking to a friend who ownes and sells classic cars and he phoned the DVLA last week about the situation one mot Exemption registration and guess whet thay dont know :omg:

Andy W
Cool Splitty
11 years ago
cars b4 1960 xempt from mot test whatever their orignalty.

cars over 30 yrs 2b xempt only if they ar orignal spec.
if moded they can stil b used on the road but stil have to have a mot test. SIMPLES

Free tax disc only for b4 1973 stays same

My mates a mot tester he now has this info so forget other silly posts here an on other threds on this site:p
Cool Splitty. Reel Kool and called Peter.
lifeintheslowlane
11 years ago
So it's November and there's no dancing in the street. Anyone tried renewing their Road Tax online?

https://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/Special%20Notice%205-12.pdf 

From that linked document here's what is said:

Item 3: Pre 1960 Exemption From MOT
From 18 November 2012 classic and historic vehicles, those manufactured before 1 January 1960, will be exempted from the MOT test.
Classic and historic vehicles are often very well maintained by their owners and have a much lower accident and MOT failure rate than newer vehicles. The current requirement to undergo an MOT test goes over and above the obligations set out in European legislation. Following a public consultation which showed high levels of support for the proposals, vehicles manufactured before 1960 will be exempted from the MOT test from 18th November 2012 reducing costs for owners.
Owners of affected vehicles will still be able to take exempt vehicles for an MOT test on a voluntary basis.
If you are presented with any of these vehicles you should continue to conduct the test as for any other vehicle and apply the appropriate pass/fail criteria as set out in the Inspection Manuals.

John.
AW
  • AW
11 years ago
Up to now i have form V112 that was given to me by the post office to fill in but i am hanging back from sending it off as this is the form for the vehicles that dont need MOTs already. just waiting to see what happens on the 18th as who ever i ask in aurthoraty i get a different answer to the question 😶 I asked a tester and as with the volantary test i was told that he couldnot issue a test cert as it will be exempt from the system !!!!! I wonder if this has now changed?

Andy W
lifeintheslowlane
11 years ago

Up to now i have form V112 that was given to me by the post office to fill in but i am hanging back from sending it off as this is the form for the vehicles that dont need MOTs already. just waiting to see what happens on the 18th as who ever i ask in aurthoraty i get a different answer to the question 😶 I asked a tester and as with the volantary test i was told that he could not issue a test cert as it will be exempt from the system !!!!! I wonder if this has now changed?

Andy W

AW wrote:

I think if that were intended to cover all pre 1960 vehicles they would have replaced that form with an updated version. Nowhere does it mention pre 1960.

If you renew your tax online it will automatically know the year of manufacture and just check for relevant insurance cover, just as it does with a car that's less than 3 years old.
John.
AW
  • AW
11 years ago
Good point John about the auto system when doing it on line its just seems that the post offices have been left in the dark on how it is all going to work 😮 Good luck and let us all know how it turns out. On a different tack i read on a fourm about insurence if it is to be belived some one asked Lancaster about a pre 60 car and thay told him £75 with a test £2000 without one :omg: Any one asked the question with there insures.

Andy W
lifeintheslowlane
11 years ago

Good point John about the auto system when doing it on line its just seems that the post offices have been left in the dark on how it is all going to work 😮 Good luck and let us all know how it turns out. On a different tack i read on a fourm about insurence if it is to be belived some one asked Lancaster about a pre 60 car and thay told him £75 with a test £2000 without one :omg: Any one asked the question with there insures.
Andy W

AW wrote:

I think that would be illegal to discriminate against a car that meets all the legal UK requirements; in reality it's probably BS. Especially as the exemption ruling states one of the reason for the exemption is: "Classic and historic vehicles are often very well maintained by their owners and have a much lower accident and MOT failure rate than newer vehicles." So what's their statistical reasoning for a heavy insurance loading. The Insurance ombudsman would knock than on the head pretty quickly.

Anyway Insurance is a very competitive business, just shopping around you'd soon find a company who didn't impose a loading.
John.
six-o-one
11 years ago
I've just spoken to someone at Footman James Insurance. No plans to offer any sort of discount for vehicles with a voluntary MOT and in the event of an accident, an insurance assessor can decide if a vehicle is unroadworthy regardless of having an MOT so, they don't see much changing. - they just wont pay out!
AW
  • AW
11 years ago
Thay wont Pay out ------- Nothing changed there then.

Andy W
billy739
11 years ago
you just need to fill in the mot expemtion form
presumable each year!

online they know so you just eamil with the reg and they send you a taxdisc i presume!

there was a post up on a landrover forum , offcial letter from DVLA or VOSA but as usual i cant find it now!
pipvan
11 years ago
Any updates guys, I have just renewed my insurance today and price is down 20 quid from last year and they did not mention anything about it changing because it was pre 60. My mot runs out in 2 weeks but I taxed it last week. I'm just going to re mot ad continue as normal, as at least with an mot cert it's just a bit more proof of mileage and so on so for. But would still be nice to know officially what the crack is. As if I miss getting it to the garage until the day after my Mot runs out and I get pulled over by the police, how would it stand ????
57 Oval
62 Bug
65 Split
lifeintheslowlane
11 years ago

Any updates guys, I have just renewed my insurance today and price is down 20 quid from last year and they did not mention anything about it changing because it was pre 60. My mot runs out in 2 weeks but I taxed it last week. I'm just going to re mot ad continue as normal, as at least with an mot cert it's just a bit more proof of mileage and so on so for. But would still be nice to know officially what the crack is. As if I miss getting it to the garage until the day after my Mot runs out and I get pulled over by the police, how would it stand ????

pipvan wrote:

Well according to the government website linked in one of my previous posts an MOT certificate will not be required on pre '60 vehicles from midnight tonight. The chances of being pulled over by the police in 2 weeks time is pretty well zero.
John.
AW
  • AW
11 years ago
As far as i have got is just go down to the post office with your insurance and log book and its all on the computer listings :shock: Who will be the first to try it at there local tax office. 😎

Andy W
GKL 7
11 years ago
Just go on-line,no need to go anywhere.
lifeintheslowlane
11 years ago

Just go on-line,no need to go anywhere.

GKL 7 wrote:

Yep I can't remember when I last renewed my car tax at a Post Office...total waste of time.

John.
AW
  • AW
11 years ago
Strongly disagree with it being a total waist of time. I like to use the local post Office. As thay tell us use it or Loose it.

Andy W
11 years ago
I've taxed two ovals today - online.

Neither have an MOT.

:D
www.vwoval.co.uk
lifeintheslowlane
11 years ago

Strongly disagree with it being a total waist of time. I like to use the local post Office. As thay tell us use it or Loose it.

Andy W

AW wrote:

I didn't say don't use your Post Office...I'm just talking about Car Tax. I'm very well known at my local Post Office; I'm there several times a week. Two packages on Friday...one to the U.S. and one to Canada.
John.