overrestored
17 years ago
I think it went to hymanltd.com

I saw it there a couple of days ago... no photos yet... I called and the price is 75k. Restored by a Porsche speedster guy? Would that be you Bruce? There was no other info. It is no longer listed on their site today though.

protect me from what I want
pre67vw
17 years ago
from $40k to $75k ?? :roll:

what have they done to it to add $35k of value?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Bert53
17 years ago

from $40k to $75k ?? :roll:

what have they done to it to add $35k of value?

"pre67vw" wrote:

Turtle Wax is quite expensive :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tina
17 years ago

Gilles... I am thinking it is a very late Beeskow... there are a few little differences... I am thinking it is a 57.

Heres a picture of another Rometsch that needs some restoration work...

Eric

"overrestored" wrote:

is this the one offered for 7500 ?????

Tina Shark
Strange people, strange cars, US Ghost Towns (Ruby and Bodie)
Robinson 22 and 44, Pappelen u. Jelände 911er
vwmadeinireland
17 years ago

is this the one offered for 7500 ?????

Tina Shark

Yes it is Tina.
Tina
17 years ago
so GREAT pics !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
kdf38
17 years ago
And a Very Generous Offer, it is Sir...

Wow, incredible! tell him I'll give him $6000 for it, thats a swift $500 profit :wink:

"pre67vw" wrote:

Mike
Texas
Nov. 1947 +
Febr 1949 shell
pre67vw
17 years ago
Hi Mike,

Is it yours?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Tina
17 years ago
it seems they grow like mushrooms....................................................
kdf38
17 years ago
NO, sorry, not mine.
I think I saw one in a junk yard once and LEFT IT there.

Hi Mike, Is it yours?

"pre67vw" wrote:

Mike
Texas
Nov. 1947 +
Febr 1949 shell
kdf38
17 years ago
From the looks of the UNRestored ones, they probably GROW mushrooms.

it seems they grow like mushrooms..................

"Tina" wrote:

Mike
Texas
Nov. 1947 +
Febr 1949 shell
Tina
17 years ago
there will come out some more next time
oldbug.com
17 years ago
The story of this car was pretty cool...at least to me. So I'll share what I know.

One day last June I get a call from a fellow VW nut in the Philadelphia area who has stumbled onto a Rometsch that was doe to come up for auction in a sale of the business assets of an old repair shop in the nasty part of town. He didnt have the money to go after it but was willing to help so I basically worked with him so that when the auction came up that he would have my backing to buy the car at whatever cost it went to. It didnt seem that there was going to be any problem with getting it cheap.

Then the day before the auction my partner out there went by the garage to check on the car and it was gone. He called me right away and I spent the next couple hours on the phone with he auction company as well as the garage to find out where the heck it went. All that I could get out of them was that it was sold before the auction...I questioned weather that was legal and such but what was done was done. I asked the owner of the auction company to forward my contact info to the buyer in hopes that I could aquire the car from him. I was pretty gutted.

Anyway, the day before the VW Classic, at the toy and literature show my phone rings and it is a friend of mine from here in California. He sounded a little strange over the phone so I asked him what was up. He said he was on a trip in Pennsylvania and was visiting a buddy. His buddy went off to get some beers and while he was out my friend saw a note with my name and number on it and he couldnt figure out how it got there. I figured it out pretty quick and asked him if his buddy happened to buy a Rometsch recently...he responded that he was staring at one in the guys garage right then and there. In any case when his buddy returned he urged him to call me to at least chat about it.

So I talked to the guy and he said that he had been after the car for many years. The owner of the garage would never sell it, but he kept up on him and when he caught wind of the place going out of business he hit the owner up pretty hard and talked him out of it a day before it was due to go up or auction. He did get it pretty cheap and I offerred to give him a healthy profit. He said he already had someone interested in it in the low $30's. That kinda shocked me, so I told him to go for it. I never heard from him again so I can only assume that he sold it, probably to the buyer who offerred him the big money for it.

So it was the one that got away. :cry:

The wild part of the story that I dont know is how it ended up in a garage in the nastiest part of the ghetto in Philly in the first place...it truly was in hell.

Hopefully it will pop up one day all restored and pretty.

I shared the story with some friends at the Classic...one of which who said that he had just discovered one himself up in Northern California!

They are still out there I guess...never give up hope!