Last Triumph
15 years ago
My search for a nice Oval continues and I was just wondering how many people on here have either lhd or rhd?
I'm personally not that bothered but was just wondering what the opinion of LHD was in these circles?

I appreciate it's always nice to have RHD in the UK, but with them being much rarer in a rust free condition, I trust LHD cars aren't treated like lepers?
I can supply...
25/36hp Crank-Flywheel shims - 3 sizes
NOS king pin thrust & fibre washers - all sizes
Cloth braided nitrile fuel hose safe for modern fuels
PM me for details...
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Judson53
15 years ago
Hi,i spoke to u on the phone the other week about a oval from oz!i personaly hate LHD weather its a bus or a beetle,so my oval and splity are RHD

Have you managed to find any thing yet?
lifeintheslowlane
15 years ago
I had a RHD '59 Beetle for 10 years and now have a '58 Lowlight Karmann Ghia (they only came as LHD anyway) and a LHD '63 Splitty.

RHD fine, LHD no problem either. It is a matter of personal preference and some people I know have a problem getting their head around the switch...I know one who won't drive a hire car on holiday when in mainland Europe.:shock:

If you think a LHD VW in the UK would be worth less than a RHD...I don't think so. Basically most Vintage VW fans will be looking for quality and originality and to most LHD/RHD is low on their list.

I've driven my LHD Ghia most days over the last few weeks...it doesn't even register with me I'm on the left hand side of the car. They're great to drive whatever side.
John.
GKL 7
15 years ago

i personaly hate LHD weather its a bus or a beetle

Judson53 wrote:

Why is that:?:
Last Triumph
15 years ago

Hi,i spoke to u on the phone the other week about a oval from oz!i personaly hate LHD weather its a bus or a beetle,so my oval and splity are RHD

Have you managed to find any thing yet?

Judson53 wrote:

Hi. Still looking but have one particular car in my sights, subject to a more thorough inspection. It's LHD.
My preference is for originality in my cars and whilst I apreciate everyone's taste is different, I'm not a huge fan of excessive lowering / narrowing, expecially of rare and unmolestered cars.

This particular forum seems to host people of similar taste, and when I finally find my ideal car, I'd like to think that would be welcomed and appreciated if it was a LHD.

I've driven lots of American cars over here so it doesn't bother me from a driving perspective, as it would get so little use anyway. On the basis that I could wait forever for the right RHD car to come along, and even if it did, I would likely not be able to afford it anyway, it seems that the choice of LHD cars from America and Sweden is far greater.

I don't mind none original engines as long as they are type correct, as I know many will have either expired or be beyond line boring etc, but I do want a car that is virginal, un welded, un crashed, and will correct parts. Most importantly, it must be solid and not full of holes which sadly rules out many of the RHD cars.

I look forward to sharing with you all whatever it is that turns up...
I can supply...
PM me for details...
15 years ago
I've Got 2 LHD and 1 RHD Oval... the LHD cars are in better condition...

And when it comes to driving them... remember that they were designed as LHD ... RHD was an after thought :lol:

I've also got a LHD 65 Cabrio, a LHD 69 Bay and a RHD 64 Bug, a RHD Trekker, a RHD 67 Splitty and RHD 70 Bay...

They are all fun to drive... Buy it cos its the right car... not because of where the steering wheel is!!!

www.vwoval.co.uk
harveypj
15 years ago

I've Got 2 LHD and 1 RHD Oval...

I've also got a LHD 65 Cabrio, a LHD 69 Bay and a RHD 64 Bug, a RHD Trekker, a RHD 67 Splitty and RHD 70 Bay...

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

Greedy pig
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Stock......the new custom
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

Why is that:?:

'50 Karmann wrote:

Yeah! What George said. How much difference does it make, sitting about two and a half feet further across the car?
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Last Triumph
15 years ago
Thanks for your replies - that's pretty much how I see it too. There is always the fact that if and when you come to sell a LHD car, you have a much larger market to sell into with the internet shrinking the world as it has done in recent years.

On another point, how inportant is having the original engine block? Obviously it's nice, but once they are beyong line boring, I guess they're scrap no matter how hard you try. Are type correct but non og motors a regular thing?
I can supply...
PM me for details...
lifeintheslowlane
15 years ago

Are type correct but non og motors a regular thing?

Last Triumph wrote:

The norm rather than the exception...sadly.
John.
mrsherbie
15 years ago

I've Got 2 LHD and 1 RHD Oval... the LHD cars are in better condition...

They are all fun to drive... Buy it cos its the right car... not because of where the steering wheel is!!!

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

Julian's words are perfect for me too! :d

We have both. At the end of the day for myself, I will buy the car with the least rust, nothing more.
I dont want all the work, or equally to end up with a car with completely replaced quarters, floor pans or channels under any circumstances, it would have to be a really special or rare model or a sunroof or Kab for me to accept any of these 3 factors. Intensive repairs needed to these areas are fine, I just dont want to find whole brazil panels already welded in up to the waistline!

Actually I am hunting for a new (modern) daily car at the moment and really would like a lhd over rhd ( but I cant find one) as I love driving lhd and changing gear with my right hand, being right handed, it has always seemed far more natural to me.

