backrhoads
19 years ago
Help! This is my first bug and I am having problems keeping my engine running. It turns over and fires but it won't stay running without constantly pressing the acelerator. It idles rough and sometimes backfires. I just replaced the valve springs and I suspect the valve adjustment might me off. I'm thinking timing is a big part of it too, but I've moved the distributor all around and doesn't seem to help. Could something be wrong with the fuel system? Any help would be greatly appreciated. --'63 beetle, 1600 dual port, carbureted.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Moby5153
19 years ago
Re-checking the valve clearances and setting the timing with a strobe would be the obvious things to do first before you cause more damage. The stalling could be one of many things but if you've covered all the routine service items as per your manual, try cleaning the idle jets in the carb and checking that the idle cut-off jet on the left of the carb is working correctly. Check the wire going to it is live with ignition and that the plunger fully retracts when you switch it on. Also check for air leaks on your inlet manifold where it joins the heads and at the rubber boots either side, where the manifold splits. Spraying WD40 on those joints will usually pick up leaks by changing the note/speed of the engine. There are a few other possible causes but you've got to start somewhere.