Only my own personal view, but I think lhd snobbery is usually only down to either lack of knowledge/experience of 50's vws OR people who have a wife or partner who refuses to drive a lhd car! :lol:
This ALSO seems to be a VERY common reason, and always the unwilling partner is a WOMAN! Oh no! :oops: 😳 but I can only put this down to lack of driving confidence or knowledge/experience of the woman again.

But the rhd/lhd thing really is just personal choice in the end.

It makes me wince to see wanted ads for splitscreen vans posted by people who state they ONLY want rhd, yet it is their first vw let alone splitbus! :shock: Disaster looming! They have no idea just how crusty and rusty UK rhd vans are! I worry for them!

I have never received any lhd snobbery myself over my vws. But funnily enough, now I have to laugh when I see split beetles in the uk that have been converted to rhd as it is funny that they are so obviously wrong! It just de-values the car!
So now I am being a lhd snob :lol:

I would say also that once you have been to a H.O. or Camberg or similar vintage stock meeting and seen that ALL the early and rare cars, for example ALL 40's VWs ARE ONLY LHD!!

Most people change their minds about only liking rhd and decide they want a lovely leftie too :wink: :d
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Ovalbug
15 years ago
I agree that condition of any car should far outweigh whether it is rhd or lhd, would much rather a rust-free lhd than a crusty rhd for the same money.........
Having said that though, my preference is for rhd and that is based purely on the fact that I wouldn't feel safe with an old and slow lhd VW on todays roads, particularly as many of them have quite poor rearwards visibility.
No doubt you are all now going to roast me alive for saying this , but I find these days there is more snobbery from 'lefties' saying that rhd stands for 'rong hand drive' , than any snobbery existing vice versa :lol: .

:wink:
'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
'72 1302LS Karmann Cabrio RHD
lifeintheslowlane
15 years ago

No doubt you are all now going to roast me alive for saying this , but I find these days there is more snobbery from 'lefties' saying that rhd stands for 'rong hand drive' , than any snobbery existing vice versa :lol: .

:wink:

Ovalbug wrote:

Personally I've never come across this snobbery. As I say Left, Right it's all the same to me. Can't quite see your point about getting bashed from behind...they can see you no better if you're driving a RHD car than a LHD.
John.
15 years ago
Mine's a '57 LHD. As far as I am concerned then I don't really care whether the car is LHD or RHD. If it was a daily driver then I may but as a nice weather car I don't

Cheers
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

Having said that though, my preference is for rhd and that is based purely on the fact that I wouldn't feel safe with an old and slow lhd VW on todays roads,

Ovalbug wrote:

What? You worried about not being able to overtake?!:lol: :lol:
UserPostedImage
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

I would say also that once you have been to a H.O. or Camberg or similar vintage stock meeting and seen that ALL the early and rare cars, for example ALL 40's VWs ARE ONLY LHD!!

mrsherbie wrote:

What she said. I live in Germany, so I´m not really all that bothered about the LHD thing. Still can´t overtake anyone.

Good sig by the way MrsH! Wish I was witty and cool like that guy.
UserPostedImage
Ovalbug
15 years ago

Personally I've never come across this snobbery. As I say Left, Right it's all the same to me. Can't quite see your point about getting bashed from behind...they can see you no better if you're driving a RHD car than a LHD.

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

I've never experienced this on the road, but regularly encounter it on another VW forum where its apparently trendy to only own lhd VW's as that was the way Porsche etc designed them :roll: .
Appreciate what you say about visibility, but my point is that in a lhd split/oval/cabrio etc you cannot easily see what is behind you if you need to overtake an obstruction whilst on the road. A simple manoeuvre in a rhd vehicle becomes a bit of a drama in a lhd one........so purely for that reason I find them a bit unsafe in the UK.....

What? You worried about not being able to overtake?!:lol: :lol:

JD wrote:

I certainly am! :lol: :lol:

'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
'72 1302LS Karmann Cabrio RHD
55Kab
15 years ago

I've Got 2 LHD and 1 RHD Oval...I've also got a LHD 65 Cabrio, a LHD 69 Bay and a RHD 64 Bug, a RHD Trekker, a RHD 67 Splitty and RHD 70 Bay...

JULIANROBINSON wrote:

So which is it? It can't be a big house with a small garage, it must be a small house with a BIG garage!:lol:
55Kab
15 years ago

This ALSO seems to be a VERY common reason, and always the unwilling partner is a WOMAN! Oh no! :oops: 😳 but I can only put this down to lack of driving confidence or knowledge/experience of the woman again.

mrsherbie wrote:

Yep, you haven't seen my wife drive a manual have you! Let alone a LHD vintage VW...!!!:lol:
15 years ago

So which is it? It can't be a big house with a small garage, it must be a small house with a BIG garage!:lol:

55Kab wrote:

erm, bought a plot of land with a workshop and some tumble down garages... rebuilt the garages and filled the workshop... oh, and there is a 4 bed house on the land too :lol:

most importantly, I now have dry parking for 8-10 cars! 😎
www.vwoval.co.uk